Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harsh tackles, should the rules be changes

• 08-12-2005 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

In the wake of Essiens tackle, and many other serious tackles should the rules be changed so Uefa can take action,
    when the referees dont book the offender
    and should
    the referee be seriousely punished.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

This rule that if the referee has seen a tackle, his judgement is final really confuses me. Surely if video evidence can be used for off-the-ball incidents not seen by referees then it can be used in instances (like last nights "tackle") where the referee see's it but gets his judgement completely wrong.

By the way, Essien really isn't winning any fans with his ridiculous and apparently indiscriminate lunges. Have yet to see anything of him in a Chelsea shirt to convince me he's even worth €5m.

____OT: Sandals buddy, how many threads have you started today mate???____

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I would disagree with you about Essien, he has been pure brilliant in some matches of late

_______OT: an awful lot, I even posted in Athletics and Darts Forum, am't I great______

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah they should look again at bad tackles. Another thing that should come under scrutiny is diving in the box. I can see a day where a major final (possible world cup final) is decided by some gobsh1te diving in the box in the last minute and getting the penalty. Nip it in the bud now before its too late.

yeah but they always worry about things, after they happend think of Liverpool and the European Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Why are you creating so may threads in here???? You must be full of questions :)

On topic: They should not change the rules but enforce the current ones better, the ref in tonihts united game was the same one int he ireland Israel game in landsdown (correct me if I'm wrong) and he let players play dead timwasting for the guts of 6-8 minutes in the second half, 6 subs and still only awarded 4 mins extra time. Its the basics they are getting wrong and there needs to be a crackdown.

Look at all the footage of Bestie thats been knocking around the past week or so......tackles flying in, players got on with it and played. There was relatively no diving back then, because refs didn't fall for it. The tougher approach on niggly tackles is what has led to the diving in todays game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Sandals wrote:
    yeah but they always worry about things, after they happend think of Liverpool and the European Champions League.
    Yeah but that was just lax by the FA. The Spanish FA had a "law" in place in their league to combat what happened in the Liverpool case.
    It just bugs the hell out of me seeing games decided with this diving crap.

garred wrote:
    Yeah but that was just lax by the FA. The Spanish FA had a "law" in place in their league to combat what happened in the Liverpool case.
    It just bugs the hell out of me seeing games decided with this diving crap.

yeah that is very true I agree with you its just these guys din't like giving themselves work

sorry that was quiet hard to see i was experimenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

it really annoys me when you see the diving and the play acting that goes on at matches. The benfica keeper was as bad as the israel keeper :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Breakingnews.iol.ie

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has given UEFA the green light to take disciplinary action against Michael Essien for the Chelsea midfielder’s shocking foul on Liverpool’s Dietmar Hamann.

Essien’s knee-high challenge was missed by German referee Herbert Fandel but Blatter confirmed that under the rules of the game UEFA could use video evidence to bring charges against the Chelsea player.

Blatter told a news conference in Leipzig: “In 1994 the FIFA executive committee took a decision that the disciplinary committee can use television evidence in the case of infractions against the laws of the game that have not been identified by the referee.

“As this happened in a Champions League game it is up to UEFA to decide whether to review video evidence.”

In October, Essien escaped any further disciplinary action following another dangerous tackle on Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim despite referee Rob Styles, after reviewing TV footage, wanting to upgrade the yellow card he awarded to red.

The Football Association consulted FIFA and were told that the decision could not be reversed.

Blatter appeared to contradict that today by saying “if it was a blatant red card and only a yellow card was given the disciplinary body can transfer it“, but FIFA communications director Markus Siegler later clarified the rules.

Siegler said: “You cannot upgrade or downgrade one card to another but you can take action if the referee has not seen an incident.”

UEFA are waiting for reports from referee Frandel and match delegate Indrek Kannik of Spain before deciding whether to take action.

Something needs to be done, before he seriously injures someone. A couple of inchs higher and he could have smashed Hamann's knee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement