Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

max and average ADSL distance

• 08-12-2005 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Does anyone know the maximum distance from any Irish Exchange that ADSL has worked from OK and also what a reaonable average distance might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

pdogs wrote:
    Does anyone know the maximum distance from any Irish Exchange that ADSL has worked from OK and also what a reaonable average distance might be?

Most ADSL in Ireland is rate adaptive and will reduce it's speed based on distance.

range can be up to 6km(ish) but there are a massive number of variables such as copper condition, radial length of copper ( as opposed to geographical distance from the exchange) etc....ask Spongebob about pair gains :)

Sadly the question does not have a firm answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. all true.

There is NEC kit not used here (VDSL?) that can either 15km at "normal speeds" or very high speed indeed (200M?) at 1km.

Also not just pairgains (which will fail it generally), but longer circuits may have "loading coils" which will usually block it entirely.

Criminally here they will want to REMOVE ISDN gear. Other countries install aDSL gear that is ISDN compatible.

But I remember near 10 years ago when trying to get detials on ISDN signalling to set up a voice/data/fax/internet gateway on ISDN that the Eircom people had NOT a clue of flexibility of ISDN for the SOHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm 900 meters from a modern digital exchange, natively ISDN.

The Trigger level for ADSL was set at more than the number of Eircom housholds in the village.

It took Eircom FIVE years to admit my line was faulty.

I ordered ISDN and was finally told 3 months later that although neighbours have it and it is an ISDN exchange, no more customers in the village will get ISDN.

The major issue in Ireland is NOT the distance adsl will go from Exchange but willingness of Eicom to fix lines, do LLU, install ISDN/ADSL subscriber gear in C.O. or let others do it etc.

Ther is more than a suspicion than many exchanges have been installed with obsolescent adsl gear simply to forstall Comreg forcing them to open up the exchanges to 3rd partys for adsl who would more agressivly sell it.

Eircom prefers Dialup accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Hi,

Happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that VDSL is very high speeds over very short distances and then nothing at all over medium/ long distances.

Attached is a chart that shows a comparison of different xDSL technologies. Chart can be found here:
    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

FYI: Smart utilise ADSL2+ and G.HDSL

Garfield.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As Garfield said VDSL1 is usually limited to short loops as it doesn't perform very well over long loops.

However there is a new standard VDSL2, which "promises" to operate at much higher speeds then ADSL2+ on short loops, while degrading to the same speeds as ADSL2+ over long loops.

It is backwards compatible with ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL.

Of course this standard was only ratified in May, so it is rather new and expensive:

http://www.convergedigest.com/blueprints/ttp03/bp1.asp?ID=232&ctgy=Loop

BTW most companies are looking to use this with Fibre To The Curb deployments, as there really isn't that much benefit to most users over ADSL2+ in a typical fibre to the exchange setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

Thanks all - most interesting. I guess that being 4miles (for a crow) from my exchange that ADSL is always going to be a non-starter and that if I want BB in the forseeable future its going to have to be by satellite.

As an aside and even though only used here and there abroad - would using ESB power lines ever be practicable for rural outposts??

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Will the upcoming speed upgrades to Eircom Exchanges help overcome the distance factor...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As an aside and even though only used here and there abroad - would using ESB power lines ever be practicable for rural outposts??
    Short answer, no. Trialled and failed miserably from what I've read.
    Will the upcoming speed upgrades to Eircom Exchanges help overcome the distance factor...?
    No. They are only increasing the speeds and not rolling out ADSL2+ as for as anybody is aware. If anything it may cause problems for people currently getting BB but are borderline with regard to distance, line quality etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    Short answer, no. Trialled and failed miserably from what I've read.

No. They are only increasing the speeds and not rolling out ADSL2+ as for as anybody is aware. If anything it may cause problems for people currently getting BB but are borderline with regard to distance, line quality etc.

Dont overlook the line quality issue - My line simply cannot take the full Smart upgrade for expample even though I am happily motoring along with what I can get:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote:
    Dont overlook the line quality issue - My line simply cannot take the full Smart upgrade for expample even though I am happily motoring along with what I can get:)

That is a bit misleading and unfair on Smart (as worded) given that eircom will consider a line with a (was)=2Mbit (new)=3Mbit package to be fully functional at a constant 256k and will actually charge you to downgrade to a speed nearer what you are getting rather than fix that line for you .

Not every carrier guarantees the full nominal port speed , way it always will be .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    That is a bit misleading and unfair on Smart (as worded) given that eircom will consider a line with a (was)=2Mbit (new)=3Mbit package to be fully functional at a constant 256k and will actually charge you to downgrade to a speed nearer what you are getting rather than fix that line for you .

Not every carrier guarantees the full nominal port speed , way it always will be .

Actually it was not meant as a criticism of Smart in any way - I was just reminding people that no matter what speeds are on offer the line quality is an issue and may not come into focus until faster speeds show up its weaknesses.

Smart to be fair to them have done what they can for me in making small adjustments and I getting not too far from the max possible with the Christmas offer but I now know my line will not take any more.

Advertisement