Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Drinking Chocolate

Options
  • 09-12-2005 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Had some of this in a coffee shop in town the other day and it was lovely.
    Does anyone know can it be bought for home making like normal, (dark?) milk chocolate?.. powder form, yanno..
    Had a quick look in Tesco tonight and saw nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

An interesting concept, must keep an eye for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Its very sweet though.. Insomnia i think might be the said coffee shop. I think starbucks do it too. http://www.thechocolatealchemist.co.uk/product.html
    Not cheap but god its good! (might not be to good to drink loads of it!) I have a jar I got during the summer, still have some left....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is very sweet, I prefer a blend of white and normal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Coffee shops usually use a syrup, not a powder.
    Try starbucks, you can usually buy their syrups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Gloria Jeans used to sell tins of white chocolate powder in Cork. In Dublin, I think they sold it by the sachet. Don't know if they still do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Gloria Jeans do sell the powder alright. The NICEST white hot chocolate you can make at home though can be bought in the UK from Whittards if you happen to be making a trip over or know anyone over there!! YUM YUM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I didn't really like the Whittard version to be honest with you. The absolute nicest I drank was in Le Café in Venice near Accademia (if you're going). It was very thick and sweet. I'm thinking of experimenting with some cornflour and expensive white chocolate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the whittards stuff is very sweet, nice though. best way to make it is w/ melted white chocolate. O'Connaill's chocolate shop in cork do divine hot choc, its all made w/ melted choc (and some praline if you like it that way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i work in a coffee shop and we use white mocha sauce, from matthew algie supplers (scotland). i dont like the taste, find it too sweet, but its quite popular! i love our hot choc, the powder has three times the cocoa content of normal drinking choc eg Cadburys...mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

dawballz wrote:
    Had some of this in a coffee shop in town the other day and it was lovely.
    Does anyone know can it be bought for home making like normal, (dark?) milk chocolate?.. powder form, yanno..
    Had a quick look in Tesco tonight and saw nothing.

Was this at the 'Joy of Coffee' in Temple Bar? They do the best hot chocolate going but unfortunately the stuff they use (which is a French product) cannot be made at home with just a kettle. I think it needs a proper Gaggia style machine to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

If you get to Belgium, try out the chocolate houses...yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

RobEire wrote:
    Was this at the 'Joy of Coffee' in Temple Bar? They do the best hot chocolate going but unfortunately the stuff they use (which is a French product) cannot be made at home with just a kettle. I think it needs a proper Gaggia style machine to make it.

If it is the Italian one that they use in "The Joy of Coffee" then PM me and I can ask where he gets it and how it is made as I am a good friend of the owner.
    He actually went to Italy on a trip there a while back to source the best of Italian products and this was one he came back with.
    It is in the front of the shop in a wooden case, I think he is the sole supplier in Ireland.

<edit> or you could simply go in and look for Sergei the Russian manager and ask him about it, he will be more than happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

I adore insomnia's white hot chocolate! They use that white chocolate essence/syrup.

Interested in hearing how people's experiments on making their own goes...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

anyone found a supplier yet?
    would be mad for the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i got some powder in health food/food shop in rathdowney outlet,it wasnt great though,had plasticy taste to it

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Options do sachets of white hot choccie.
    I've rarely come across them in tesco though.
    You'd probably have better luck in a spar that sells lots of coffee.
    They're often beside all the coffee making stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Yeah the options one is the only one I've seen. It's nice, but nothing on a par with the ones you get in Insomnia, probably because of what other posters have mentioned, the ones in coffee shops are made with vanilla/white chocolate syrup and steamed milk, wheras with the Options one, it's just powder and water (less calories but much less flavour and richness). I mix milk into the Options but it's still not the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

I make my own hot chocolate by heating milk and a bar of choc together in a saucepan. Just keep stiring until all the chocolate is melted.

You can use white,dark or milk chocolate, whichever you prefer.
    My fave is milk choc (dairy milk bars work well):D

Try it when you get home - much nicer than powder hot choc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    I make my own hot chocolate by heating milk and a bar of choc together in a saucepan. Just keep stiring until all the chocolate is melted.

i was just about to suggest this myself! the nicest white hot choc had to be from butlers cafes... i love it so much, it's lovely and creamy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Oh I absolutely LOVE white drinking chocolate a nice cup of Butlers is enough for me... ooh I really want some now shame on you thread for making me crave :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

I will definately be trying this, sounds so yum!

Advertisement