Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby on Rails

Options
  • 09-12-2005 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Been playing around with Ruby on Rails over the last few months and I must say it's very impressive and easy to use... I especially like scafolding and the built in ajax calls...

There was also a report by O'Reilly Media showing the percentage increase / decrease in book sales for the various languages and it mentioned that C# books are up by 20% but it mentioned ruby books were up by 1552%!

What's the general consensus on it?

Is there anyone hosting it yet or does one have to have a dedicated server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's cool but I must admit that I've not done any proper work with it but I do like it. Still it could do with some time to mature i.e. the RadRails IDE that is built using eclipse is getting better and better all the time making it far easier to develop with RoR but it could still do with a few extra features. It looks promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Doesn't require dedicated server, but I dunno if any of the Irish hosters are doing it yet.

I find it a bit bloated for what you're getting. It's still too early to tell, I guess, as OCG says. The good is the rapid development of a basic DB-based app (once business logic comes into the equation, then it's as slow, I find, as any other tech). The bad is the resources it uses. It's a bit of a pig to setup as well, with FastCGI, but I guess hosters will have that bit done for you already. It's getting better, and as documentation / tutorials improve, and with a bit of performance enhancing, it could very well win my approval .. but for now, it's still just for pet-projects / non-production, in my books.

.cg

Advertisement