Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Locking down XP

• 09-12-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I need to lock a pc that is running windows XP to allow users to only access our company intranet. Now I have done a bit of research and found some reg keys that allow me to lock some things like preventing users shutting down the pc, disabling task manager and hiding the desktop. Now if I was able to remove the start menu I'd be nearly there just put a shortcut to the intranet site I want in the all users startup folder and change the IE settings to block internet (not sure how to do that).

Is there any easy way to do this? I know I could stop the shell pointing to explorer.exe but will I be able to launch iexplorer then??

So if anyone knows how to hide/disable the start menu or get ie to launch after changing the shell from explorer.exe I'd be very garteful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Never mind I got it eventually, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Just for info as you're talking about registry hacks.

Can you not apply a domain or local group policy to this particular machine?
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kgpolicies.html

Think you're looking at the kiosk setup as described
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/csws2003.mspx

Makes it easier to maintain or transfer to other PCs and its easier to be selective with plenty of prewritten scripts. E.g disabling just bits that you don't want from the start menu, disabling the task manager, allow only selected programs to run.

Otherwise you've to log all of the registry changes that you make to the machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can you post how you did it ?

Other ways to Block IE without affecting the rest of windows are to disable external DNS so they can't lookup stuff on the internet. Using Proxy.Pac files to redirect internet requests to null servers. You could also block direct connections so they have to use a proxy and then setup the rules on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I edited the group policies through mmc, allowing only iexplore.exe to run and then I edited the proxy settings in the registry so users can only access Intranet. There may well be an easier way to do it but that done the trick for me.

Advertisement