Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy 9mm Ammo

Options
  • 08-12-2005 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

I was doing some practice last week with my Glock 17L and a 9mm Case got jammed in the chamber, so I carried out IA's(Immeidate Action) and cleared the Jam.

So no problems but seems to be every 30 or 40 Rounds it happens, now I have stripped the Pistol and checked everything clearly and constantly maintain the pistol.

A suggestion from a friend in the ARW is that I could have got a bad batch of ammo, being that a few off the rounds dont have the full ammount of propellent to drive back the slide.

Anyone experience this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I have only recently taken possession of my Glock 17 and to date maybe have put 500 rounds through her. The only brand that I have used in it are Magtech standard 115's and she appears to like them very much.
    As you probably know, switch brands to find out whether it is the ammo or firearm.
    How 'new' is your gun?, as it can take semi's a while to break themselves in.
    Did you examine the casing rim?, sometimes it is over or undersized thus preventing the extractor claw getting a goog grip on the empty.
    Hope it works out for you soon W.
    :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

The Pistol is a few months old, although I have 600 out of the 1000 rounds left, I will check the casings

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Woody, with all due respect to your friend, I would be more concerned if the squib round was stuck in the gun. Generally magtech is Ok but I have heard of a number of problems with Magtech in .40 and .45 ,at £150.00 a 1000 they are value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just to check the blindingly obvious woody, what's your cleaning routine for the pistol?

I would strip the pistol down to it's component parts and initally coat them in oil and leave them for 10 minutes I would then induvidual clean the parts until the are oil free. reassemble the pistol and dry fire it and also clean the mag if necessary.

I use a standard oil that would be used on FN MAG GPMG as I don't believe in WD40 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

this probably has no relevance but anyway with my fathers shotgun it wouldnt work very well with 28g cartridges at the start because they weren't powerful enough to push the bolt back fully but after using it quite a bit and putting heavier cartridges through it it takes them ok now it may just need to be run in

5000 rounds is not run in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just pondering woody, but is it leading up at all? Don Nygord used to lament the way .45s were treated in the states as he'd get them all the time awfully leaded up and with crud in the mechanisms from powder/primer residue and oil and the only thing causing them to misfire was this buildup of residue and lead in the barrel.

Here's the link:
    http://nygord-precision.com/cleaning.html

It makes interesting reading for airgun and .22 shooters as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Woody, I doubt very much if the malfunction is due to your cleaning of the pistol, again I would strongly suspect the Magtech ammo, if possible try something else before you pull your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

Two reasons that might contribute to the Glock failing to feed correctly:
    1) Not gripping the gun tight enough, the inertia mechanism will fail if the gun is not held firmly.
    2) If you push up on the magazine floor plate when gripping the gun you will cause the magazine to push up and it will also contribute to a jam. Wrap your weak hand around your strong hand away from the magazine floor plate.

Most factory ammo will function flawlessly in a Glock

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info lads...

And the last comment tis very correct, although I have been using pistols for 14 years within a military enviroment :D

I was checking the magazine and this could be the issue, so I am going to buy another one on saturday to give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Cleaning routine?

For a Glock? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

woody wrote:
    I would strip the pistol down to it's component parts and initally coat them in oil and leave them for 10 minutes I would then induvidual clean the parts until the are oil free. reassemble the pistol and dry fire it and also clean the mag if necessary.

I use a standard oil that would be used on FN MAG GPMG as I don't believe in WD40 :p

already been said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Easy on the oil too.Glocks have some type of dry lube coating,and dont need a total soakage of parts .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

Correct: When you remove the slide of a new Glock you will notice a golden coating on the inner part of the slide, do not wipe it off, it is life long lubricant that will ensure correct functioning of the pistol.

Soaking parts in lubricant will have no beneficial effect on the Glock, these things are designed to operate under the most difficult situations and a few hundred rounds will not challenge the functioning of the pistol, usually it is more fundamental than cleaning.

I have seen individuals rest the pistol butt and magazine well on sandbags for zeroing, for sure the Glock will fail to cycle due to upward presure on the mag and a consiquent failure of the round to feed correctly, as well I have seen slighly built women trying to shoot glocks and there is a failure to feed due to a poor hold.

Look at the basics first. There are some really good Glock Chat rooms have a look on google for them and get some expert opinion.

Okay Fired 600 Rounds today :eek: Yes 600

Not a single problem and also fired around 50 of my mates and not probs either so could have been a bad batch...

The Rounds I was using were Remington but I also used some Winchester rounds and no probs.

Advertisement