Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Camera Shop

Options
  • 08-12-2005 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭

Anyone on the forum ever buy from these people in William St.(I think it is)?
    I was doing a bit of window shopping last Sunday,are they good to deal with and can you haggle on price.Was looking at a Digital SLR camera but the displayed price was a good bit(i.e. too much) over what I've seen online.

Thanks

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 prguru

No mate I'd go elsewhere. I had two cameras from same shop. Had problems with both and the owners were less than helpful. I'd rather pay a bit more knowing I'd get the back up service.
    I now shop in Dublin for all my photographic requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

No mate I'd go elsewhere
    Yes.
    price was a good bit(i.e. too much) over what I've seen online
    You wont find a shop in Ireland that can compeate with the online prices or even come near them.

internetdirect
    Where I bought my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for the replies
    ARGINITE wrote:
    You wont find a shop in Ireland that can compeate with the online prices or even come near them.

internetdirect
    Where I bought my camera.

Fine,but no one of repute in internet land(including above) has stock of a D70s kit and that shop has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I'd stay away from them too, just for the ludicrous prices. They really need to start doing something different in there. Anyways, try http://www.pixmania.com. They have an online store for Ireland.

Thanks but Pixmania dont have them either,they haven't had them in stock any time I checked(since October :eek: ),and the date expected keeps changing,last I checked it was 16/12/05 but I bet this will change too.

I had one on order from Amazon since 30th August and just got an email the other day saying they aren't expecting any 'til January 26th

Maybe the Galway Camera shop will have a sale in Jan.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I saved €190 by buying from Komplett and not Galway Camera Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I can't compare prices as I never look at them, but in terms of service etc Fahy foto are alot better than the Galway Camera Shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 troofnit

What is wrong with the service in the Galway Camera shop.
    No Shop can compete with internet prices.
    As for after sales service there are rules that have to be followed.
    Fahys are a photo shop not a camera shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

troofnit wrote: »
    What is wrong with the service in the Galway Camera shop.
    Is that a question?
    Yes they can. In Cork, a marine shop I deal with regularly will always try and compete with Internet prices, almost always matching prices (Granted might be a tiny bit more with the 21% VAT as opposed to 17.5% in the UK

Also, another marine shop in the UK that I was in before had a PC at the counter with a sign saying "Found that Internet bargain? Show us, we'll try to match it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I went in to the 'Galway Camera Shop' around 2 years ago at christmas looking Panasonic camera that I wanted to get. Was served by a young girl who hadn't the foggiest about cameras. The question: 'how fast is the lens?' was responded to with a blank stare.

I had the camera (400+) and a 2GB card picked out - was ready to buy there & then, cash in pocket!

However, I'm the type who when spending this money likes to think I'm getting a good deal - so I asked "what the best price was?". A tenner off 'as a good will gesture' or a 'free pack of batteries' etc. would have sealed the deal. Instead, when I asked the young girl 'what was her best price?', she referered me to the owner who dismissed the question outright, in a not so friendly manner.

He lost the sale there and then & I save a fortune by ordering from pixmania.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day.... but the service I got on that day has stoped me from returning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yes they can. In Cork, a marine shop I deal with regularly will always try and compete with Internet prices, almost always matching prices (Granted might be a tiny bit more with the 21% VAT as opposed to 17.5% in the UK

Also, another marine shop in the UK that I was in before had a PC at the counter with a sign saying "Found that Internet bargain? Show us, we'll try to match it!"

Well they can't really John Buckfast not with the prices outside the EU and that's where many seem to be buying equipment. They could however at least do better to compete with UK bricks and mortar shops which are still far cheaper.
    Fahy photo were looking for more than Galway Camera shop for a camera i was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

padi89 wrote: »
    Well they can't really John Buckfast not with the prices outside the EU and that's where many seem to be buying equipment. They could however at least do better to compete with UK bricks and mortar shops which are still far cheaper.
    Fahy photo were looking for more than Galway Camera shop for a camera i was looking at.

padi - Hence why I referred to an EU Country! (UK) - Granted there's a VAT difference which i'll allow for when price comparing

I will sometimes buy local for the convenience, but when buying something that means I need to deal with a sales person i'll ALWAYS ask the 'Whats the best price?' question - It almost always lands a 10% discount (Granted i'm not talking about places like Woodies/B&Q etc. but moreso where the owner of an individual shop might be hanging around). Or even a gesture as mentioned above will make you feel like you're getting a better deal. If they simply won't budge i'll at least price check elsewhere (which i'll usually have done before I buy anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Conn's cameras in Dublin is where I buy most of my gear. Found them grand to deal with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Great post to drag up a three year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I bought a (non-digital) camera in USA in 2001; when is malfuctioned I went to a few different camera shops but they wouldn't/couldn't touch it. I subsequently bought a new digital camera in Galway Camera Shop in 2005. It was a simialr price to Fahy Foto.

They seemed to have a good knowledge and the guy who served me reccommended a camera that was €60 cheaper than the one I was interested in. It proved to be a good choice.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Great post to drag up a three year old thread.

I dont even remember that post

LOL as the OP the camera I was trying to buy then has been bought,used,abused,discarded and upgraded :pac:

EDIT I think there should be an auto lock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Anyone on the forum ever buy from these people in William St.(I think it is)?

Yes, it's on Williams Street, and no, I've never bought anything there.

I have been in on occasion but never bought anything because the prices of some of the stuff I was looking for were so bad it wasn't even funny.

I bought a card for my camera about a year ago. It cost about 75% less than in the Galway Camera Shop, and no, it wasn't a sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

What is wrong with the service in the Galway Camera shop.......Fahys are a photo shop not a camera shop.

Any chance of a good deal on a new camera?
    pencil wrote: »
    .........she referered me to the owner who dismissed the question outright, in a not so friendly manner.
    That sounds like him, truly unpleasant to deal with.
    EDIT I think there should be an auto lock

Ah No. I love old threads and besides its on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I disagree with this point also, I regularly deal with a dive centre that will match any deal you find elsewhere on the net for new gear, and their delivery is free(except for lead of course).

Honestly when you compare their prices to say the Great Outdoors its actually hilarious!! The mark up these shops have is beyond ridiculous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Honestly when you compare their prices to say the Great Outdoors its actually hilarious!! The mark up these shops have is beyond ridiculous!!!

How do you mean here? ie. Are you saying great outdoors is alot more expensive than the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

How do you mean here? ie. Are you saying great outdoors is alot more expensive than the internet?

Yes. Most definately. For Dive equipment anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

I've always found Great Outdoors Dive Gear to be generally over priced. The guys down in Kilkee seem to match most internet prices, plus they're really good to deal with.

So if retailers want they can match Internet prices, just comes down to finding a retailer willing to play ball. But in saying that any of the guys I know with fairly decent cameras have all brought them in from the States.

Advertisement