Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Service??

Options
  • 09-12-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have just got a new car (04) and it has a VW 1.9 TDi engine. A mate of mine has an A3, also with a 1.9 TDi engine. He reckons he doesn't need a service for at least 20-30000 mile intervals. The garage I got the car from says i will need a service after every 9000 miles. Is there any standard time frames from diesel engines for servicing?
    I am guessing, not sure though, that the two engines are the same (VW and Audi are the same company?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

10,000 per service

Have a VW 1.9Tdi and my bro has an A4 1.9Tdi and 10,000 miles and you service car, GF has A3 1.6 but she services every 10,000 miles as well.

Your mate is talking s**t and is damaging his car. 20-30,000? where he get this number? off the top of his head. Every 10,000 and your car will run for years. Every 20-30,000 and your car will pack up alot quicker. Just make sure to keep a check on oil between services on the VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly, every other service is essentially little more than an oil change, but oil changes are more frequent and more important in diesel cars than petrol ones. My Ford diesel service interval is 12,500 miles (20,000 km's).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Big Nelly wrote:

Your mate is talking s**t and is damaging his car. 20-30,000? where he get this number? off the top of his head. Every 10,000 and your car will run for years. Every 20-30,000 and your car will pack up alot quicker. Just make sure to keep a check on oil between services on the VW.

There is some spoof in the manual of my A4 about this long life service and it does give huge milage between oil changes but you have to request this service specially.It gives the spec of the oil(VW 506 I think) which I saw in a motor factors and was very pricey.
    I got my oil changed after a year,there was only 5k on it and iirc the computer was saying 22000 miles to service.This long life oil is filled at the factory when new.

Seven Worlds will Collide

There is some spoof in the manual of my A4 about this long life service and it does give huge milage between oil changes but you have to request this service specially.It gives the spec of the oil(VW 506 I think) which I saw in a motor factors and was very pricey.
    I got my oil changed after a year,there was only 5k on it and iirc the computer was saying 22000 miles to service.This long life oil is filled at the factory when new.

I know on the A3 there is long life spark plugs in them but never heard anything on the A4 and a long life. My bro got his serviced in garage and that was an Audi one and they wanted it for service every 10k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thanks for the replies. I don't think my mate was trying to bullsh!t me though, I think he genuinly thought this was the case.
    10K it is then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Long-life oil is a con, the ONLY way to keep your engine good is to feed it fresh oil and filters on a regular basis.
    I change mine every 5000 miles.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Long-life oil is a con, the ONLY way to keep your engine good is to feed it fresh oil and filters on a regular basis.
    I change mine every 5000 miles.

Thats a bit over the top, you are only working the oil filter in at 5,000. 10,000 is just around the proper milage to service it. Thats what I have done in all my cars, jeeps and so on. Every 10K miles service them. About every 2 services you will need new air filter and make sure to check the pollen filter, last few cars I have got have seen the pollen filter hasnt been changed since it was bought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Big Nelly wrote:
    I know on the A3 there is long life spark plugs in them but never heard anything on the A4 and a long life. My bro got his serviced in garage and that was an Audi one and they wanted it for service every 10k miles

Yea I got mine new from an Audi dealer and they told me 10K or a year.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Big Nelly wrote:
    Thats a bit over the top, you are only working the oil filter in at 5,000. 10,000 is just around the proper milage to service it. Thats what I have done in all my cars, jeeps and so on. Every 10K miles service them. About every 2 services you will need new air filter and make sure to check the pollen filter, last few cars I have got have seen the pollen filter hasnt been changed since it was bought
    What do you mean by *working the filter in*?

CJhaughey wrote:
    What do you mean by *working the filter in*?

Well the filter are built to do over 10K miles until they need changing. Not sure what the technical term is but the filter will be still in very good condition if you change after 5,000 miles.

only a week ago GF got car serviced to get bushins(sp) done on wheel, said while she was at it will get oil changed and so on. Mechanic who is mate of mine wasn't going to bother changing oil filter cause only at 8,000(she does low milage) but I told him to change while we where at it. Thats from a mechanic so I take there words for it. No sales pitch or anything with him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Big Nelly wrote:
    10,000 per service

Have a VW 1.9Tdi and my bro has an A4 1.9Tdi and 10,000 miles and you service car, GF has A3 1.6 but she services every 10,000 miles as well.

Funnily enough he isn't talking **** or damaging his car. I have a mk2 Skoda 1.9tdi which has a variable service interval and the service book states for my model that the the oil change service interval is 20,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes sooner. As someone stated previously it is factory filled with vw506 long life oil. It also says to check the oil level frequently as it will burn oil usually during the first 5,000 miles and only to top up with the the same spec long life oil. The recommended oil and filters interval for the fixed service interval model which uses semi-synthetic oil is 10,000miles.

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely about the importance of regular oil changes but distance travelled between oil changes is only one factor in deciding how often it should be done.
    Other things to take into account are:
    Type of driving your doing
    Climate your driving in,
    Condition of the engine.
    Quality of the oil your using.
    So basically what i'm saying is if you live in Iceland and you drive a smoky 15yr old golf tdi doing loads of cold starts and you only using the cheapest oil you can find then it would probably be advisable to change your engine oil probably ever 3k. If you live in Ireland and drive a newish car with a modern PumpDuse tdi engine and your using high quality manufacturers long life oil or synthetic oil then changing the oil according to manufacturers guidelines shouldn't harm the car in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

According to Belgard if the car is filled with that expensive SLX oil, which all diesels are from new, then the 1st service is 20k. If you choose to use a chepaer oil then it needs changing earlier. The guy who is the Bardahl distributor for Ireland told me that the VAG spec oil is the highest spec out there.

At one point only one manufacturer could meet that spec (BTW I'm talking about the API rating)

The Audi stealers used to charge €85 for 5 litres, now you can get it cheaper than that, but I've never seen it under €50 !

For my personal peace of mind I will continue to change it every 10k miles. buy all the part myself and mate installs and changes oil for 50 euro so sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

On my Toyota diesel i change the oil every 3K and filter every 6K. Ive been driving diesels since 1993 and thats the way its always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Big Nelly wrote:

There are no spark plugs on a diesel engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tommyboo

lads im new to this can someone tell me how to start a new thread???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My 1.4 VW Golf is serviced every 30,000km. I was amazed that it could last that long when i first got it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There are no spark plugs on a diesel engine

Read the full thread,he said it was his GF car,which is an A3 1.6,now correct me if im wrong but my reckoning is 1.6 is petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

azzeretti wrote:
    I have just got a new car (04) and it has a VW 1.9 TDi engine. A mate of mine has an A3, also with a 1.9 TDi engine. He reckons he doesn't need a service for at least 20-30000 mile intervals. The garage I got the car from says i will need a service after every 9000 miles. Is there any standard time frames from diesel engines for servicing?
    I am guessing, not sure though, that the two engines are the same (VW and Audi are the same company?)

The new wv/audi group diesel engines have to use a special oil which is castrol longlife oil and The interval actually IS 20,000 between changes. The ONLYreason the garage says 9.000 is because they are trying to rip you off, they all do this. I work in a fleet management company and we manage the fleets of several fairly big companies and there are a lot of dielel vw and audi cars out on fleet contracts and i get phoned up regularly by driver freaking out saying "the sticker the garage put on my screen says i need oil changes every 9,000 miles, its gone past that, what are you going to do about it? i need a service now!"
    The reality is that these cars, as stated by the vw/audi group need change of oil every 20,ooo miles and not 9,000. So we just advise the driver to check his oil level and if it's low he should top it up.

THE CARS ACTUALLY TELL YOU AS STANDARD WHEN THEY'L BE NEEDING AN OIL CHANGE BECAUSE A MESSAGE COMES UP TO WARN YOU IN ADVANCE.

Garages tell you to come back sooner because that way they make more money, simple as that. Petrol cars of similar age do need more regular changes, usually 8 to ten thousand and 10,000 for that petrol 1.6 mentioned somewhere sounds ok.
    This is fact and any one questioning it needs to talk to castrol to see about the oil and to check with vw/audi

Dcully wrote:
    Read the full thread,he said it was his GF car,which is an A3 1.6,now correct me if im wrong but my reckoning is 1.6 is petrol.

Thanks man. Didnt have to clear this up myself:D

General Motors have you ever seen a 1.6 diesel? maybe you should actual read the thread before quoting people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Nelly wrote:
    General Motors have you ever seen a 1.6 diesel?

Opel Ascona :)
    PSA 1.6 HDi
    and the old golf?

(obviosuly not on a VW in recent years though)

You really wont harm your engine by servicing it too often. Every 3000 miles is a bit extreme alright (for your pocket if you do a lot of driving), but I think somewhere between 8-10k on a modern diesel is ok. I dont think you should go beyond that, why bother, oil and filters are cheap.

maidhc wrote:
    PSA 1.6 HDi
    and the old golf?

You really wont harm your engine by servicing it too often. Every 3000 miles is a bit extreme alright (for your pocket if you do a lot of driving), but I think somewhere between 8-10k on a modern diesel is ok. I dont think you should go beyond that, why bother, oil and filters are cheap.

Meant to put in Audi 1.6 Diesel:D Monday morning and all...half asleep in work

Filters and everything, along with enought oil for 3 services came to about 70 quid a few weeks ago. Not bad. Then service was 50 so 120 but because have oil will be about 70 next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

maidhc wrote:
    PSA 1.6 HDi
    and the old golf?

What's said here is true, BUT , i must make the point that maybe it would actually is a good idea to save one's self a significant amount of cash by using the 20,ooo mile interval that the new vw/audi diesels are DESIGNED TO ALLOW FOR. It makes sense.

Advertisement