Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 Wireless broadband in Cavan - When???

• 08-12-2005 4:47pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was told a few months ago that net1 would be providing a wireless broadband service to my area in Cavan (Butlersbridge). On checking their new site's coverage section they don't seem to be anywhere near Cavan yet, let alone Butlersbridge.

I mailed them looking for an estimated time of arrival but haven't gotten a thing back. Is anyone else waiting on them or know any more of what the story is?

Cheers,
    Bernard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

dont expect a reply in this lifetime. i emailed them 4 times APPLYING for the service and they never replied. Eventually after a few phone calls they decided they might look into my application!!! Been waiting about 5 weeks for it now and still no sign. They are the most unresponsive company ive ever come across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They are the most unresponsive company ive ever come across
    I'm out in a small town in Meath. I rang them a few times and there was a recorded message saying that all sales and support staff were currently upgrading systems and wouldn't be available for a week.

I left two messages and heard nothing.

It rings alarm bells for me when a company isn't even capable of taking sales calls - just imagine what their support is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm currently set up with them and for the past month they have been trying to change there network over from irish broadband to cable and wireless and apparently they been having trouble and havent been taking new customers or expanding there coverage,

they are supposed to switch over on january 1st so i would try to contact them a week later but i still wouldnt expect a vast response they took ages to come out to our area and they only really came out because 3 houses on our road had requested it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I'm currently set up with them and for the past month they have been trying to change there network over from irish broadband to cable and wireless and apparently they been having trouble and havent been taking new customers or expanding there coverage,
    Correct, iam curious , what is the service like now

they havent changed over yet, the old system hasnt been worth it imo, high pings on games and sometimes the net was as slow as a 56k.

as with service, well its hit and miss with them, i havent had to contact them since i got it in but if i did i wouldnt be looking forward to a quick reply

• Advertisement

What are the general download speeds?
    And what is the general ping?

generel ping is around 80, but sometimes it can be as high as 180 making most online games unplayable.

dont downloads much so dont know, my brother downloads alot will ask him and post later

Thanks

80 seems alright to me...
    Ive seen eircom is 170 generally

well it has eventually been installed and i got my dad (im in Dublin but moving home) to ping google.ie and it came out at 108ms average on the 1MB line. Is that line 1mb up and down? I enquired but didnt get a response and i havnt been home since it was installed (just on Tuesday).

We were in contact with them quite a bit and we have the mobile numer of one of the main guys i think so hopefully he can help if we need him. And sorry no im not handing it out lol.

What download speeds are people getting on the 1mb line? Theres no cap too isnt there not? I downloaded about 80GB in my first month and a half with IBB here in Dublin lol

1MN up and down, no download caps.
    Iam saying that and i dont even have it yet :p

• Advertisement

then y when i did a speed test did i get something ike 700kbps down and 168 up!

Damn it... that sounds more like it to me :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Thanks for the replys lads.

It's looking more and more like these guys really aren't up to providing the service. Their coverage map which was supposed to be "updated soon with more information on our current coverage" hasn't been touched since their new site went live over a month ago. From that ping response it's looking like the service might not be much better than the good old dialup I'm trawling along with atm :(

Now, I realise that the quality of the service can depend on weather conditions and the location of the customer in relation to the mast, but this, coupled with the recorded response to calls on their freephone "helpline" and the lack of responses to email enquiries hardly paints a very colourful picture of a company who've landed a nice fat grant cheque from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Interesting comments.... As we are a very small company, our technical team (which also handles support) has been working NON STOP - since December 17th on getting our network into the areas which have been given government GBS funding. This network now stretches from Tyrone down to Dublin - and westwards currently to the fringe of Cavan town. Good things will come to those who wait... We are building a network that will work and give good results. We could have switched on Butlersbridge in November, however, one of the things which we have learned from looking at postings on this board is that it is not good to switch customers onto a shabbily built network. Do this and you get slated.
    At the moment we are working on our backhauls in Cavan and diverse connections to Internet backbones (yes we have been stung on several occasions by not having enough baskets for our eggs - but no more!) - Next come the base stations, and finally the customers.
    ETA Butlersbrdge - Mid Feb

Good to get an update on progress and thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Net1 wrote:
    Interesting comments.... As we are a very small company, our technical team (which also handles support) has been working NON STOP - since December 17th on getting our network into the areas which have been given government GBS funding. This network now stretches from Tyrone down to Dublin - and westwards currently to the fringe of Cavan town. Good things will come to those who wait... We are building a network that will work and give good results. We could have switched on Butlersbridge in November, however, one of the things which we have learned from looking at postings on this board is that it is not good to switch customers onto a shabbily built network. Do this and you get slated.
    At the moment we are working on our backhauls in Cavan and diverse connections to Internet backbones (yes we have been stung on several occasions by not having enough baskets for our eggs - but no more!) - Next come the base stations, and finally the customers.
    Any chance of you expanding upwards to south monaghan?

They seem to already be in Carrick according to the coverage map:

http://www.net1.ie/coveragemap.html

No plans for anywhere between Donnaghmoyne and Monaghan town at the moment. The customer getting 800 down and 196 up has already been made aware of the circumstances on why this is so and when it will be corrected. We will try and keep an eye here so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask .

na, more south west monaghan. greater clones area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Net1 wrote:

If you are reading Boards consistently then surely you should appreciate that the one thing above all that consistently drives customers mad and away (and puts new customes off big time) is a lack of communication. surely no matter how busy you are pushing out the network you have to communicate with people? You have not apologised to any of the posters above for this lack of communication - and if your sales staff really are out upgrading as one poster claims they are either very versatile or your upgradings are being done by the wrong people?

People like to know what is going on and will respect a company that tells them what is happening or not happening as the case may be - as a customer it is irrelevant to me if you are big company or a small company or indeed if everyone is killing themselves upgrading - if all I get from the Company is silence or voice messages or unanswered emails.

And I am not writing this without some knowledge of your company as friends of mine were waiting ages for your installation which so far has been pretty good for them but lots of people would not have waited and there was a very poor communication process involved.

• Advertisement

Net1 wrote:
    No plans for anywhere between Donnaghmoyne and Monaghan town at the moment. The customer getting 800 down and 196 up has already been made aware of the circumstances on why this is so and when it will be corrected. We will try and keep an eye here so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask .
    Will you if you where funded by a group broadband scheme?

That'd be close enough to me then so. Maybe they'll be in your area around the same time as Butlersbridge goes live then.

We generally tend to stay out of areas which already have DSL. In the case of CMX, Ardee, Ravensdale etc.. we were there first !

A bit off topic but an interaction board for the company might be an idea:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

When will the service be implemented in Kilberry?

How much of an improvement will the changeover make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Dont be so quick to knock Net1.
    Ive used them for over 6 months and have found them to be very good and if anything does go wrong they provide much better personalised tech support than you will get from eircom or any of the other 'BIG' companies.

Conor

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Conor S wrote:
    Dont be so quick to knock Net1.
    Ive used them for over 6 months and have found them to be very good and if anything does go wrong they provide much better personalised tech support than you will get from eircom or any of the other 'BIG' companies.

Conor

The point is not to knock Net1 but to point out to them where they can improve.

Little companies havd advantages over big companies but to grow they need to hold on to their customers and get new ones. Failure to communicate is not good either for the customer nor especially the Company.

we need as much competition and alternative products as possible in the bb area so we need Net1 and others like them and theh comments are made in that spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

@Net1
    What areas are being served through the GBS? I live in M'Boice which has no DSL. Would I be covered by a GBS you are involved in? The normal install price of €349 put me off signing up whereas the GBS is much cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

@Net1
    What areas are being served through the GBS? I live in M'Boice which has no DSL. Would I be covered by a GBS you are involved in? The normal install price of €349 put me off signing up whereas the GBS is much cheaper?

Hiya, to_be_confirmed,,
    Is that short for Monsaterboice? If, so im not far from you. Im based near collon and am trying to get wireless package off Net1 but the E300 installation fee they want is seriously putting me off. Expecial
    ly, when i then have to buy me own wireless router then too, which will be another E100. Thats E400 which makes it dearer than the E350 yearly rental ill be paying.
    My friend in collon village only paid E200 installation cause he was within 1km of the village itself. It took ages for them to set him up aswell. He gets speeds averaging about 20mbs(not sure how you express the 20, is it kb or kbs :confused: ) Im not mad into computers and such :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

€200 for 20 k ? oh dear :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement