Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Toilets in Dublin

Options
  • 08-12-2005 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a complete lack of public toilets in Dublin, I find myself often been forced to "go" in a McDonalds,

where I am from there are many, and they are great meeting places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Ha, I had intended to start a thread on this but kept forgetting.
    F**k all public toilets in Dublin. But the ones I know that are free and don't involve going into a fast-food place are
    -Jervis Centre
    -Top Floor of Easons(Tower Records)
    And that's all I can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh... but it's such a long bloody walk to those Jervis street toilets... the corridor is massive...

Brown Thomas have some very nice toilets on the top floor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, top floor.

I'm not aware of ANY provided by the council. Or are those superloos still there beside O'Connell Bridge?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

they used to have em in blackrock park...and stephens green by the looks of them dodgy buildings but its a breeding ground for ladies of the night a untrustworthy old men with candy... stephens green shopping center has nice ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Not to mention they would be covered in syringes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

debenhams has toilets in their restaurant and in their basement

the ilac centre had public toilets in the parnell street mall

arnotts has toilets

but i dont think there's any in the city that are provided by the council

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There are public toilets in St. Stephens Green itself.... eh... enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

plenty of pubs where one could just stroll in... an sneek down to the loo's...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

stag39 wrote:
    plenty of pubs where one could just stroll in... an sneek down to the loo's...:D

That's the clever thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Stephens green SC charges 20cent to use the toilets and there not even well looked after. What a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dont forget the top hotels lads... often pop it's the Westbury for a 5-star piss... :D

(It's what all the taxi drivers do)

its easiest to just do a McPee though, don't ya think.

They're everywhere and nearly always open.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Sandals wrote:
    where I am from there are many, and they are great meeting places.

I suspect that there is a great lack of nightlife where you come from...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

In Dublin the undergound public toilets were removed some years ago after the last George Michael Concert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Trevko

Has anyone noticed that the toilets you have to pay to get in are one of the most horrible and dodgy. The one in the ilac use to make me spew but now they have a new set of toilets in the ilac beside O'Briens,I say well done on that.If Im not mistaken wasnt there public toilet where the Anna Livia thing used to be?

Trevko wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that the toilets you have to pay to get in are one of the most horrible and dodgy. The one in the ilac use to make me spew but now they have a new set of toilets in the ilac beside O'Briens,I say well done on that.If Im not mistaken wasnt there public toilet where the Anna Livia thing used to be?
    they took it away!

They filled it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 amigaboy

it's still there, it's a crypt in waiting for the great charles j. haughey, and when he dies a bust like the one in dingle/daingean (down by the banks...) will be put there to remember him by, that and the monument already erected to his memory - the spire - which is symbolic of the big dick that he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The various toilets around the city were just plain dangerous. Ladys of the night were never really a problem but boys were. There were never really that many around the city.
    There are plans to put toilets on O'Connol Street. For what ever reason there is a lack of will to put toilets all around the city. It has to be said vandalism plays a huge part in this just look at the phone boxes and bus stops around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If you can stomach it, there are quite good ones in Trinity.

Down around the National Gallery, the Science Buildings are always open if you're there during the day. Swipe card access only at night though.

More towards the quays, the Arts Block (the building that has a gate onto Nassau Street) has toilets about 10 seconds walk from the Nassau St. Just go into the building, turn right before you go out towards Front Square and they're just down the steps.

After midnight, it tends to be a Burger King/McDonald's job though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Public toilets have and always will be disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

stag39 wrote:

Ah I remember a few months back i was bursting so ran into the purple pub on gorges street corner (I think thats the George) and ran downstairs and went to the loo and was walking out but got thrown out for being 14 and not gay and being in the pub in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ah I remember a few months back i was bursting so ran into the purple pub on gorges street corner (I think thats the George) and ran downstairs and went to the loo and was walking out but got thrown out for being 14 and not gay and being in the pub in the first place

Yup, that's the George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

:)

Agreed any pay toilets are disgusting - the old Ilac, St Stephen's Green Centre and the Swan Centre toilets are all at best not up to much considering you have to pay.

Working in the city centre for quite a number of years, I have found the best toilets to be:

Brown Thomas By a long shot. Use the basement ones beside the restaurant to avoid the embarrassing attendant that lives in the first floor one. They're usually empty down there too, and of course have lovely handwash :). Also they're cleaned every half hour.

Jervis Centre You have to walk yes, and upstairs too - but plentiful and generally spotless.

Marks and Spencer on Henry/Liffey St - surprising new discovery only yesterday located on the first floor. Very clean & quiet.

Clerys, top of the Grand Staircase :). Small, but clean.

McDonalds Grafton St. Admittedly often full of scangers, but generally clean and well fitted out. No competition though with BT across the road.

National Gallery, just off the entrance hall. Clean and quiet.

National Museum Not somewhere you'd think of, but handy right next to the business district, and make for an educational experience. Lovely Victorian fittings still intact, spotless and quiet - located to the rear of the main exhibition hall.

New Ilac toilets At last! Bright, airy, clean and convenient. A welcome addition to the city centre :). Will probably be quiet after Christmas.

Arnotts isn't great for the mens - at times smelly and dirty, but can be decent enough in the mornings or after being cleaned. Awkward to get to though.

And thus concludes the journey through the world of Dublin sanitation.

Of course the worst by a long shot have to be the toilets of Burger King on O'Connell St. Absolutety disgusting - dirty, smelly, poor ventilation, unflushed/blocked toilets and appalling handwashing facilities.
    Worst of all, they feel unsafe. Avoid them like the Plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

If you can stomach it, there are quite good ones in Trinity.

Down around the National Gallery, the Science Buildings are always open if you're there during the day. Swipe card access only at night though.

More towards the quays, the Arts Block (the building that has a gate onto Nassau Street) has toilets about 10 seconds walk from the Nassau St. Just go into the building, turn right before you go out towards Front Square and they're just down the steps.

After midnight, it tends to be a Burger King/McDonald's job though.
    Well, you are just a mine of useful information! Imagine sending people into the ultraviolet kips that are the toilets in the Arts Block basement. And most would not have swipe-card access to the science buildings. And, in any case, they have those well-documented glory-holes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I hate when they have the security gaurds in burger king to stop u going for a wee, as a non-paying-customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sandals wrote:
    I hate when they have the security gaurds in burger king to stop u going for a wee, as a non-paying-customer.

Thats absolutly disgraceful, as a non-paying customer you should have full toilet priviledges :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

No you should'nt, Burger King should not have to clean up the mess of non-paying customers,

still hate it though.

All the public toilets were removed a good few years ago due to Drug abuse and rent boy abuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

All the public toilets were removed a good few years ago due to Drug abuse and rent boy abuse

Who was abusing the Rent Boys ?? They provide a valuable service to the public and should be treated with respect.

Advertisement