Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a solution to xbox live problems with crap eircom modems

• 08-12-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

click on the following addy - if you have the netopia 2237ngw modem & eircom broadband: http://192.168.1.254/

on the left hand side click on expert mode and go into this - it will give extra options here

click on configure (on left hand side) - three options will come up - the first is connection - click on this

at the bottom of the screne will be a detail upnp - universal plug and play with a green tick beside it - click on the the tick to deselect it - i.e. TURN THIS OPTION OFF

save changes - at very bottom of screen

THEY YA go -

AN F**K EIRCOM - ****ty modem ****ty sech support and overall ****ty service - how dificult would it have been to tell me this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

do you still have to use the PPPoE settings with this method? (default username: eircom1, default password: broadband)? i have found that when i use these settings i can go on live, but i dont have media connectivity with my media center pc... and visa versa when i dont use it!

gonna give ur thing a shot now

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

brilliant! everything is seemless now!!! cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i use a belkin router...
    rang eircom for the vpi vci and the encapsulation settings.
    they said sorry we dont have them. you need to call belkin :-P
    muhahahahahahahahhaha....

so i told them im gonna cancel.
    they gave them to me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

cmb. wrote:
    AN F**K EIRCOM - ****ty modem ****ty sech support and overall ****ty service - how dificult would it have been to tell me this?

Its people like you who make working in a call center hell.
    Eircom.net sells you a broadband connection, which works for certain OSs.
    The Xbox360, last time I checked, doesn't have one of these OSs.
    Eircom.net dont build the Netopia's, they come pre-configured from Netopia with the needed settings, if you want to change the settings, you contact Netopia.

No, I don't work for Eircom.
    Yes, I do have an Eircom broadband connection with a Netopia modem.

i use a belkin router...
    rang eircom for the vpi vci and the encapsulation settings.
    they said sorry we dont have them. you need to call belkin :-P
    muhahahahahahahahhaha....

so i told them im gonna cancel.
    they gave them to me.....

You could have saved yourself time and money and just checked the Eircp, website, which quite clearly has them stated as
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

mcgovern wrote:
    Eircom.net sells you a broadband connection, which works for certain OSs.
    The Xbox360, last time I checked, doesn't have one of these OSs.
    Eircom.net dont build the Netopia's, they come pre-configured from Netopia with the needed settings, if you want to change the settings, you contact Netopia.

its very simple - eircom advertise broadband and the use of xbox live - the supplyt the modems which have been precnfigured not to work with xbox live - i never chose that - and when i rang up - i got no help and got shoved on hold - the idiot on the line didnt ask or tell me that he would stick me on hold and left me there - for what reason - i have no idea - every time i rang eircom ina ny department i have had nothing but trouble with getting the most basic of info - eircom dont provide the servise as advertised and offered no help - is this the fault of those people in call centres? - yes and no - ultimately its with eircom - who i insulted - not the individuals on the phone - bad as they were - and surely professionals would have had this solution and could easily have told me what to do when i rang several times - it would've taken 30 seconds - i stand by my comments about eircoms service - a modem preconfigured not to work with an advertised servise and a no help and often clueless tech support

in response to all my problems and discovering a solution - by trial and error - on my behalf - i offered a solution to others on the site - a productive solution - rather than simply bitching - so what is your problem - take some advise - buy some lego, build a bridge - and get over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

cmb. wrote:
    click on the following addy - if you have the netopia 2237ngw modem & eircom broadband: http://192.168.1.254/

on the left hand side click on expert mode and go into this - it will give extra options here

click on configure (on left hand side) - three options will come up - the first is connection - click on this

at the bottom of the screne will be a detail upnp - universal plug and play with a green tick beside it - click on the the tick to deselect it - i.e. TURN THIS OPTION OFF

save changes - at very bottom of screen

THEY YA go -

Tend to agree with the comment about service although I do have to say, if you ring business support it's a different story. I reckon it must be if your any good you get moved over that direction.

Anyway, just wondering if this method will work with a regular xbox as I'm having problems connecting, it's picking up the ips ok though...?

its very simple - eircom advertise broadband and the use of xbox live - the supplyt the modems which have been precnfigured not to work with xbox live [/QUOTE]

I think you'll find the setting were configured long before the XBOX 360 came out.
    Also, if Ford advertise a car as being drivable, it doesn't mean if you ring Ford up when you buy it because you can't drive it due to no petrol in it, that they should help you fix your problem.

Go read your T&Cs again.

Tend to agree with the comment about service although I do have to say, if you ring business support it's a different story. I reckon it must be if your any good you get moved over that direction.

Anyway, just wondering if this method will work with a regular xbox as I'm having problems connecting, it's picking up the ips ok though...?

yeah - it should work for either xboxes -

mcgovern wrote:
    its very simple - eircom advertise broadband and the use of xbox live - the supplyt the modems which have been precnfigured not to work with xbox live

I think you'll find the setting were configured long before the XBOX 360 came out.
    Also, if Ford advertise a car as being drivable, it doesn't mean if you ring Ford up when you buy it because you can't drive it due to no petrol in it, that they should help you fix your problem.

Go read your T&Cs again.[/QUOTE]

but this was a problem with original xboxes as well - so wrong on that one - and is a simple solution would have been toeither a) configure the modems so that it would work with AND I REPEAT an advertised service i.e xbox live b) having a solution on their website or c) explaining to customers on their technical support lines - i.e giving technical support - the p[oint of the service - your analogy is so far off the point i bought a broadband subscription that was advertised as having xbox capability so i presumed it would actually work with it - and when a problem arose i got the runaround from eircom and zero help - there is no debate on these facts - get over it - this is a thread to help others who have the same problem getting on xbox live as i had - so lets leave it at that - ok - if you want to go on and on and on - make a new thread and leave this help thread alone for its intended purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I've been trying to find a fix for this for ages. Tried it last night.

WORKED!

Thanks a mill bud. Splinter Cell Multi RULES! Not gonna get much sleep for the next few nights... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

cmb. wrote:
    mcgovern wrote:
    -!

Surley the whole point of working in a call centre is that you are there to sort out peoples problems, its people like you that make calling a call centre hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

mcgovern, have to say, ive worked in a call centre before, and the perticular company would have fired me had i kept a caller on hold for longer than 10-15 seconds, or for not resolving the issue within 15 mins( 10 to fix, if not fixed, 5 to ask around ) within the 15, i would be expected to either have resolved it, or then and there move it to a very senior agent. I am just pointing out, that different companies equal different standards, in this case, eircoms call centre is very bad standard. I think in this case, even if eircom claim they didnt deliver the product for xbox 360, its not the point, if they had said...look were very busy, i promise i will check this out and drop you an email etc.. there would probably be no complaints. I myself have had to call them 11 times, when it was a service problem, 9 times i was put on hold, then call dropped, 1 time guy said call back tommorow, when i called back the next day, the guy said to me, " Our technical escallation team cannot find a resolution to your problem, good day " and he hung up. I eventualy found out that the problem was a static IP given to me was incorect. But i got no help whatsovever. I think the whole customer is always right thing is dead and gone, but as i say, not all call centres are the same.

-on topic

Does this work with PS2 net adapter?

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    cmb. wrote:

Surley the whole point of working in a call centre is that you are there to sort out peoples problems, its people like you that make calling a call centre hell.

No, the whole point of working in a call centre (like any other job) is to make money.

@Subliminal,
    Operators for a lot of call centres (eircom.net included) are not supposed to help you with non-supported issues. This is because once you do it for someone once, they ring back again, and again and again with issues that the operator could most likely fix alright, but are not related to the company they work for.
    While the operator is on the phone fixing the non-supported problem, he is costing the company money, and any goodwill gained, is offset by increased queue times for the centre, thus making customers with supported problems more annoyed .

BTW, my eircom netopia worked straight away with XBOX Live, didn't have to touch a thing.

BUMP - i suspect a few people will be having this problem over the next few days - enjoy all

Advertisement