Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will happen Fergie now?

• 08-12-2005 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Note its not what do people want to happen!!

So what do people think will happen now at United? Personally I think if he gets wind of him being sacked he wil go now. It probably depends on whether the board thinks they can catch Chelsea? If so he may get until the end of the season.

What will happen Fergie now? 40 votes

Sacked now
    0%
    Sacked at end of season/Contract not renewed
    5%
    gandalfBrookieD 2 votes
    Resign
    77%
    Serbianmike65The Clown ManyopPepe LeFritsWashoutLafortezzavorbisCorben DallasVillainloyatemuWasterBig NellyKingp35HippoJivin TurkeyDub13ziggyel rabitosgafarrell 31 votes
    Keep his job fpr forseeable future
    17%
    Steve_otomEDBolBillCrowdedHouseBenedict XVIRuskie4RentRikand 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

TheMonster wrote:
    Note its not what do people want to happen!!

So what do people think will happen now at United? Personally I think if he gets wind of him being sacked he wil go now. It probably depends on whether the board thinks they can catch Chelsea? If so he may get until the end of the season.
    As a utd suppporter i feel he will be given til the end of the season and rightly so,because it is pointless in disturbing the season with a new manager.
    Last night has been coming for a while,we havent played well in europe all season. I think fergies time has been petering out for the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Resign
    As mentioned on other thread. Should be moved on at end of season like Bayern done when hitzfelt lost it abit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

As a utd suppporter i feel he will be given til the end of the season and rightly so,because it is pointless in disturbing the season with a new manager.
    Last night has been coming for a while,we havent played well in europe all season. I think fergies time has been petering out for the last 2 years.
    Agree to a certain extent but a new manager would have the rest of the season to evaluate the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sacked at end of season/Contract not renewed
    I have a feeling the Glaziers will take action before Christmas, especially with the get out clause that Nike have in their sponsorship deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

TheMonster wrote:
    Agree to a certain extent but a new manager would have the rest of the season to evaluate the squad.
    i have thought about that but then you have to consider that we might not get europe if a new boss comes in,he might not gel with players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'd say that he will move on. Not just because of what happened last night but the last couple of years. Really they have been going backwards in this time. If he does go sooner than later, dare we say it.........the Ireland job?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He'll be there for the forseeable future. He is too stubborn, and the Glaziers will be afraid to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I dont believe fergie will be sacked or leave in the forseeable future. Glazire will not be happy over the loss of revenue but I don't think he will risk getting rid of Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Resign
    I can see him stayiong on until the end of the season and then i feel he will leave gracefully. He HAS been a great manager of the club but i think his time is comin to an end. Last night has been building up for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Resign
    Fergie should go at the end of the season. The Glaziers wont sack him, there would be huge fallout with the fans. If Fergie stayed till end of season Martin O'Neill would take his chance to manage Utd.

Last nite was coming for a while, ManU just dont have the team to play at teh very top lvl in Europe, they need a Keane type replacement, plus a Winger and another top shelf striker. Ruud Van is constantly having to carry the whole team. Rooney is more of an attacking Midfielder imo(but can also play upfront) but hes not an out and out stirker like Ruud Van, Henry, Andrew Cole, Drogba or Bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I think this is Alex Ferguson's last year, I hope the Glaziers give him the opportunity to resign, rather than sack him, after all he did bring unbelievable success to the club!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ferguson is a top manager and he and I share the same opinion. It is not his fault, can you imagine it? The players love Fergie, young Ronaldo and Rooney's Futures will be in serious doubt if he gets sacked, they appreciate Fergie and so do the rest of the players. He ain't going anywhere. He is still the best man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think he'll still be there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Hope he stays, his recent purchases have been a joke, Veron, (not so) Kleberson and Djemba Djemba(so s**t they named him twice) has shown that hes just not really with it anymore. Add the Alan Smith is a midfielder myth to the mix and you can see he's lost the plot.

Glaziers wont be happy.

People keep going on about Alan Smith. He has been one of their best players there regardless of what people say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

fergie is the king always will be and he will be at united till he is on is death bed u have lost the plot every manager makes bad signings eight premiership titles three fa cups european cup no other manager has done the triple get a grip fergie is king

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He is a great workhorse, but he simply does not have the passing ability or vision to become a top midfield player.

Resign
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/05/12/08/SOCCER_Ita-AC_Milan.html

Coach Carlo Ancelotti may have quit AC Milan had his team not qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, according to Brazilian midfielder Kaka.

Ancelotti was under pressure after the league defeat at Chievo last weekend saw his side drop eight points behind Serie A leaders Juventus.

And Kaka reckons another slip-up in midweek against Schalke could have marked the end of Ancelotti's four-year spell with the Rossoneri.

"Ancelotti was under pressure and he could have left had we conceded defeat," said Kaka, who scored twice in the 3-2 win.

"His hug with (vice-president Adriano) Galliani eased the pressure."

Galliani gave a vote of confidence to Ancelotti, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, revealing he has a pact with the coach that he would resign if Ancelotti was ever sacked.

"We knew that this game was crucial for our season," said Galliani. "We haven't failed."

"I want to make clear that until I hold the role of club administrator, Carlo will not go to Real Madrid. He will remain with us.

"I have a pact with him in which if one of us is sacked the other one follows, we will leave together.

"Carlo and I are a united partnership for better or for worse."

Milan face a crucial derby against neighbours Internazionale this weekend, which they will be doubly desperate to win to get back in the Scudetto race.

If Ancelotti was going to re-sign is AC didnt go throught shouldnt it be correct that AF does as well? leave out the 16 years of service and I think the answer is yes. Just an idea

Resign
    cheesedude wrote:

Like your comments at end on Miller who has been playing great for Leeds. Maybe he should go from Utd but it wont be because as you say he is "sh*t"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Man U will be fine. They made it difficult for themselves, but I don't think a kneejerk reaction like sacking Ferguson will help. In saying that, he might still leave as the crowd pressure begins to mount up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Resign
    He has been an excellent manager but Man U have been on a downward spiral for the last two years and they need to freshen things up. I dont think they will sack him but instead allow him to leave with dignity at the end of the season. Ferguson has been poor for the last few seasons especially in the transfer market.

He should step down in the summer
    BigNelly wrote:
    Like your comments at end on Miller who has been playing great for Leeds

Ah I knew you secretly likes Leeds and our players :D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Like your comments at end on Miller who has been playing great for Leeds. Maybe he should go from Utd but it wont be because as you say he is "sh*t"

Oh the lad is hopelessly ****. And those comment were made way before he was playing for Leeds. Might want to get the facts right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Resign
    cheesedude wrote:
    Oh the lad is hopelessly ****. And those comment were made way before he was playing for Leeds. Might want to get the facts right.

He has surprised me that Miller has done quite well with us. I tend agree with most people now that he lost all his confidence when he went to Man U and was expected to instantly settle and play great football. When that didnt happen he was bunged in the reserves and idnt get any other chances to really impress. He has improved Leeds midfield quite a bit by adding creativity and he has steadily improved as he has played more games.

At this stage if Man U were to sell him I would like Leeds to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Resign
    I dont think the board would like to bring so much attention to the club (for the wrong reasons) by sacking him now, half way through the season. Id say theyll let him until the end of the season because 1: To try and catch Chelsea, 2:unwanted attention to the club, the press starting "is this the end of Manchester United for good?". Personally, I think its time for a new manager at the end of the season. Fergie is a legend and always will be but he should know when to call it a day. New manager and few new decent signings in the Summer and really go for the title next season from day 1 to the end. Come on United!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Either way, whether sacked, contract not renewed - whatever....

Just like Keano - we'll only be told that he has left of his own accord.
    So to the papers it will be that he resigned.

He should just leave now anyway - he must see the writing on the wall himself. He says he won't be here for more than 2 more years - that's not enough time to rebuild the team, so he's not going to be there.

Why not get a new manager in now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Resign
    He'll go at the end of the season with the 'blessing' of the Glasiers. Fans will give him instant sainthood while thinking "pity he did'nt go when he first said he would"

Mike.

ps whats with this happen Fergie?, its happened to Fergie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Resign
    Ferguson needs to lift the league title to remain as United boss next year IMO.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Resign
    I just don't think he knows what to do with the individualist mentalities that some of the younger players have.

I mean, the man was used to players who were really dedicated to the game, and the team.

That coupled with the run of unfortunate purchases he made mean that Man U need some new ideas from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Last nite was coming for a while, ManU jsut dont have the team to play at teh very top lvl in Europe, they need a Keane tyre replacement, plus a Winger and another top shelf striker. Ruud Van is constantly having to carry the whole team. Rooney is more of an attacking Midfielder imo(but can also play upfront) but hes not an out and out stirker like Ruud Van, Henry, Andrew Cole, Drogba or Bent.

Agree that we don't have the team to compete at the top of europe and that we need a couple of midfielders and a central defender but as for wingers and strikers? That's ridiculous.

We already have four wingers, Giggs, Ronaldo, Park and Richardson. Add in Ole coming back and we have ample cover.

As for strikers, I kind of agree about Rooney, I think SAF see's him a replacement for Scholes rather than an out and out striker. But we also have Saha, who I reckon will be good if he can stay injury free, Rossi, who looks ace, and [deja vu] Add in Ole coming back and we have ample cover. [/deja vu]

As for Ferguson being sacked, he won't, the Glazers know just how stupid an idea that is, there's more to the season than the Champions League for christ sake. There's still the league*, FA Cup and the "massive" Carling Cup. I don't think he'll leave at the end of this season either, next season will be his last. I think he will want another crack at his "holy grail"

*I'm allowed to dream. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cheesedude wrote:
    People keep going on about Alan Smith. He has been one of their best players there regardless of what people say.

which truly says it all about the current united team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Resign
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Good question. I think he would definetly be allowed to go. If Chelsea were to win 4 in a row......[trembling fingers] he... wud... go[/trembling fingers].
    Imagine the headlines: Once a blue, always a blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I agree with cheesedude. There has been alot of stick for Alan Smith on boards, but I think he has worked his socks off. I would say he is the best tackler in the team, and he has got a good shot when he's around the egde of the box. I'd be happy to see him become captain when Neville retires

Advertisement