Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels receive (and reject) two offers for Jason Byrne

• 09-12-2005 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Scandinavians chase Jason Byrne, while O’Halloran signs for Shels

Two top Scandinavian clubs, from different countries, have submitted substantial bids - believed to be a multiple of previous eircom League transfer records - for star Shelbourne striker Jason Byrne. Byrne who is under contract to the Reds may be interested, but manager Pat Fenlon has rebuffed the offers and told both clubs that they would need to increase their bids.

Jason, who has been the league’s top striker for the past three seasons, dismissed talk a few weeks ago of a move to English Championship side Brighton, saying that he was happy to stay with Shels where he would have European football to look forward to once again. However, both clubs now chasing him, are regular European competitors and this could be a deciding factor if he opts to move.

Meanwhile, Pat Fenlon tonight confirmed that he had signed Greg O’Halloran from Cork City on a two year contract. The utility player, who is out of contract with the newly crowned league champions, can play in central midfield as well as providing vital cover across the back

The Shels manager is also interested in signing another defender, but the issue of paying a transfer fee is currently stalling negotiations. Of course, should Jason Byrne leave, then Shels would also very much be in the market for a replacement striker.

Very interesting developments regarding Jayo, could be a big sum involved and it will be very hard to turn down should Jayo want to leave. That said, however, given the manner in which he turned down a move to Brighton it is hard to see him wanting to move to Scandinavia.

As for O'Halloran, it's been the worst kept secret for a while now. He was fairly poor in the cup-final on Sunday, but will hopefully do a decent job for us at left-back and wherever else he is needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the current EL transfer reecord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Haven't a clue but Kevin Doyle cost Reading a whopping £78,000 Stg. That must be fairly close to the record, if nowhere near his proper valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hmm when a club wants an offer increased its fairly set in stone they looking to sell, whos gonna replace him, Bohs got Fabio and McHugh heading to Derry. Be unlike Shels to not buy the top striker in the league.

El record.
    Des Byrne €475,000 Pats to Wimbledon....snigger snigger we got him back on a free 2 years later after getting him on a free in the 1st place :p

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Des Byrne €475,000 Pats to Wimbledon....snigger snigger we got him back on a free 2 years later after getting him on a free in the 1st place :p

Meaning the bid was €950,000 (or more)??? You sure Pats got that much KdjaC?

No wonder Wimbledon went under if that is the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The general view is that the record transfer fee for an LOI player to a foreign club is about £100k stg/ €150k.

• Advertisement

^ Was thinking along those lines myself. Any names eirebhoy? ^

Was €275,000 up front with another €150,000 if he played 50 games and other little things went to 475 in the end.

google it bbc website has the numbers.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&lr=lang_en&q=des+byrne+pats+to+wimbledon&spell=1
    http://wwa.rte.ie/sport/2000/0722/soccer4.html <<< Classic Rte reporting Des who?

Do often wonder where Shels fans get their info

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Dont know if this is related, but when Stephen Bradley moved from Lourdes Celtic to Arsenal it was for something like €250,000. Lourdes subsequently built their clubhouse from these funds.

Yeah I heard it was in around that. Wasn't eL though.

He's now on trial at Reading as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

what do ye shels fans make of gregs signing? i recokon he'll struggle to start for ye.. Utility at best.. strange signing IMO as Nuttsy basically admitted he was singing him for cover..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah I heard it was in around that. Wasn't eL though.

He's now on trial at Reading as far as I know.

He plays with the second best team in louth.

He's been offered trials with Reading and Fulham quite recently.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=331968&CPID=8&clid=&lid=3098&title=Bradley+attracting+interest

Also, he plays with Drogheda Sarge, not Dundalk. You know Drogheda? Cup winners, fourth in the Premier? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Roar wrote:
    what do ye shels fans make of gregs signing? i recokon he'll struggle to start for ye.. Utility at best.. strange signing IMO as Nuttsy basically admitted he was singing him for cover..

A utility squad player primarily as back up for Heary I'd imagine. Essentially Flemmings replacement.

Slash/ED wrote:
    A utility squad player primarily as back up for Heary I'd imagine. Essentially Flemmings replacement.

But who is the new striker? You have always had the best, there must be something lined up. Insane managers sell their "goals" and not having someone else to provide the "goals."

Any rumours as to who?

kdjac

No, and I agree.

The only obvious contender inside Ireland should Jayo go would be Zayed. Mchugh seems Derry bound.

Slash/ED wrote:

The only obvious contender inside Ireland should Jayo go would be Zayed. .

So a tactical Devlin strike as its called.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

my mate is goin out with jason byrne's cousin (great how these things are!!) and she told him that the bid was 400,000

Yeah €400k seems to be the figure being floated about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

400k is good money for a player of his age...

Nuttzz wrote:
    400k is good money for a player of his age...

bad money for a player of his quality.....

• Advertisement

Nah I'd say 400k is quite a fair valuation of Jayo. Not too often eL players are accurately valued but I think this is about right.

He's a goalscorer for Shels, a great one, but whether or not he can do it at a higher level is a matter of debate.

You wouldn't get a player of his quality for 400k in any other league in the world. Shels were right to reject that offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Do Bray really get 50% of the fee, as is the rumours folating about...?

Well they probably have some kind of clause alright, but the 50% thing is wild speculation.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Well they probably have some kind of clause alright, but the 50% thing is wild speculation.
    Just confirmed on Shelsweb.

(Eeks, thats scarily quick!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Now the did is €600,000.

It all depends if Shels can replace him. There are not too many around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

news of the world have it as the following:

shelbourne striker jason byrne is poised to sign an amazing €600,000 transfer deal to top swedish club Djurgardens.

shels boss pat fenlon said: "negotiations between djurgardens and ourselves have gone well"

€600,000 is great money. Hopefully we'll sign a great replacement or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Signed for 70,000 a couple of years back. Ill take a stab in the dark at 10k bonus to Bray for his 30seconds in the Irish jersey.
    Now a further 300,000 going to Bray. Obviously better than him doing a Foley but still not great.

That 600k figure was invented by the NOTW so I wouldnt take it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's a goalscorer for Shels, a great one, but whether or not he can do it at a higher level is a matter of debate.

Higher level? Are you serious? The Swedish league, if at all, would be only marginally higher than the eL. Proof of this, in my mind, is the fact that Cork City knocked the eventual Swedish champions out of Europe 2 years running.

Id hazard alot of that money will be used to ease the problem caused by not qualifying for the CL or Uefa cup. Besides, do Shels really need to go out and buy in anyone? Gary O Neill and Crowe is still a fairly formidable strike force.

gimmick wrote:
    Id hazard alot of that money will be used to ease the problem caused by not qualifying for the CL or Uefa cup. Besides, do Shels really need to go out and buy in anyone? Gary O Neill and Crowe is still a fairly formidable strike force.

With added prize money, setanta cup and tv money this season compared to last the difference is not what you'd think. We didn't have to sell anyone this season.

Agree about that strike force, but there's now no back up. It's a tricky one now really, do you sign someone who will demand first team football and be a quality player which might cause tension or buy someone younger who may turn out to be rubbish but will be content to sit on the bench? Someone has to be signed, Fitzpatrick was let go so there's just those two really.

gimmick wrote:
    Higher level? Are you serious? The Swedish league, if at all, would be only marginally higher than the eL. Proof of this, in my mind, is the fact that Cork City knocked the eventual Swedish champions out of Europe 2 years running.

The fact that they can afford to spend 400k or 600k on a striker says a good bit about the level of football there, not that it automatically equates to a higher standard of football. Also, Norway and Sweden are 20th and 23rd respectively in the UEFA co-efficients, whereas Ireland are in 36th (04-05 figures, apologies if there are more up-to-date ones). The gap is certainly narrowing but imo (and no I haven't ever seen a Norweigian or Swedish league match, at least I don't think I have) there is probably a higher standard in either of those two countries. Players from the domestic leagues regularly get picked for both nations too, and Norway and Sweden are very decent international sides.

Yeah I'm sure a large portion of it will be put to that use, but I'm sure there are quality players out there for smaller amounts of money. Nutsy has said we are trying to sign a defender but agreeing on a fee is proving tricky. If Jayo leaves it mightn't be so tricky...

Also, we have let Glen Fitz go, so we certainly do need one (if not two) strikers if Jayo goes. Two players for every position is usually the rule (not that you would believe it looking at our midfield!). Glen Crowe and Gary O'Neill are a little bit too similar, we'd certainly need someone like Jayo to replace Jayo. If that makes any sense...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The fact that they can afford to spend 400k or 600k on a striker says a good bit about the level of football there, not that it automatically equates to a higher standard of football. Also, Norway and Sweden are 20th and 23rd respectively in the UEFA co-efficients, whereas Ireland are in 36th (04-05 figures, apologies if there are more up-to-date ones). The gap is certainly narrowing but imo (and no I haven't ever seen a Norweigian or Swedish league match, at least I don't think I have) there is probably a higher standard in either of those two countries. Players from the domestic leagues regularly get picked for both nations too, and Norway and Sweden are very decent international sides.

All that most of that shows is the Swedish league is treated better by the Swedish people than our own in terms of investment and support, and faith with the international teams whereas our players dont become international class until they score 3 goals in division one. It means their basic infrastructure is probably streets ahead of ours too.

Standard wise though, we're gaining ground ranking wise quickly, and Cork absolutley hammered their champions last season and if they were more clinical would have won outright against their champions again this season having bossed the home game. If the Swedish league is a higher standard it is probably in the fact their lower teams would be far better than the likes of Longford here, Cork showed there's not much better their and our best, if anything Cork showed they were better.

Slash/ED wrote:
    If the Swedish league is a higher standard it is probably in the fact their lower teams would be far better than the likes of Longford here, Cork showed there's not much better their and our best, if anything Cork showed they were better.

Yeah that is probably the case, although I haven't seen anything of either league so debating it is ultimately pointless. The point I'm trying to make is that if Jason Byrne goes, I won't expect him to become top scorer in the league. Obviously it has as much to do with settling in and styles of play as it has to do with his quality and the quality of the league in general, but the fact that he is essentially being eyed up by as a replacement for Soren Larsen makes me wonder how he will fare. I've seen Larsen play a few times and he is a lethal, international-standard (and proven) striker.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah that is probably the case, although I haven't seen anything of either league so debating it is ultimately pointless. The point I'm trying to make is that if Jason Byrne goes, I won't expect him to become top scorer in the league. Obviously it has as much to do with settling in and styles of play as it has to do with his quality and the quality of the league in general, but the fact that he is essentially being eyed up by as a replacement for Soren Larsen makes me wonder how he will fare. I've seen Larsen play a few times and he is a lethal, international-standard (and proven) striker.

Yeah, and that's a real compliment to Jayo and the league here. Why is it theyt want to replace Larsen with Byrne and we wont even replace Jon Macken, Graham Barrett and Gary Doherty with him. If Jayo is a huge success in Sweden, and Doyle is already a huge success in England, people will still laugh when we suggest Wes Hoolahan is worth a chance for us.

Slash/ED wrote:
    people will still laugh when we suggest Wes Hoolahan is worth a chance for us.

Sure he only plays with Shels, he obviously isn't a good enough standard for Ireland, if he was he'd be playing in England... :rolleyes:

Ironically just got an o2 text alert...

"Shels' Jason Byrne is set to become the most expensive eircom League player ever if a deal worth about E600,000 with Swedish side Djurgardens goes through."

[edit] - Lyn Oslo are clearly desperate for a striker - http://www.livescore.com/default.dll/Game?comp=norway1&game=106078

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sure he only plays with Shels, he obviously isn't a good enough standard for Ireland, if he was he'd be playing in England... :rolleyes:
    Sure Shels are shít :rolleyes:

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=212

Djurgårdens IF fail to come back with improved offer – by Fintan Cassidy

As far as Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon is concerned, the proposed transfer of Jason Byrne to Djurgårdens IF has fallen through, after the Swedish champions failed to respond with an increased bid when their initial offer was rejected last week.

Said Fenlon: “It’s all over now and I’ve spoken to Jason to tell him so. Of course he’s disappointed – as is everyone at the club disappointed for him on a personal level. It would have been a very good move for him but it wasn’t to be and he’s accepted that. It had to right for the club too, but their offer to us wasn’t good enough. Jason has two more years at Shelbourne on his current contract and he’s happy to stay on and carry on as he has done for the past three years, as top scorer in the league.”

In other transfer news, considerable progress has been made in talks with Sean Dillon and Longford Town manager Alan Mathews, but a number of issues remain to be resolved before the defender can sign for Shelbourne.

• Advertisement

Excellent. We'd be net recieveing 200,00 for him, a joke.

Here's to another 30 goals!

Absolutley, fantastic news.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Absolutley, fantastic news.

So you have a player who doesnt want to play for you anymore and expect 30 goals and thats great news :confused:

kdjac

Jayo loves it at Shels, fact! :)

Where has he said he doesn't want to play for us anymore? :D

Anyway we've no need for the money sure aren't Pats paying us loads when Ndo signs for them along with Ronaldinho and a few others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's a story floating about with Norwich lining up a bid.

They'd need to stump up a fair whack! ;) Though Jason said in an interview a few weeks back - linking him with Brighton - in no uncertain terms that that was of no interest to him! "The first I heard was a phone call from my wife who saw it mentioned in the evening paper on Tuesday night. I’ve heard nothing from them and sure there’d be no point in me going over there. For what? I’m still a Shels players and I’m looking forward to playing in Europe with Shels for a few seasons yet."

Norwich aren't even a top Championship side at the moment - not far ahead of Brighton!

norwich wudnt be a bad move for him at all. Would this be as a replacement for Dean Ashton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Byrne will score goals wherever he goes ... he's a proven consistent striker .. I'd say there'll be more offers for him ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement