Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows xp Problem

• 08-12-2005 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

hopefully someone will be able to help me, i should explain in advance im not very computer literate so bear with me.

I have a Dell PC with Windows XP, was working fine yesterday but wasnt shut down last night, when we went to it this morning the screen which has the different user accounts on it was frozen, rebooted the pc and it looks like it is starting but once it gets to the Welcome to Windows screen it freezes and I cant click on any of the user accounts to get into windows.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Just read this today. Has it been fixed? What was the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Perhaps you could try starting it in 'Safe Mode' to see if it starts that way. To start it in Safe Mode you need to know how the get up into the XP Startup Menu.

On boot-up you will see a message on the screen (at the bottom I think) instructing you to press F8 to enter the startup menu. Once in there you will see a list of ways to start the operating system.

Actually, perhaps choosing 'Last Known Good Configuration' would be better to try first. If that doesn't work then do 'Safe Mode'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

sounds like the profiles could be corrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

certainly sounds like something is corrupted, I dont know if its the profiles or just the welcome screen though; if the profiles were corrupted you'd hope it would behave better (not show the user etc.) --certainly not just freeze.

You can reinstall windows without losing all your files, data, or user accounts. I dont remember the exact steps involved, but its very similar to installing windows normally (insert windows disk etc.). but lets assume thats a last ditch effort...

do as above mentioned, load windows in safemode, but when there, go to user accounts and switch off fast user switching and the welcome screen, then restart and see if the problem persists.

Advertisement