Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Christmas gaming memory?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Hope you picked up PGR3 or Kameo and not Perfect Dark or it will be a bad one.

CoD2! ill buy more games after xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

92 or 93 getting a Mega Drive with Sonic 1 & 2, James Pond III and Golden Axe. Then later on that day going to my best mates house and playing SF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Christmas 97, when I was given the N64+Goldeneye pack, the best game and console package ever. Yeah, I whole heartily agree with RetroGamer, Perfect Dark Zero is pure ****, if you have managed to get yourself a 360, don't ruin the experience with it, get PGR3 or COD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'm another victim of Goldeneye's nostalgia:

I was sitting in my room playing the Siberia level. Outside was cold but I was nice and toasty in my room. There was also a really strong smell of radox shower gel, for some reason. Also being too scared to play the Facility level because of the doors randomly closing all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Must have been around '89.. not sure. An NES with Rad Racer, Spy vs Spy and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 durandal

jonnybadd wrote:
    1997 Grandparents bought me 'that game there showing on the telly'. Was FFVII. Spent most of christmas week playing. Awesome

Agreed. This remains the best game ever imo. All Christmas day I was glued to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

92/93 i think, i got the snes with the bazooka scope, thought it was amazing.

but the one that stands out the most is the year i got a playstation. i can still almost remember the music from demo 1!
    all day my 3 brothers(at least all 15 years older than me) packed into my room playing wipeout.... those were the days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Getting a SNES and Mario, Pilotwings and Street Fighter. That Christmas morning was unbelievable.

Or the Christmas of Goldeneye and Zelda. Them were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

christmas mrning of Ocarina of time. mam said she wasnt able to get me one cause they were sold out and i was well annoyed but i had the n64 set up n the big tv downstairs. i "woke" at like 01:30 am and snook down stairs to fina that magical black and gold box sitting on my n64. i played straight through until 12 midday and was just about an adult in the game. amazing stuff.

Kirby you must have flown through wind waker to finish it in 3 and half hours. you not do any of the side quests? they , for me, are what i love about zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Xmas 92 or 93, my first console a Game Boy + Metroid 2.....simply awesome. Scared the bejaysus out of me too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

My whole family was always reluctant to buy me games for birthday/christmas because they felt i was wasting my time. So i stopped asking for games and consoles. My dad asked me what i wanted and i couldnt tell him because there was nothing non-game related i wanted.

I found "Zelda: A Link to the Past" under the tree

He picked this one out on his own!! best christmas present i ever got tbh. I have gotten more pricey things over the years but this... the impact of it will remain with me forever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once upon a time (er.. 2000) I awoke on Christmas morning, ready for some PS1 gaming fun. Imagine my major disapointment when I came down to see no PS1 games, but a PS2 one instead (this being the first year they were out, couldnt be got for love or money). My parents apologised for the mistake and all.

But imagine my surprise when my brother entered the sitting room with his brand new PS1 game to see... yes a PS2 sitting proudly in front of the television.

Great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seeing the C64 loading screen with all the coloured bars. i was mesmerised by it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my brother entered the sitting room with his brand new PS1 game to see... yes a PS2 sitting proudly in front of the television.

luckily for him the PS2 plays PS1 and they all lived happily ever after :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mossy Monk wrote:
    luckily for him the PS2 plays PS1 and they all lived happily ever after :)

Ah Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Kirby you must have flown through wind waker to finish it in 3 and half hours. you not do any of the side quests? they , for me, are what i love about zelda.
    I didn't finish it in 3.5 hours... I *wish* I was that good though! I was playing through from the end of the Wind Temple.
    And actually, I'm not a huge side quest fan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

There's a few, but I suppose that year when I got the Game Boy Color and Pokémon Blue was the best one. Last year was a pretty memorable one, I didn't eat for all of Christmas Day as I was playing Prime 2 and Paper Mario. They're probably my best Christmas(ses?). The last few years were good, it's such a shame this year will be really crappy in comparison. (The only thing I want is Kirby, my parents don't want to import =P).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Cant remember the year probably 93 woke up to a megadrive 2 with the 6 bundled games, best christmas ever just remember playing shinobi for for the whole of christmas day and loving it. Only other christmas I got games was last year when my gf got me a new ps2 and san andreas and then I locked myself in my room and ignored her the rest of christmas hehe. Sadly this year has no games in sight might have to pick myself something up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Back in the early 90's, I went into the sitting room to find a box with my name on it. Ripping off the wrapping revealed Zool for the Amiga.

I almost came...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Probably the year (around 89/90 I think) that I got my commodore 64... Loads of games with it but the first thing I played was the terminator 2 cartridge, that intro was amazing! Then I got my teeth into New Zealand Story for the rest of the day, fantastic game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Christmas 1998, I got a ps with the original Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. I'll never forget the excitement of running around in that first cave level in tomb raider, the bear scared the sh#t out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Linkdude wrote:
    (The only thing I want is Kirby, my parents don't want to import =P).
    Afaik that game came out here last weekend... I know we got in at least one copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Parents don't half mess up getting games! I remember the year the PS2 came out my bro came down to find a load of PS2 games...I'm sure he was thinking there must be a PS2 somewhere to play them on! But no...parents thought they were PS1 games...ouch! :(

Fondest memory is getting my first console, a Megadrive. I remember kind of rationing the games...thought to myself "I'll only play one of the games this week, another next week...", but nah, ended up playing them all on Christmas day! Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi...savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Christmas 97. Got the original Tomb Raider and FFVII. Seeing the T-REX for the first time was the Sh*t!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Dingatron wrote:
    Show my age now but what the hell! 1985 or 86 can't remember exact year. Frak and Chuckie Egg on the BBC micro. Didn't surface till sometime in January. Classic games both of them.

http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/other.html
    wow, your one of the old ones :)
    franman wrote:
    Christmas 97. Got the original Tomb Raider and FFVII. Seeing the T-REX for the first time was the Sh*t!!!!

yeah loved that moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to say lads and ladies, my girlfriend rocks. She got me the xbox a while back with a fist full of games thrown in. Then she says to me, sure why dont you put it on the plazma with the surround sound so you can get the full effect. Yeah babe thats not a bad idea in fairness. She even watchs corrie upstairs so I can play the box.

This year she turned around and said write me out a list of games that you want for christmas!!!!

One word: Legend....

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

One word. Goldeneye. Quality game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

iregk wrote:
    Have to say lads and ladies, my girlfriend rocks. She got me the xbox a while back with a fist full of games thrown in. Then she says to me, sure why dont you put it on the plazma with the surround sound so you can get the full effect. Yeah babe thats not a bad idea in fairness. She even watchs corrie upstairs so I can play the box.

This year she turned around and said write me out a list of games that you want for christmas!!!!

One word: Legend....
    a girl let you play your xbox on the big telly & watched corrie upstairs....you gotta be dreaming, WAKE UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Getting Grand Prix on the Amiga 500 back in 1993 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

madrab wrote:
    a girl let you play your xbox on the big telly & watched corrie upstairs....you gotta be dreaming, WAKE UP
    let the poor guy milk the dream for as long as possible. coming back to reality is going to be harsh:p

/edit
    just remembered a fairly simple present that my bro got me last year.
    this one is proof positive that it's the thought that counts:)
    the fact that he went out of his way to ask a game shop for a couple of their game posters is a nice thought in itself, but that he managed to get me a Metroid Prime 2 poster cements it as one of the most thoughtful gifts i've ever recieved.
    it has pride of place over my decks right now

Advertisement