Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey hey hey - It's DHL at it again!

Options
  • 08-12-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Anyone remembers my DHL thread (fail to deliver, now want €€€s)? Yeah well, I did kinda let this one by for a while (too busy with work and exams and family and whatnot) but I'm back on that case and guess what...?

It's happened again, with DHL France this time - sent ThinkGeek stuff from US to my parents' address in France, value about $34 + $21 P&P - DHL France have asked my parents €28 in import duty and VAT, calcultated it (just like DHL Ireland in my thread) on goods value ($34 = €29) plus shipping ($21 = €18). Shipping is not subject to import duty in Ireland or anywhere in EU, and I think not subject to VAT either.

Import duty in FR is 12%, VAT is 19.6%, max reclaimable if shipping is subjected to import duty and VAT (worst case scenario) is €16 or so.

So, question to you guys buying stuff outside EU: when you get import invoices from courier (DHL/UPS/Fedex/etc.), is your total calculated on goods value only, does your total tally up with applicable rates, or are [conspiracy theory]the couriers just trying it on with everyone and laughing all the way to the bank?[/conspiracy theory]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK the duties are based on the landed cost i.e cost of goods + cost of freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Not so (at least according to DHL Ireland once I grabbed them by the ear the first time around): duty is applicable to goods only, VAT is applicable to dutied goods + freight.

My first bill from DHL IE for that fabled mp3 player clocked at €23 or so - then back to €12 or so after I queried the invoice (which did not include any 'admin charge' or the like, just import duty and VAT).

French duties/taxes may differ from IE, granted, but 12% + 19.6% of the goods + freight (€47) still does not amount to €28 - by a difference of €9 :eek: . And again on the DHL FR invoice (of which I got a copy faxed), there's no 'admin charge' or the like, just import duty (€9) and VAT (€19).

Advertisement