Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope to see you guys at the Irish Ferries protest march this friday

• 08-12-2005 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

1pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I'll be there with me chewits man! Maybe...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

OMFG. I am totally bringing chewits. Fruit yeah? ;)
    The 1pm meetup is at disco "disco on parnell square west" before the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 *Sam*

See ya there guys.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I don't really watch tv or read or listen to the radio. What's it all about?

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=73066&search_text=ferries

I know it's indymedia but it has most of the info in there somewhere.
    Basically, Irish Ferries decided to dump most of their workforce in favour of immigrant workers who'll be paid €3.50 an hour. A couple of weeks ago the company sneaked on a security company dressed as passengers to force workers who were refusing the redundancy deal of the ships and they took control of the ships and locked themselves on board.....maybe it was only one boat. Dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Right. Isn't €3.50 illeagal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Right. Isn't €3.50 illeagal?
    Think its some loophole since their a foreign agency or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Point is if Irish Ferries get away with this other companies will follow.....
    I could be replaced in my job my chinese labour......er wait :(

I've heard before that you aren't actually entitled to minimum wage until you've been working for the company for 6 months.

I'm probably wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

that is a lie dregin

ah sure

i won't be there

filthy liberal hippies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭bohspunks

Irish ferries are trying to re-register their boats in cyprus where irish labour law and minimum wage etc wont apply.

I'm sure you will find the pro worker arguements on indymedia so in the interest of debate, rather than it being my own view this is the irish ferries version of events:

Their arguement for what its worth is that they cant compete with low cost airlines etc and will go to the wall otherwise and that unlike other industries that have simply moved their high labour intensive elements to china etc they cant do this due to the nature of thier business, routes etc. all irish workers are nbeing offered a very generous redundancy package so have nothing to fear.

as i say not my view as i dont see a difference between irish and non irish labour - crap wages are crap wages but thats what they are putting across as their view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

This situation revolts me, pride in being Irish is heading toward an all-time low. Staff, regardless of nationality should be protected, not exploited, and this company should be forced to remove the word 'Irish' from it's name - it implies 'stated owned', which sends a message out internationally that the Irish are ok with this situation. Lest we forget the number of Irish peppered across the world - most welcomed and not treated like slaves!

Nuff said!

Advertisement