Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Christmas gaming memory?

Options
  • 08-12-2005 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Not that long until Christmas know so I thought it'd be nice to reminisce about times past.
    What is you best games-related memory of the festive season?
    Did you get that console you asked Santa for or was there a game you got as a surprise that you couldn't put down?

For me it would have to be when we got a Commodore 64. It was a pack that came with a lightgun and I can still remember shooting UFOs on the tv when it was still dark. Good times

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

1992 - Snes, 2 control pads, Mario World and Street Fighter 2.... BEST XMAS EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

1999 Gameboy colour and pokemen blue was still playing it a year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

1997 Grandparents bought me 'that game there showing on the telly'. Was FFVII. Spent most of christmas week playing. Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1992 when I was 13 - an Amiga 500+ with a shoebox full of 'back-up' games that my brother sent over from England. I spent the next two weeks playing Golden Axe and Turrican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jazzy wrote:
    1992 - Snes, 2 control pads, Mario World and Street Fighter 2.... BEST XMAS EVER!

Indeed only had Sf2 but taking sneaky looks at the box pre xmas had me drooling come xmas day.

Atari 2600 long time ago with Pitfall 4 the graphics were amazing.

Then C64 with SEUCK and Robocop.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Christmas 1991. Mega Drive, 2 player Golden Axe and the godly platformer that is Revenge of Shinobi. Such a step up from the 2600 and C64 it wasn't funny. Hell, even Altered Best was good once. Look at the size of the sprites for goodness sake, who needs gameplay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

christmas 1992 in the home of andrew fletcher (depeche mode)

my dad bought me a megadrive and andy gave me desert strike.

played it for 2 days solid nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jaggeh wrote:
    andrew fletcher (depeche mode)

Who?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2003, Christmas Eve, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, 2 litres of Coke and a selection box. Started playing from near the end at about 10pm... Completed the game at about 1.30am Christmas morning... plunging the Master Sword into Ganondorf's head just as my parents were scrambling for wrapping paper and stuff... good times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

KdjaC wrote:
    Indeed only had Sf2 but taking sneaky looks at the box pre xmas had me drooling come xmas day.

I remember similar times. Finding the box a couple weeks before christmas, a week later daring to go back when everyone else was out, feeling the streamlined joypads for the first time, the first console Id owned that wasnt just square, it was magic.

Id say the best christmas gaming memory though was getting the nes with mario/duckhunt. My cousin got the same thing. Going out to his & wiping the floor with him at duckhunt. Then discovering you could play it through mirrors. Queue us setting up every mirror in the house so we could play it from the other side of the room facing the wrong way. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Getting Pokémon Red and playing it for 4 hours straight on my GameBoy colour on Christmas Day. I completed it a few times (even got 151 pokémon!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

one year asked for the goldeneye n64 pack, it wasn't anywhere to be seen. my brothers were dissapointed too. after dinner we go into the toy room and go to turn on the tv, and what is hidden behind the tv? the n64!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing SF2 on someone elses SNES when I didn't get one :(

My parents never bought me the console I asked for. In fact the only time I got the gaming equipment I wanted was when I bought my PS2 myself with the money my parents gave me to get my own presents for Christmas.

I did like my Mega Drive and quickly fell in love with the PS1 despite asking for a SNES for the third time and PC upgrade respectively. My parents thought I would have an epileptic attack from playing the SNES despite having no history of epilepsy. This was founded on the fact that I would come home from my mates house with big red bloodshot eyes from playing the SNES for around 14 hours straight and way too much sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

1997 - watching my brother playing FF7. In total Awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

91/92 can't exactly remember. Sonic 1 on the megadrive.

I'd been playing pc games for a couple of years, but this blew my young little mind. Played it almost constantly for an entire week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Close one but i think it was when i got pokemon blue for the gameboy.
    I think i actually cried(with happiness):)
    I dont know how many hours I spent on that game.

God i might just dig my copy out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Draw between getting a snes and doom or getting a n64 and goldeneye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

1988 christmas
    nes under the tree

duckhunt + lightgun

no more needs to be said

edit: my post count says im l337 take that fookers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has to be N64 with Goldeneye. I had never played anything like it before, it amazed me. I can remember it like it was yesterday, v.vivid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! Those first few steps into Hyrule Field will remain with me till I'm dead. Favoutite xmas game ever goldeneye. Cant remember if I got Zelda for xmas or not!!! if I did then Zelda would be my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Has to be goldeneye when i got the n64. Also got 2 controllers and a mate got pretty much the same thing. Spent most of that christmas playing 4 player goldeneye. Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

madrab wrote:

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

madrab wrote:

You are not your f*cking post count ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

i cant pick one, so many....... this xmas should be a good one! premium 360 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Show my age now but what the hell! 1985 or 86 can't remember exact year. Frak and Chuckie Egg on the BBC micro. Didn't surface till sometime in January. Classic games both of them.

http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/other.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i cant pick one, so many....... this xmas should be a good one! premium 360 :D

Hope you picked up PGR3 or Kameo and not Perfect Dark or it will be a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

early 90's anyway can't remember the year, c64 with a hat load of games. microsprose soccer, leaderboard golf, kevin thomas football manager and ace of aces kept me going for what seemed like a life time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Birthdays are my traditional sweet period for new games.
    I don't think anything will be able to beat Christmas 2003 though...
    Got a GameCube along with Metroid Prime that year:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

'bout 92/93 [my memory is hazy] i got my Mega Drive and sonic 2.

I set up camp infront of the television, there was no sound of music or charlie and the chocolate factory for anyone that year.

good times.

Advertisement