Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know the story with irish broadband?

• 07-12-2005 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

i put in my order with the website yesterday morning and asked for direct debit, but havent got a conformation email about it yet, anyone else here order it and have to wait a while?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i put in my order with the website yesterday morning and asked for direct debit, but havent got a conformation email about it yet, anyone else here order it and have to wait a while?

wow there even that bad before you even get an order confirmation.

One tip for ya mate, cancel the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Cancel it now!!! get out while you can. Still waiting to see if they are still billing me next month. I still have their gear somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

.....right starting to get slighly nervous
    and what are the main problems with it
    i know there are prob loads but a few will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Jesus just look back at the problems people have been having.....Its the Worst thing i ever did....There is nothin good about a Few problems... There main one it doesnt work and if that is a problem you can deal with off with ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You would want IBB if there was no alternative.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You would want IBB if there was no alternative.
    From what I can see, dial-up seems to be a viable alternative to IBB. They tried to install it in my house last year and couldn't get a signal - I'm so glad I couldn't get it in the end. We use them in work and they are rubbish - even for business customers. I'd say we have outages every 2nd day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Do yourself a favor and cancel the order.

You are going to be on these boards 3 weeks after install complaining about dial up speeds. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Top 5 problems? Here we go...

1) Connection is unreliable at its best. It goes up and down quite frequently (at least two-four times a month). How long it goes down for varies. I.e. it could be 30 mins, or it could be 5 hours. You learn to get used to it.
    2) Packetloss has been known to average 10-15% 24x7. This makes gaming and VoIP impossible. Even MMORPG's like WoW are nearly unplayable at times.
    3) Speeds vary hugely. Expect an average of 1meg on a 2meg connection, if you're lucky. Some people get full speeds, others get dialup. Once again, get used to it.
    4) Tech support delete emails without reading them (or so it seems).
    5) Their tech support is overburdened with calls, so expect long waiting times on the phone.
    6) Tech support rarely answer emails. I can't remember the last email they answered.
    7) They consistantly wait til they run out of bandwidth before provisioning for more, resulting in long waiting times (over 3months in the last case) til they upgrade their backhaul. This means you have a ****e connection for at least 3 months (or whatever).

Ok, thats 7. I decided to stop there. I'm sure i can get more problems if you want to hear more...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Do, cancel asap. Compare the IBB feedback on this board to ANY other provider and you'll get the picture. Sure, they all have problems, but you'd expect that - not to the level of IBB though. Cancel, cancel, cancel!!!!!

• Advertisement

Packet loss was actually around 60% for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 agrady

I got a confirmation letter posted to my house within a few days - 3 weeks later no sign of anything. I called them up to find out my "credit card" details hadn't been processed properly (I actually gave them laser card details but anyway..) Several more weeks of phoning and emailing [with no response to the emails], and I eventually got my modem after about 2 months. Sorry I bothered, it's unuseably slow for me at times! I will definitely be changing providers asap. In fact I just logged onto the forum to make sure I choose a better service this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I had ripwave for a bit and it was kinda rubbish but it was fine as i had no phoneline in my house and didn't want one - it did work tho (i live close to guinness)
    I now have breeze and have no complaints - i use it for work so when there was a bit of a delay in getting it installed i had my (rather tenacious) boss call them up and *insist*.

I read many of the posts on IBB on these boards and was also nervous - however all i can say is that ,honestly , my experience with them and their service has been almost entirely positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

when its good its great when its bad its ****e. And yes mine is great :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Is NET1 like IBB ?? I know they use they same back haul but do they get the same slow download rates like 4k/sec ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

A girl in my job rang them 3 months ago and the IBB girls asked for her DD details so she gave them but never heard anything back from them she then rang them last week and the said she wasnt in the right area for rip"off" wave ..even though she lies in jamees street which is about 200 yards from the guinnesses tower ???
    she got her bank statement this week and it works out she has been paying for the last 3 months for rip"off"wave ...she never signed any paper work or never gave written premmission ....?????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel the order.

For the past 2 months I have had nothing but grief with the connection. I have called them, emailed them and written to them and they don't reply to anything.

- Customer Service is terrible.
    - When it worked, it was great but that feels like a long time ago.
    - I introduced friends and customers to the service but never again.
    - I have found my emails to Customer Service deleted without being read (I have copies of the certs here)
    - When you write to "senior" people (I have copies of the letters here), they do not extend the courtesy of a reply.
    - The Broadband Industry is unregulated in Ireland and so Comreg cannot help. The Office of Consumer Affairs cannot help me.

Which alternative would I recommend to you. I can't until this service is regulated.

Good luck in your quest but listen to the advice from everyone here - Cancel the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

ed6hellsfresh, cancel ... the proof is not just in this thread .. but many others.

dubdvd, they don't need written permission for a DD (provided they have their own agreement in place with their bank), verbal is just as good. AFAIK they are meant to send out a written confirmation, but I'm not certain on that.

TBH, if it was me, I'd send a registered letter to IBB and a fax to ther bank. The bank fax will say that you've sent written instruction to IBB to cease the DD agreement, and that you require the bank to send a similar notice as per Appendix 8 of the Direct Debit Scheme Rules.

The registered letter to IBB is to cease DD effective immediately, and to seek proof of delivery of product/service or a full refund of the amounts (list, with dates) within 10 working days. Include contact details.

If they didn't respond within that time, I'd just go straight to the small claims court, and to hell with their nonsense.

You should probably recommend she contact a citizens advice bureau or the consumers association (if she's a member) first.

.cg

Advertisement