Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting to internet from laptop through Mobile phone.

• 08-12-2005 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Anyone know what I need to be able to ras in from home using my laptop and mobile phone.
    Is a compatible usb data cable all I need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Are you selling this question? If so, you'll have to post a guide price.

I'm interested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

RotalicaV wrote:
    Are you selling this question? If so, you'll have to post a guide price.

I'm interested..

Offer 300 quatloos on the newcomer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 easylife

OOPS - thanks guys- moving post

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Moved from FS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fearmanachman

I connected via bluetooth but had to get a vodafone operator to guide me through the "cryptic" settings to connect to the internet.

However, first thing I did was browse ebay. F~%k me cost €30 before I even found the item I was looking for.:mad:

Stay the hell away from using Vodafone and modem access... Unless you are a multimillionaire... or know websites without pictures & popups.
    2cent per kilobyte.... it cost me nearly a tenner to get into the myEbay page.
    Vodafone are the rip off kings.
    I fell for the 3G trap hook line and sinker!

Is it any cheaper on any other network?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I totally back up fearmanachman here and I used to work for Vodafone. Stay away from the bluetooth methods and also their data card offering - seriously steep - you are charged by the kb/mb and as most web page are full of pictures - you seriously rack up a bill in minutes. Nasty charges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hackattack

Would also appreciate a reply to this. Just bought an Inspiron 9300 c/w internal bluetooth & have a Nokia 6230i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Don't do it - I tried it once and my next bill was €550 (average bill at the time was €50).
    I only used it for about an hour in total...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah, maybe you should turn of graphics in your web-browser...it might just save you a fortune ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

O2 gprs is disgustingly expensive as well, especially when compared to O2 UK gprs rates.

I used my 6230i via infra red with my laptop while my phone line was down and I think I got through €100 odd in less than a few hours.

Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

I wrote a webpage before about this:

http://www.cleansounds.com/mobileisp.html

might be helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Using your mobile for Data is a no-no, at least with o2. Using CSD, or HSCSD is an ok option though if all you want to do is check your mail the odd time.

Buying a Data card with a data only sim makes sense though:
    http://web.o2.ie/business/tariffs/data_card_tariffs.jsp

The card themselves are quite cheap now (I paid €99, with 3 months free unlimited access and no contract).

Advertisement