Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Giving a tutorial where do i start?

• 08-12-2005 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Just about to take on the dreaded task of tutoring someone in windows. I've done tutoring to people that know windows but want to know programming language. Thats fine i know where to start and end with them but this,this is something horrible and wrong but i need the money.

So, anyone have any idea on where to start on this thing and where to go with it?

Thanks
    Timeout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

Start at the start button.
    Work from there.
    explain files and folders, and work from that.

Why do you ask for help?
    If you are unable to tutor somebody windows, why did you take the job?
    Or is it because you know how to use windows, you assume you have the capacity to teach it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

find out what they want to use the computer for and focus on that

and a little bit about backups like how to use their CDRW if they have one

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

check out the tutorial that comes up when you start xp for the first time, lots of stuff ya'd never think o telling people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the xp tutroial and might have a read of some "How to" books in PC World.
    Z wrote:
    Why do you ask for help?
    I'm asking for a direction to go in, as there are so many i'd like to narrow it down.
    Z wrote:
    If you are unable to tutor somebody windows, why did you take the job?
    I have tutored several people all very happily, but as i said they knew windows. This will require alot of patience, but i need the money.
    Z wrote:
    Or is it because you know how to use windows, you assume you have the capacity to teach it?
    I know windows and I have taught other subjects, so why should this be any different? It is only another subject, teach them what they need to know, avoid going to indept/ over their head and explain it all in plain english.

Programming languages are easy, start with basics and move into more complex functions. What i'd consider simple in windows, burnging a cd, might be complex for some people. Besides, I know people that use windows everyday but would plug a usb printer into an ethernet port just because it fits!

Timeout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

timeout wrote:
    Besides, I know people that use windows everyday but would plug a usb printer into an ethernet port just because it fits!
    Tip
    an extremely bright thin green line runing across your monitor means they have managed to plug in the vga connector upside down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would start explaining comp basic's to them Ram, Hard drive etc so at least they will have some idea what they are talking about. (if you want, download some basic material off the web and give it to them to read in their own time)

Then run through the start menu (as was mentioned previously) run through the common program files, Tell them what the programs do and what they will mostly be using.

I would spend alot of Time with email and the Internet, show them how to look up pages from the address bar, show how to CUT COPY PASTE PRINT SAVE OPEN etc, how to send email to friends, add email addresses and why not to click on every random email they receive. Also what all the icons on the desktop are for.

if you could also document what you have showed them I'm sure they would appreciate it later, try and teach them something fun to if you can keep them interested ... Like the Narrator ;) always good fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Thanks satic wouldn't have thought about handing out documentation, How come my other "students" didn't ask for any?:confused:

Then again I could recommend a book to buy and just teach from that :D

Thanks again guys, keep them coming, don't have first lesson till Friday.
    Timeout

Advertisement