Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet through company firewall to my workstation

Options
  • 07-12-2005 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm writing a small application that uses Winsock.

To keep things simple, lets just say its a chat program like ms messenger.

Can someone tell me how msn messenger is able to get through the company firewall - and route the reply message back to my workstation...my local lan ip address...1 local lan ip address out of hundreds.

for example, if i send a message to my mate... who's out on the web some where, he can reply and i get the message.
    how does messenger manage to route the message back through to the firewall to my lan ip address ?

if i wanted to run a webserver on my workstation, i have to get the IS dude to use port forwarding... so, from the firewall it forwards stuff to my webserver, but with msn messenger, this isnt necessary????

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Afaik its because a webserver needs a open incoming port while MSN doesn't.

It opens a outgoing port and due to the magic of NAT/your firewall/whatever you use when it gets a reply it knows pc x has a connection on this port and then forwards it back to your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

ah sheeet. i dont suppose i'd be able to do that with winsock.

i might try the programming forum to see if anything similar has been posted.

cheers,

Advertisement