Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Metro broadband?

• 08-12-2005 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

A few questions!! I've seen Metro been mentioned a lot but don't know what it is! Qs:

1)What's Metro broadband exactly?

2)Does it provide a phone service and how exactly does that work? And if so, does it eliminate the need for an eircom account?

3)Where would I get the best deal?

Thanks ;)

Edit: Actually it doesn't matter, just discovered its not available in the area i'm interested in. Argh!!! But go ahead and answer the Qs for anyone else who wants to know!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eskimo wrote:
    A few questions!! I've seen Metro been mentioned a lot but don't know what it is! Qs:

1)What's Metro broadband exactly?

It is Broadband delivered using wireless technology. It requires an aerial on your roof/side wall which points at a base station.
    eskimo wrote:
    2)Does it provide a phone service and how exactly does that work? And if so, does it eliminate the need for an eircom account?

It provides a phone service over the wireless link, you simply plug your existing phone into the BB router that they supply.

Yes this eliminates the need for an Eircom account.

You can also port/transfer your current number to this service.
    eskimo wrote:
    3)Where would I get the best deal?

This product is only available from Digiweb. You can of course get BB from other companies like NTL, Chorus, BT Ireland, Smart, Magent, etc. but they all use differnt technologies and deliver different services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

1) Metro is a product offered by Digiweb. It uses cable tv technology over wireless broadband.

2) Yes to both.

3) It is not a protocol it is a product. It is only offered by Digiweb

Advertisement