Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to stream to tv

Options
  • 07-12-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I have my main pc upstairs which has all my media on it. My tv is downstairs what is the best way to watch stuff on the tv downstairs? I have tried wireless video senders and besides them not working with the pc well the quality wasn't good enough. I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to have an interface downstairs that I can chose what to watch and it will be streamed from my pc. I have thought of a modded XBox, running a cable down from the pc to the tv and installing media center. I'm open to any more suggests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You have a number of options for this (based on data streaming from a PC server)

A modded XBox will work, as will a HTPC.

Other options include something like this from hauppage
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.html

of something from KISS
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?KIS-DP1500

You can use a crossover cable for the LAN (if there's just 2 computers involved) or buy a 100Mb switch.

This is a better option (in my opinion) than trying to send the video/sound around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

XBMC is good alright, failing that:

what about a cheap (ie <€150) PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i just got me a Kiss DP-1500 Wifi DivX DVD Player, and it's great.

Only had it a day so far, but I'm finding it to be excellent for all my streaming needs.

wifi can be a bit of a bugger to set up, and it's limited in the ways it will allow you to have your wifi configured, but ethernet works perfectly out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Get a Pinnacle Showcentre 200. It's the daddy.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

These media devices are great for playing files sitting on a network drive somewhere. But let's say the media machine also has a TV capture card for recording and watching live TV.

Can any of these devices control that? ie change channels to start a stream of a program currently being broadcast. Can any interact with the PVR software to schedule recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

can any of these devices control that? ie change channels to start a stream of a program currently being broadcast. Can any interact with the PVR software to schedule recordings.

Well, in a way yes..... you have two options

1. Store the media on an MCE computer

With this you can use "extenders" to view the stored content, watch live tv, shedule recordings etc etc on the MCE computer. They are a set top box fo sorts. YOu can get them from linksysy and netgear, Xbox (although a little sluggish thru the xbox) However as they are typical limtited hardbware from MS. This mean you cannot watch divx from the extenders................yet hopefully there will be a workaround at some stage.

The xbox360 can also be used as a MCE extender.

2. Store the media on a MythTv server.

Similar to MCE, but linux-based with more scalability. You can of course install linux on your xbox and access the media from it.

I think hauppage have a piece of hardware that offers a similar client/server setup, but it seems to be pretty buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Just bought an Xbox in smyths for €115 incl. full spectrum warrior. Planning on installing a mod chip and xbox media center

Advertisement