Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Wireless

• 07-12-2005 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

With my plans of getting a PSP I've decided it's time to go wireless. Unfortunately I am a complete dunce when it comes to these things. I have the Netopia 3341, which I got from Eircom when I started on Broadband in August 04. Will Eircom provide me with a new wireless modem or will I have to shell out some hard earned cash in order to satiate my appetite for gaming online with the PSP? And if the second option is the one I must take, is there a cheaper alternative?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

no, best thing is to get a box of tricks like the Linksys WRT54GS. Very common router, not too expensive and plenty of boardsies have experience with it. it can interface with your nettopia which will go in bridge mode, and has a wireless access point and a wired four port switch. also includes a firewall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Or replace the modem with an ADSL wireless modem router all in the one box. Similar to above but with the modem built in. It's a piece of cake to setup, once you have all your ISP details to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

How much would either of these two set me back though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Have a look on Komplett,

I have a WRT54gs paid at the time think it was around 90euro's for it, great router easy to setup and use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I got this chap - includes a PCMCIA card which you might not need, you might be able to get the router on its own for cheaper.

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DG834G-WG511

• Advertisement
Advertisement