Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAT problem through Sipura 2100 ATA

• 09-12-2005 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

This could go here, in Broadband, Nets/Comms or Computers but I figure the real expertise I need is in here.

Using NTL/Blueface/Sipura setup. When I use Bit Torrent, you know, for those Linux ISOs, the "traffic light" stays yellow and the tracker reports that I'm not connectable. Azureus goes one better and tells me it's most likely a NAT problem. First suspect in for questioning was the firewall, Norton internet security, but after configuring it every which way and even reinstalling it I had no joy. So I turned it off.......aaaaand the problem remained!

Then I unplugged the Sipura adaptor from the chain and tried the cable modem direct into the PC and all was good, green lights a go go. A quick shufty around the Sipura web interface showed up plenty of options for tweaking but ultimately made my head hurt so I had to have a glass of wine and a lie down.

Has anybody had/fixed this problem and could suggest how I tackle it? The Blueface staff are great at what they do but they really don't have any depth of knowledge around the ATA configuration. The best suggestion they could come up with was sending the ATA back for a firmware flash but looking at the release notes for the firmware updates I don't see anything to suggest that it would be worthwhile.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I have my Sipura immediately 'behind' my (NTL) modem and before my router. I have set up my routers IP as the DMZ host in the Sipura config. No problems. I then poke holes in my router as per normal. If you don't have a router then just set your machine's IP address as the DMZ host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Not at home now but have I got this right?...

Cable --> NTL Modem --> Sipura --> PC

Set the "DMZ Host" in the Sipura config web page as whatever my current IP as assigned by NTL is?

I don't rightly know how often NTL renew my IP address but I presume if the above is correct that I will know when my Bit Torrent status goes back to NAT problems that I need to update the IP for the Sipura again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Close :) Whilst at your PC open a command prompt (Start/Run... cmd OK) and give the command 'ipconfig'. This will tell you the IP address you have been assigned. It will actually be the IP address which the Sipura has assigned to you - not your NTL IP address. Anyway, the ipconfig address is the one to configure as the DMZ host on the Sipura.

Also, you can hard code your PC's IP address so it doesn't change but if you've only got one machine on your 'network' at home, you should be assigned the same address each time so it's 6 of one etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭capistrano

Sounds like you are using the ATA as a router too. In this case you need to port forward the bittorrent port to your PC. You can do this in the Sipura config pages: go to the Router -> Application tab and add your port forward there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Yup, That got it!
    Thanks for all your help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement