Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scouts has taught me.

Options
  • 07-12-2005 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

I was never in scouts,

but I was in the beavers, it really helped me find myself what did you get out of scouting/guiding?

(besides the trips)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I can tie a clove hitch.
    And maybe some other knots.

It's hard to say, really. I've been doing scouts/guides for a long, long time, so it's difficult to separate between what it taught me and what I may have picked up outside of it in the course of the last 8 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Scouts is more than just going on trips and getting to know other people.
    I find that it encourages people to be more outgoing and assertive. It's like school in a way, you're with other people your own age, but it's a far more social context.
    Also I can now pitch tents and read maps reasonably well*.

*Don't test me on that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i can convince places to hire me,

( i got my first job at 16 when the girl interviewing me saw on my cv that i was a trainee cub leader, and she was one)

jackpot....

other then that, taught me Values, How to administer First aid, How to light a fire using 2 matchs, ( some day i will do it in one)
    Pitch an icelantic tent, tie decent enough knots, build a raft that carries 6 people across a lake using only timber and water barrels. i was in scouts when i had my first kiss ( red haired girl from Galway, in Fota wildlife park, ( i was 10))

god i love scouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

What did i learn from scouts?

How to eat various raw insects, various mountain navigation skills, how to organise things more effectively, it has enlightened and changed my way of looking at the world, particularly where immigration and trade issues are concerned.

On a lighter hearted note i had my first girlfriend in scouts (she shall remain nameless), learned tactical movement (avoiding leaders whilst sneaking between tents) and tracking (hunting down others doing the same thing as a leader!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i made friends i'm still best friends with years after i left, learnt how to boss people around, never to sleep at the door of an icelandic with a storm coming, rolling down mountains with no helmet can result in brain damage, anything tastes good when your frozen and its hot. girls you once think are hot, change in appearance after two days of dirt encrusted in them, they're great for dirt cheap holidays(if ya can hack the idea of never being more than 20 meters from the leader for 95% o the time).

oh and i also learnt never fall asleep in a tent with ronny mitchell in luxembourg unless you want to have your first gay experience thrusted upon you...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

about the outdoors
    hiking
    camping
    climbing
    orieenteering
    water sports
    archery

(probly wouldnt have done any of them outside scouts)

how to pitch/look after a huge variety of tents
    how to cook on fires
    how to organise/budget/prepare for camps/weekends etc
    how to drink;)
    safety/management/leadership/assertivness/teamwork/first aid/map reading

and on and on and on.
    scouts is/was invaluable to me

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I was n the girl scouts when I was little,
    the only thing I learned that I can still remember is how to do my name in sign language :)

the rest was doing crafts, treasure hunts, learning to read maps with symbols, and camping with girls to whom youd like to shave thier head while asleep. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've forgotten alot of stuff, but I reckon I could still put up a tent, use a map and compass, treat hypothermia(provided I have one of those silver blankets with me ;)), and maybe just about tie a crap reef knot.
    But scouts is probably fairly responsable for teaching me whatever rudimentry social skills I've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I learned how to insult bald people more effectively. Our leader was bald and scouts for us consisted of an hour long slagging session once a week. Good times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

oh and i also learnt never fall asleep in a tent with ronny mitchell in luxembourg unless you want to have your first gay experience thrusted upon you...:p

Blackrock scouts :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

i can:
    climb a mountain with a rucksack full of stuff
    spend 4 days in the wilderness
    survive hypothermia (twice)
    pitch an icelandic flawlessly
    build an alter fire
    and I've a lot of great memories and funny anecdotes...ah I miss it...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Kingp35 wrote:
    Blackrock scouts :rolleyes:

yup one and only, you in/been in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I learn how to:
    canoe
    fire crossbows
    use walkietalkies
    march
    salute
    read maps
    pitch tents
    abseil
    drive go-karts
    shoot air rifles
    smoke

and lastly cook whole chickens in biscuit tins hidden under trees roots!!

Ray Mears how are ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Flipflip

i learned **** all.

haha, and im a leader now! brilliantly ironic!

in fairness tho, i learned how to handbrake and doghnut a car, and i also leanred to drive from it.

i learned how to get our leaders to take the blame for stuff we did while we laughed and watched" brilliant.

i learned how to take a beating.(birthdays, etc.)

And I learned how to work the kitchen in mellary, and i stand by the claim that i was part of one of the best crews that ever tackled mellary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Most of my life's philosophies I learnt from Scouting:

"It'll do"
    "You don't need dinner, you've got biscuits"
    "If it's free, fill your pockets"
    "If it's tight, it's right. If it's loose, it's no use"

And I learned how to drive a 20 ton fire engine down the runway at Casement on The Air Activities Weekend a few years ago.

Good Times

learnt how to shoot a gun too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Smoking, drinking, chasing women (not neccesarily in that order)...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Ragazza

How to do all manner of practical stuff, travel safely on your own as a girly, be all independent, chase scouts from and early age at mixed camps and stand happily on my own two feet.

I would not be the person I am today if my mother had not sent me to guides and brownies.

(She packed me off on a two week international camp in England where I knew noone at twelve, sink or swim, before that I was a shy child)

I am a leader now, I have traveled all over the world, alone and with guide groups.

Its all good.:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

familyguy wrote:
    Most of my life's philosophies I learnt from Scouting:

"It'll do"
    "You don't need dinner, you've got biscuits"
    "If it's free, fill your pockets"
    "If it's tight, it's right. If it's loose, it's no use"

And I learned how to drive a 20 ton fire engine down the runway at Casement on The Air Activities Weekend a few years ago.

Good Times

you forgot the classic

"its black therefor its cooked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

The way most of our fires went, the food didn't have time to go black.

This might explain the "You don't need dinner, you've got biscuits" quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Scouts:

Learned huge variety of knots and lashings, how to light fires and cook on them in the wilderness, how to read maps, to always carry an emergency stash of liquid and food on your person, how to iron my uniform, how to sew merit badges onto uniform, how to distract a leader so that we could rob goodies from the store tent, how to blame other scouts for things I had done...perhaps I'll stop there :D

Advertisement