Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuning XP for CPU hungry Audio Apps like Cubase, Reason, Live...

• 08-12-2005 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My arrangements in Live are getting a bit complex at times i think and it's starting to eat up a lot of CPU, like reaching 55% so am gonna give these a go later on...

http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

Just sharing the link anyway, hope someone else gets use of it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You only really need to do that if you have less than 512mb ram, having a 1gb or more and all you need to do is make sure your only running essential programs.

Should post on windows forum or computers for a better answer, that website is aimed at pcs that are slow to begin with.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mmc_electerick

ok point taken but when you are using lots of memory intensive vsti's like HALion or Kontakt, all loaded up with samples and lots of audio tracks and have 3 apps rewired to each other - then even when you have 1GB (like me) , things start to slow down... it is known, it happens with professional media editing tools used in audio, video-editing and graphic design, probably why macs are the preferred outlet for such apps, i'd switch just i was raised on windows, work in windows and don't really like macs..
    i'll post threads like this in more computer oriented forum in the future, apologies if it has upset anyone.. i just notice that from visiting this forum that a lot of regular posters use audio software and taught this would have been helpful to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

That is a good guide but if i was going to use the programs you mentioned i would have 1gb minimum and a 2ghz cpu. Most guides for Xp like that are for people who have issues with slow pcs so need to do that rather than want. As your working Live your pc should be a damn fine machine and shouldnt need tweaking on that level.

For your needs you should set a different profile or login for "live" and have nothing running go to Start/Run type Msconfig and literally have nothing checked to load at startup.

Then for browsing and basic PC needs have a login with your messenger etc in it. With 1gb in your pc and those programs running you should be fine unless you have Java or CLi running. Which you wouldnt need live so kill em all :D

I recently got a laptop for a mate who wants to use Cubase and some other thing for Live, got a Inspiron for €1200 with crap graphics card and 2gb or ram. Set him up with Xp pro and 2 logins one for live with the most basic of profiles and one for him to use the pc. Both set right and he finds running cubase on either is fine with a lot of tracks in the memory for mixing etc:

kdjac

Advertisement