Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Line Problem

• 08-12-2005 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi, Anybody had this before?

DSL light not coming on modem, tried 4 different modems,reset line,cables and 2 different sockets,same problem,status says DSL not available,was working fine for the last year,line can still dial out and i am back to Dial up for internet.
    Have contacted BT after numerous phone calls,and they can't do anything, can't even send out a BT engineer or contact Eircom, said to call electrician..electricians cannot fix...anyone any suggestions to what it could be?? Line into house...problems at exchange?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you rule out the filters. Unplug everything from the phone line and plug your modem directly into the phone socket without any filter.
    Has there been any new houses built near you lately or new phone line installations in any of your neighbours recently. A friend of mine lost DSL for a while because an Eircom engineer moved his line onto a splitter when installing a phone line into one of his neighbours.
    Do you know any local Eircom guys that could check if any changes have been made locally or in the exchange?
    Try ringing Eircom themselves to see if they they can check it out. They still own the line.
    HTH

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have contacted BT after numerous phone calls,and they can't do anything, can't even send out a BT engineer or contact Eircom, said to call electrician..electricians cannot fix...anyone any suggestions to what it could be?? Line into house...problems at exchange?????
    Couple of things I don't understand here:

1) If you pay them a monthy sub, and you've tried everything they suggested, they should send someone out to investigate. Don't take "no" for an answer.
    2) Why on earth would they want an electrician to look into it? Did they say what fault on a phone line they would expect an electrician to fix?

Other than what K. suggests above, I can't thing of anything else you can do. Sounds like a fault outside of your house - prob. Eircom's responsibility to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

That's rediculous, get back onto BT, tell them what you've done to try remedy the situation, the agent if he knows anything should escalate the call, if they try to fob you off demand to speak to a supervisor.

This should have been escalated on the first call, considering the troubleshooting you've already done.
    kaizersoze wrote:
    Try ringing Eircom themselves to see if they they can check it out. They still own the line.
    Eircom broadband support are capable of checking the line for sync, but they can't do anything about it as he's a BT customer, the escalation has to come from BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

thanks for your help folks,,,BT will not send out an engineer, i was on to a supervisor after a few days,,they seemed to be insistant it was a modem problem,the set up is this, 2 sockets in the house,we only use broadband,no phone in the house,no filters(although i have tried with and without filters) we have 5 modems in total,all are working ok as i tested on other lines with broadband, when i told BT this, they still sent me out a new modem to test, but the same problem,altogether honestly i have been on to BT between customer care and tech support, about 26 times( i made a note of all the times i called and have names)my dealing with BT have been an absolute disgrace and anyone who goes to BTis going to have huge huge problems if their line breaks down as i found out.
    It seems that BT are wiping their hands off the problem, i suspect it could be a problem at the exchange possibly,but i dunno if anyone got a new line in, i have not ever seen an eircom/BT van in the area and i am around there most of the time.
    I called eircom and they can't do anything as BT is the provider and are telling me to contact them.
    As for an escalation process in BT, there is none, a dead end. They consider escalating something to eircom as sending an email and giving a 5 day turnaround to get a response.They do not go out of their way to help you. Asking for a supervisor, they either hang up or promise you a callback that never happens. I am willing to pay for an engineer to come out and they said they cannot do that. They said they went to eircom to check the line, and they said eircom said it was OK.
    When i asked them how they did it, they did not know. They said they sent an e-mail, the the next technican from tech support said they send a voltage signal to the socket, when i questioned him about this, did he ping the router or what way was the socket checked,etc. he could not answer any question i asked,,i am in IT a long long time, but this is unbelievable.
    When i heard the guy say 'hire an electrician' i was absolutely dumbstruck, i did'nt know what to say. I called 3 electricans, 2 of them laughed at me.
    I dunno what do do, only solution is to cancel BT and go back to eircom.
    What a great country we live in, and these companies are allowed to get away with this.
    They also took 130 euros out of my account for 2 months line rental and broadband...a service i can't use.
    How can they steal from me and get away with it?
    RTE/Joe Duffy?? What can they do about it.
    Comreg? What can they do about it.
    Irish Government (The people who run the country)What can they do about it.
    Nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

well folks, we got eircom back, broadband working ok now, dsl light back on,turns out no problem with the line,BT cut us off,,just goes to show the communication within BT,after 2 modems sent out and allegedly contacting eircom,the said it was a line problem...as for eircom... 1 week to get everything changed back and connected...as bad and all eircom are and rip off merchants...i am extremely happy with them for sorting this out so quickly....as for BT,,,well BT Ireland Sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PSTN cease. Brilliant!

Advertisement