Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a pub logo.How much should I charge?

Options
  • 07-12-2005 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have been approached recently by a pub to design their logo which will be used for some years to come.it will be featured on their outdoor signage,match boxes,beer mats,menus,work shirts etc.

Have quite alot of experience designing logos but these have been for trade or a few quid for websites or whatever.

Bearing in mind that my design will be used throughout the pub,i.e regarding trademark/copyright issues,can someone give me educated advice on what I should consider charging?

Don't really want to approach the crowd I work for as they may frown upon it,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

try..

www.creativeireland.com very helpful for this sort fo stuff. Wish I could help you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hey guys,

Have been approached recently by a pub to design their logo which will be used for some years to come.it will be featured on their outdoor signage,match boxes,beer mats,menus,work shirts etc.

Have quite alot of experience designing logos but these have been for trade or a few quid for websites or whatever.

Bearing in mind that my design will be used throughout the pub,i.e regarding trademark/copyright issues,can someone give me educated advice on what I should consider charging?

Cheers
    I'd recommend charging them a fair bit. They're going to be using it a LOT so they'll get a lot of use out of it and pubs in general can well afford it...

Then again getting a publican to pay top dollar for something can be damn hard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

get a keg off them for it.

or

decide an hourly rate for yourself, estimate the time it takes and charge accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

drevil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ha ha donkey style,laughed my perverbial ass off

A bit steep though don't ya think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

in general logo designs priced between €300 and €500

just depending on the amount of work required and the amount of times you have to redo it plus there is different styles and formats to condsider will one design do all their needs?

an extensive project can cost upto €800

frodo_dcu wrote:
    in general logo designs priced between €300 and €500
    an extensive project can cost upto €800

yeh maybe in Uzbekistan, this frodo lad is obviously still a student with no real experience.

logos often cost 1000 plus, as I said before just calculate your time and number of revisions, otherwise you'll be working 2 weeks for €300

Well this is a logo for a pub i didn't really anticipate 2 weeks work i don't see the need for more than 2 full days work assuming an hour here and there adding up 16 hrs and you get paid €500 that’s over €30 an hour.

I don't know what salary expectations you have but I’d be happy with that.

Also its impossible to calculate how much time you will spend a project like this before you do it you might get it done in 2hrs finished and the clients happy or you might have to got back 4 or 5 times to get it right

Either way you should be covered with an estimate quotation you can always up the final bill if the client was particularly tricky.
    A note on dealing with publicans; try to make sure to get your money before delivering the final files. I would even consider asking for some up front and the remainder on delivery

Anyway good luck with the job Paddy

Ps
    Do you always just spout the first thing that comes into your head heggie?
    And I assuming u think I’m an inexperienced student cos of my user name just to let you know you are well off, it is quite an old user name that I still use.

very good ye old one(registered Dec 2005) . Student or OAP, you clearly are inexperienced in graphic design. anyway to your points
    edit: your 21 u muppet, i was right.
    frodo_dcu wrote:
    hat’s over €30 an hour.
    lol, is that all you'd charge for design? my point is made.
    frodo_dcu wrote:
    Also its impossible to calculate how much time you will spend a project
    no, any professional can do this.
    frodo_dcu wrote:
    I would even consider asking for some up front
    Not gonna happen.
    frodo_dcu wrote:
    ith an estimate quotation you can always up the final bill
    No u cant u pure idiot. OP u need to set out a clause in your contract if revisions exceed a set amount then you bill as additional work.
    frodo_dcu wrote:
    Do you always just spout the first thing that comes into your head
    No, but i hope you do, otherwise you are extremely stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd be looking at no less than 1k, even then I feel that's with you being generous, as someone else said, they'll be extensively using your work through beermats, pub banner etc.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

*sigh*

heggie banned for one week for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

frodo, you forgot to take away the cost of sales from the €30 per hour!

You may well get paid a gross of that, although it should be more. After your cost of sales you could be looking are nearer €15 ph which is not much!

lol @ heggie i'm 21 yet it would seem alot more mature than you.
    Hey guys,

Cheers

sorry if may pricing ideas seem way way off to you profesionals but this noob was just trying to give quote based on the brief supplied not a whole load of other stuff the guy will be doing part time cos he works elsewhere he knows the client personaly so ask 1000+ of your local publican for an image will seem a bit excesive to him

btw in reply trademark/copyright issues the main thing to worry about is to make sure the font you use is copyright free i would acctually create my own font using illustartor etc

edit: must learn to use real words like thing and not thig

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

frodo_dcu wrote:
    sorry if may pricing ideas seem way way off to you profesionals but this noob was just trying to give quote based on the brief supplied not a whole load of other stuff the guy will be doing part time cos he works elsewhere he knows the client personaly so ask 1000+ of your local publican for an image will seem a bit excesive to him

btw in reply trademark/copyright issues the main thing to worry about is to make sure the font you use is copyright free i would acctually create my own font using illustartor etc

edit: must learn to use real words like thing and not thig
    Also full-stops. They're the little dots that signify the end of a sentence.;)

heggie wrote:
    ...otherwise you'll be working 2 weeks for €300
    Whenever you get back heggie :D, you might consider that the guy will be doing this on and off evenings/weekends over maybe 2 weeks. If that's all I was asked to do, I would be more than happy with €300 at the end of it all. That's €300 more than I would have had if I didn't do it.

As for your remark about €30 an hour;
    heggie wrote:
    lol, is that all you'd charge for design? my point is made.
    Top design companies would only charge €100 - €150 an hour (appx) of which the designer rarely sees €30. I'd like the number of your HR dept. if you're getting more than that.

Also full-stops. They're the little dots that signify the end of a sentence.;)
    Sorry about that. My grammer is terable. and spelling too.

totaly agree with what you jack

i love to know what kind of qoute paddy went with

frodo_dcu wrote:
    i love to know what kind of qoute paddy went with
    Yes, it's one of those interesting ones, I think you just gotta grab what you can. I mean, if you're only working evenings/weekends you are effectively removing the opportunity for the client to contact you during the day, therefore slowing down the design process. I think any reasonable designer would see the logic in reducing fees because of this. Anyone disagree?

Obviously, if you are full-time, and relying on this as a source of income, then to charge reduced rates would only serve to undermine the whole design industry. Nixers are meant to be cheap, that's why people get nixers (nixors?) done. They sacrifice certain aspects of the job (obviously these should not be 'quality') for reduced costs.

And so, to the OP, €300 euro for a logo is seems fine to me. Hope it works out for you :)

Advertisement