Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cut plastic?

Options
  • 07-12-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I want to put a new side on our bath.

It needs to be cut to size.

What is the best way to cut this type of rigid, but prone to cracking, plastic?

I seem to recall reading somewhere once that a fine-toothed saw should be used. Does this mean a hacksaw?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I need to do something similar, any suggestions would be appreciated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get a Jigsaw with a special blade for cutting plastic/perspex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Johnny r.......... these panels are very sensitive I wouldn't try a jig saw because you can't hold it tight enough to stop any vibration causing cracks to run.

The smarter way would be to use the fine tooth hacksaw type blade you can get for a stanley knife.

Another way although it needs two to do it is use a sharp blade heated up with a blow lamp, use a piece of metal as a straight edge to follow.

Regardless of which way you go slowly and gently will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wonder would a small toothed blade on a Dremel or something like that do it?
    what you want is many, small teeth on whatever it is you are using
    (hence the hacksaw)

• Advertisement
Advertisement