Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty furniture - rights???

Options
  • 08-12-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a leather suite for 2500 earlier this year (deliverd in June). now I find that one of the amrchairs has loosened at the back ( I think a holding nut has come off). Also on the couch, the most often used part of the seat has almost flattened as the springs have seemingly gotten lower or come through underneath.

We've contacted the retailer and they are sending out someone. while I've no doubt that they will probably be able to repair these faults, I have now no confidence that the suite will last any length of time. After all this is two faults in six months and the couch one is particularly bad - in the sense that it seems to be a bad design fault - at least the armchair problem appears only to be a loose nut..

I think I should push for a complete replacement instead or my money back preferrably. What should I do and am I within my rights to reject this furniture for developing these faults after only six months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ur entitlements are a repair or replacement(but considering two faults in 6 months i personally would attempt to get money back),if however the replacement is similar and u have lost confidence in the product or retailer u can ask as an act of good faith for ur money back.Reasonable time and use come into play here but considering furniture thats not been aboused it should last a few years i reckon so IMO u have a good case for full refund

this one is minutely complicated by the fact that u have two complaints,did they happen at once or was there a time difference and did u notify the retailer immediately of the first complaint as and when it happened? they might use this to fob u off for a while

Maybe the repair is all it requires and it will last for 20 yrs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TBH I wasn't too plussed about the armchair problem as I could see that a nut came loose holding the back in place. That happened a couple of months previously. however the Couch problem strikes me as a very bad design fault ( unable to support he weight of someone sitting on it) and as such I have no confidence that a repair which might fix it now will prevent it from ocurring again.

The two together makes me think that I should go allout for either a different set or a refund. I don't have the confidence in a replacement of the same set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

hey all u can do is ask for the refund see what they say

Advertisement