Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John O'shea how crap are you?

• 07-12-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Ok this guy has to be the worse irish player ever, im sick to death hearing united fans say oh John O'shea is brilliant and all that , oh woop di do he scores two goals but that guy cant defend for his life , why the hell didn he close down the player that led up to the goal? I watch him week in week out in da premiership and he infuriates me he is just terribe and after his perfomance tonight he has jus sent me over the edge also get rid of those two stooges Sir Alex and Querioz and people blame Glazier blame Sir Alex !!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Another pointless thread. You could of posted this in the match thread. Shut this one down also mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

it has to be talked about, whats useless about it???

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Ok Utd fan here and I agree terrible terrible player. Tonights game a player a foot or so smaller pushing him off the ball, made me sick. Over-hyped beyond belief. It's a sad sad day.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

United as a team were **** tonight. JOS should not be singled out.

And you know whats worse come the weekend everybody will be saying how great he is again wat a joke!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

RasTa wrote:
    Another pointless thread. You could of posted this in the match thread. Shut this one down also mods!
    Jesus you don't seem to like threads.

He was/is poor but he is not alone. I was never a big fan of Ferdinand and think he is up there with Robbie Keane as one of the most overrated players.

Ferdinand dont even start me on him , he was a joke also along with silvestre !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Chubb76 wrote:
    it has to be talked about, whats useless about it???
    Everything. Talk about it in the match thread

ok man my apologises but im not talking bout tonights match in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

O'Shea has been utterly pathetic for a while. nothing to do with tonights match, how the fudge he holds down a place in that team, i could do better than him!

• Advertisement

Please Gabby Heinze come back!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

i could do better than him!
    Sure you could, that's why you're playing in the Premiership and O' Shea is posting on boards.ie. Oh wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Chubb76 wrote:
    Please Gabby Heinze come back!!!!!

One good thing to look forward to.

it'l be along wait thats the only thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

garred wrote:
    He was/is poor but he is not alone. I was never a big fan of Ferdinand and think he is up there with Robbie Keane as one of the most overrated players.
    I don't think overrated is the word you're looking for. I seem to be the only person in the Ireland or the UK that rates Keane and very few people rate O'Shea at all highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sure you could, that's why you're playing in the Premiership and O' Shea is posting on boards.ie. Oh wait.....

nah more like i dont like TV cameras and decided to concetrate on an engineering degree. thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't think overrated is the word you're looking for, very few people rate O'Shea at all highly.

Especially United fans. Howcome 90% of his passes seem to find an opposition player? the other 10% are either backwards or crabways like Ray Wilkins used to be*.

* Note any balls that actually go forward and find a United player are actually mis****. I meant miss hit

basically the last syllable above sums him up at the mo. He needs a brain transplant because his head isn't in it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just look at my sig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There were far worse players than JOS tonight, go scapegoat them.

Davei141 wrote:
    There were far worse players than JOS tonight, go scapegoat them.

Thiw wasnt united perfomance last nite it's about JOS in general he is just useless , and as for Ronaldo last night doing fancy Tricks, oi Ronaldo goals are the other way!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

People on here are gas. Have you actually been watching Utd in the last while? if so then you must be just jumping onto the Bandwagon. Of O'Shea is blah blah blah. Problem is that he has been one of the Utd been performers since Keane left. Discussed this on another thread and the problems he has had in season before was that he was in and out of the team and playing all across the back four or in the middle. Now I didnt see the Utd game last night but have seen the last few and he has been the best player at the back. Was imense against West Ham. I think people on here just single him out because he is Irish and Irish people are known to begrudge anyone that does better than them.

Watch back over the games and then rate him. Some of the stuff people on here come out with is gas.

In regards to the 90% passes going to opposition. Eirebhoy had stats before up here for % completion of passes at Utd. O'Shea was top. So can you please explain this statement? stats? prob not one that you have?

Can anyone explain exactly where in the game you seem to think that O'Shea was s**t and watever else was mentioned here. Just seems to be another rant about a player. Actually was waiting for a Keane one but it seems someone has mentioned him on here as well:rolleyes:

I ain't a Utd fan so the people on here saying "Well I'm a Utd fan and I think he is....." should actually watch there team. Also everyone on here going on about Heinze. Last season before he played everyone was on here saying he was s**t and so on and I said he was quality. Again I was right. Then yoou have the same people 2-3 months later saying I always knew he was a great signing:rolleyes: Fans are fickle but Utd fans seem to be one of the worst.

Maybe should rephrase that.....some of the Utd fans. Not all of them. This is not an attack either. Just seems that after they lose one game they pick on one player. In UK it is Flecter but on boards it is always O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have been critical of O shea in the pasr buthe has been playing very well of late. It would be qwrong to heap the blame on him for a poor team performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Big Nelly wrote:
    I think people on here just single him out because he is Irish and Irish people are known to begrudge anyone that does better than them.

I think it's because we see him playing poorly in a green shirt that gives Irish people the right to their opinion that he is not all that. It is not just his performances for Man Yoo that this thread is about. Remember the France game when he was moved to midfield? remember any games that he was good in when playing for his country? No, neither can I.

Overrated, and luckily, over at old trafford.

RustySpoon wrote:
    I think it's because we see him playing poorly in a green shirt that gives Irish people the right to their opinion that he is not all that. It is not just his performances for Man Yoo that this thread is about. Remember the France game when he was moved to midfield? remember any games that he was good in when playing for his country? No, neither can I.

Overrated, and luckily, over at old trafford.

Name any of the Irish players that have been playing good? most have been terrible and it was the managers fault here. Playing O'Shea in midfield should give you an idea of where the problem was there.

Also who else have we got to play? like we have that many quality players that have played regular in PL and ECL in the last 3 seasons? let me think.

Also read my thread. I have mentioned his form hasnt been the best in the last 2 seasons because of not been in team and moved around. He is in team and in same position week in week out and his form has got better and better.

There is a number of posts on here and the first thing they say is "Im a Utd fan.....". My point was if they where a Utd fan they would know he has been one of the best players in last while. Also nobody on here mentioned him playing for Ireland, everything was Utd. Nothing on Ireland. No mention of Ireland till now and to be honest the whoel team have been brutal so you can't just pick out O'Shea. Next it will be the "Robbie is sh*t" thread. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I dont rate o'shea and i never have. He is too loose on the ball and he gives it away too easily. He always seems to have a lazy approach to matches and i dont think he is a good defender.

In saying that he wasnt the worst united player last night and he has also being playing well of late. As for Ronaldo.........................:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Big Nelly wrote:
    Name any of the Irish players that have been playing good? most have been terrible and it was the managers fault here. Playing O'Shea in midfield should give you an idea of where the problem was there.

Also who else have we got to play? like we have that many quality players that have played regular in PL and ECL in the last 3 seasons? let me think.

Also read my thread. I have mentioned his form hasnt been the best in the last 2 seasons because of not been in team and moved around. He is in team and in same position week in week out and his form has got better and better.

There is a number of posts on here and the first thing they say is "Im a Utd fan.....". My point was if they where a Utd fan they would know he has been one of the best players in last while. Also nobody on here mentioned him playing for Ireland, everything was Utd. Nothing on Ireland. No mention of Ireland till now and to be honest the whoel team have been brutal so you can't just pick out O'Shea. Next it will be the "Robbie is sh*t" thread. :rolleyes:

The only reason i brought his Irish performances into the topic was that you mentioned that Irish people begrudge anyone who does better than them. Not being a Utd fan i don't get to see him live playing live except when he is playing for his country, that is what my assesment is based on plus a healthy/unhealthy interest in English Soccer.

Point taken on the number of Irish players that played well but instead of a (IMHO) poor Centre Half/Full back playing in the centre of the park against the former world and european champions we could have employed a number of far more suitable options.

Do you think John O'Shea would make it onto any of the top teams (Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal) back 4?
    If there were no injuries would you have him as one of Utd's back 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Big Nelly wrote:
    Fans are fickle but Utd fans seem to be one of the worst.
    I could not agree more!
    And while it is slightly off topic I have to say the Liverpool fans patience with Morrientes and Crouch this season has been phenominal. I'm an Arsenal supporter btw.

As for O'Shea, his form has picked up in the last few months, but it's also true to say that for the last year or 2 up until Hienze's injury he has been somewhat of a utility player and was for the most part beng played out of postition and this will have a detrimental effect on any players game.

Ronaldo last nite was a joke, but I think most defenders have learned that if you just shepard him into the corner, he'll happliy put his head down and run / step over blindly til he runs himself out of play or out of a dangerous position at least.

But United as a team are in trouble, but unlike some united fans, who are already calling for SAF and Queiroz's heads. I think they'll bounce back. It'll take time cos they're lacking depeth in the squad but never write Fergie off!

RustySpoon wrote:
    Do you think John O'Shea would make it onto any of the top teams (Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal) back 4?

O'Shea problem is the same problem that P Neville had at Utd, He is great in one position(O'Shea's been centre back) but can also fill in any number of gaps for the team when there is a problem. This means that AF uses him as a utility player to back up the whole back four without having to buy another defender as cover. Utd have no real cover at right/left back except youth players and O'Shea and Brown to some affect. Also Brown is a worse player than O'Shea but never mentioned on here. WHy is that? because he is from England and the press say he is great.

It saves Utd money but it means that O'Shea(till now) never got a run in first team in same position which has caused his lack of form. Also once he got a run together and started to get some form he would be back onto the bench.

I think he would get into Arsenals no problem. Playing alongside campbell. He is quality at centre back in any games I have seen him in that position. Cygan is better? now there is a donkey

Also I ain't getting into the Liverpool thing because I remember the thread on O'Shea when he got a new contract and I said he would walk into the team. Which I still feel is correct.

Chelsea he wouldn't walk into it but would be good backup. Who would replace Terry in the World? also not much better than Gallas or Carvalho(sp). Would be better than Huth or Johnson, so yes to answer your question all the top four teams would use him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

O'Shea maybe better than Cygan, but you're not setting the bar too high there are you?

But he's not as good as Toure, no way! Or Senderos for that matter, at Arsenal he'd be a 3rd choice, he'd take Cygans place, that'd be it.

But at United he competition is Brown and Silvestre, both of which I think he is better than on his day. Brown is too injury prone and generally crap and Silvestre will play well for 80 mins but will eventually loose concentration and that usually ends up costing united dearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

RustySpoon wrote:
    Ahead of either Silvestre or Ferdinand? Definitely, yes. Its shocking how bad Ferdinand actually is.

O'Shea has being playing well at left back recently because he hasn't being moved about and has being playing regularly. Imagine if he tied down a regular spot in his natural position at CB - he could easily be better than Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He'd get into the Liverpool defence ahead of Traore also.

Grimlock wrote:
    O'Shea maybe better than Cygan, but you're not setting the bar too high there are you?

But he's not as good as Toure, no way! Or Senderos for that matter, at Arsenal he'd be a 3rd choice, he'd take Cygans place, that'd be it.

But at United he competition is Brown and Silvestre, both of which I think he is better than on his day. Brown is too injury prone and generally crap and Silvestre will play well for 80 mins but will eventually loose concentration and that usually ends up costing united dearly.

Better than Cygan and althou Senderos will be class still very young so for this season and maybe next I think Wenger would put him before Senderos, Wenger doesnt like to drop players in it too much. Senderos made a few mistake and was taken out pretty quick for a more experienced defender. Toure is about the same level as O'Shea. Not much better. Watch o'Shea play a game at centre half and then rate them

Silvestre is a left back. End of story. Brown is a joke. He is only rated because he is english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

john o shea tries his best not brilliant . however he does have a contract with one of the biggest clubs in the world do u? no thought not so give him a break

chiller wrote:
    john o shea tries his best not brilliant . however he does have a contract with one of the biggest clubs in the world do u? no thought not so give him a break

WHo you talking to? this aimed at anyone in particular?

person who started the thread he proberly doesnt play football o shea is a great centre back and would get into most denfences in the premiership maybe except chelsea

• Advertisement

chiller wrote:
    person who started the thread he proberly doesnt play football o shea is a great centre back and would get into most denfences in the premiership maybe except chelsea

I think that was the point I was making. Just went into a bit more detail:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Techinically he's ok but lacks commitment and concentration!!

i will always back players i know can perfrom becauses they have shown good form b4 all our defenders have done. having a bad spell at the moment all clubs go through them were still in three competitions good chance of winning at least 2 of them all is not lost and if ferguson manages 2 win all three the haters will have to shut up than **** happens we will bounce back we always do everton will get hammered at the weekend hope sheasy gets another one to add to the two he has already has come on united

i will always back players i know can perfrom becauses they have shown good form b4 all our defenders have done. having a bad spell at the moment all clubs go through them were still in three competitions good chance of winning at least 2 of them all is not lost and if ferguson manages 2 win all three the haters will have to shut up than **** happens we will bounce back we always do everton will get hammered at the weekend hope sheasy gets another one to add to the two he has already come on united

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

chiller wrote:
    i will always back players i know can perfrom becauses they have shown good form b4 all our defenders have done. having a bad spell at the moment all clubs go through them were still in three competitions good chance of winning at least 2 of them all is not lost and if ferguson manages 2 win all three the haters will have to shut up than **** happens we will bounce back we always do everton will get hammered at the weekend hope sheasy gets another one to add to the two he has already come on united

Im not trying to be smart or anything mate but if you put in a few full stops and commas or whatever, it makes your post alot easier to read. At the moment, its just one big sentence. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'm a big Man U fan. I think the problem with O'Shea is that it all went to his head - plus - we all had great expecatations from him after his fantastic first season.

Since then he hasn't improved, but looks like he has got worse.

Technically, I've never been a fan of O'Shea, but in that first season he was fantastic.

I still always felt his first touch let him down. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but he seems to like his first touch to push the ball in the air. It's hard to explain with words, but it always seems to bounce of his foot with his first touch. Have a closer look at his game next time and you'll see what I mean.

Of late he has started to get some consistency back. I don't think he was any better or worse of late - last night.

He's an average player that had great potential when he started, but hasn't progressed and I think thats more down to his attitude than his ability.

I believe he could be a good player, but I think he thinks he's arrived and is good enough - but he's not - he needs to improve and keep on improving to get to his true potential.

In all this though - someone mentioned heinze..... I think he will be found out after time, just like Heskey for liverpool.... I don't rate heinze - i love his passion and his willingness to fight for a game - but i think he's a timebomb just waiting to get caught out.

For the record - I'd put John O'Shea in there any day before Silvestre.... that guy is really really really poor - he lacks concentration and just loves to play the long balll....

We could go on for ever - uniteds best days have come to end for this era. Alex was right to say that he has to build a new team - but is alex the right guy to do this...... i think not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think it has more to do with O'Shea being a confidence player. Everyone is on his back at the minute and I'm sure its getting to him.

Not so long ago, many people were calling for him to be named youth player of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Lemlin wrote:
    I think it has more to do with O'Shea being a confidence player. Everyone is on his back at the minute and I'm sure its getting to him.

Not so long ago, many people were calling for him to be named youth player of the season.

Thre's confident and there's over confident. When those were calling for him to be youth player of the year - they were right he deserved it then.

But there is a youth player of the year because they can't compete with real players of the year for that title - but they may in the future...

He hasnt improved at all! imo

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

JOS can have his good games, but then again he can have terrible games, just like anyone else. Last night, I didnt think he had a good game, most of the team didnt. But JOS has a good contract at one of the most well known clubs in the entire world, so he must have done something right to deserve that. Problem is, he has played right across the back four for United already this season because of injuries etc. He can be a decent centre back sometimes but unfortunately Silvestre "doesnt know how to play left back anymore" (that came from his own mouth) so JOS was the only real left back to pick last nite. The sooner Gabby is back the better tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with a lot of what you said tomED
    tomED wrote:
    I'm a big Man U fan. I think the problem with O'Shea is that it all went to his head - plus - we all had great expecatations from him after his fantastic first season.

Since then he hasn't improved, but looks like he has got worse.

Technically, I've never been a fan of O'Shea, but in that first season he was fantastic.

I still always felt his first touch let him down. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but he seems to like his first touch to push the ball in the air. It's hard to explain with words, but it always seems to bounce of his foot with his first touch. Have a closer look at his game next time and you'll see what I mean.

Of late he has started to get some consistency back. I don't think he was any better or worse of late - last night.

He's an average player that had great potential when he started, but hasn't progressed and I think thats more down to his attitude than his ability.

I believe he could be a good player, but I think he thinks he's arrived and is good enough - but he's not - he needs to improve and keep on improving to get to his true potential.

In all this though - someone mentioned heinze..... I think he will be found out after time, just like Heskey for liverpool.... I don't rate heinze - i love his passion and his willingness to fight for a game - but i think he's a timebomb just waiting to get caught out.

For the record - I'd put John O'Shea in there any day before Silvestre.... that guy is really really really poor - he lacks concentration and just loves to play the long balll....

We could go on for ever - uniteds best days have come to end for this era. Alex was right to say that he has to build a new team - but is alex the right guy to do this...... i think not.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

A left back or a centre back that can play left back will be signed in the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't know what he's like for ManU but he's muck for Ireland. I'd have Harte in ahead of him EVEN if he couldn't kick a dead ball, THATS how little I think of JOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I agree with what TomED said about JoS thinking he's arrived and taking his foot off the gas.

I do believe that he can be quite good. His major problems are a lack of agression and this piss poor distribution that he's been delivering this season. I would rather see him get a bit of a run at centre back to see if he can step up to the plate before dismissing him all together.

I do agree that he has been shockingly bad in green for the best part of two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ya have Harte starting over him in an Ireland jersey ANY day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

where is this "john oshea is great" and "the hype" coming from cause ive never once heard those comments or felt them myself. hes is pure muck and should not be allowed in the squad for either club or country. mikael silvestre is worse though. cant see why he didnt play brown. brown isnt great but he has been playin good in the past few games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement