Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Website

Options
  • 08-12-2005 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

(Admin: Hope this is the right forum, if not apologies)

Hi all,

Ive decided to try and build a website, nothing to fancy just maybe a some pages with text and also a some places to store / show loads of photos from different holidays and that sort of thing.

What I would like to do is build this at home, get to know the differnt software and such and then in the end have it hosted. I was wondering what would be the best software to get so start buidling a website ? something like Dreamweaver I thought. Or would anyone know of some nice Templates I could download and copy off so I wouldnt have to code the website fully just chop and change it.

Also out of curiosty is it done / illegal to copy someones else's website style / layout ?? I have seen alot of good stuff on differnet websites I would like to have on mine. Again this wouldn't be a commerical website in any way more of kinda half as friends group holiday blog if you will.

Sorry If im not making much sense we are still trying to decide on the whole thing but I have been nominated as website admin / developer so I said I would get cracking at it.

Appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

To be honest you may just want to get something like blogger or similar and mod the design, its a good introduction to the programming side of things and would facilitate you in the photos side of things. As for templates, there are 100s of sites, it really is a matter of finding one you like, as your taste would be different to mine.

Personally I would use blogger.com and put all those you know in charge so that you all can post and make changes, then everyone can post the bits they want to the blog. It means that you also get a quite linear method and its easy as pie to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Also out of curiosty is it done / illegal to copy someones else's website style / layout ?? I have seen alot of good stuff on differnet websites I would like to have on mine. Again this wouldn't be a commerical website in any way more of kinda half as friends group holiday blog if you will.

A good way to learn is to download the website, open it up in Dreamweaver and check out the layout. You will need to be able to follow code to get thru it with sucsess thou, you can't just chop and change to your hearts content. Maybe you should check out one or two tutorials. But it is immoral to copy someone else's design, try and better them from what you can learn!

As astec123 said a blog, such as wordpress*, might be your best bet for the time being, check out coppermine for the image gallery part.

* you'll need hosting with sql and php, nothing too fancy/costly.
    www.wordpress.org

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As astec123 said a blog, such as wordpress*, might be your best bet for the time being, check out coppermine for the image gallery part.

* you'll need hosting with sql and php, nothing too fancy/costly.
    www.wordpress.org

There are a couple of plugins for wordpress that can connect the two together..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks all,

Apprtecite the help I will look into those and get back

Something tells me Ive lots and lots of reading to do ;) still should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

But it is immoral to copy someone else's design,

Also illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Howdy,

I am a web developer and I've built one of these types sites for me and my friends. Basically a photo website with some additional pages. Nothing too major but it's a pretty good site for sharing our photos with friends around the world. Has a nice little flash slideshow and a cms I built at the backend for uploading pics (optimises and resizes also), creating folders/albums, viewing subscribers, sending newsletters and all that sort of thing.

It might not be what you are looking for but if you like the site... I'll give you a copy of the source code - and for a nominal fee, i'll provide you with hosting! :)

I use DW and you could use that to change the look and feel of the site. The site is coded in ASP with an MS SQL database. I'll set this stuff up for you if you want and I've seperated the design of the site into a single template so you would only have to change that page in DW to change the look and feel of the whole site.

Anyway... I might be putting this out of your depth as there is loads of software that would probably do it easier. As a developer, I like to build my own custom stuff so.....

http://www.cheeurs.com

Anyway, let me know and I'll give you a little hand to get set up!

Cheeurs!

Dave

Advertisement