Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Naughtyness on Bargain Alerts.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Good find rsynnott.

It's clear that people are now aware of forum boards (like this) are a powerful medium of getting exposure, with word-of-mouth advertising being one of the main rewards.

Usually it's just a "drive-by" spammer that gets deleted and banned, but these guys are putting a bit more effort into it.
    This is a huge area that advertisers and companies are jumping onto with many bloggers now being paid big money to mention they use certain services and product... and other infiltrating forums.

However, sometimes it's a fine line knowing when it's a pimping session and when it's a genuine referral, and this could break down the whole trust people have in forums (I know many people, including myself, come here to ask for peoples opinions on products/services before we buy).

But on the above, you've spotted them a mile away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

rsynnott for Bargain Alerts mod. Was this what I was meant to say Rob?

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    rsynnott for Bargain Alerts mod. Was this what I was meant to say Rob?

Good lord, no; I've never even been there before. I saw a complaint about his sig on SIGPO, smelt a rat (I remembered seeing a supposedly different person pimping said site a while back on Webmaster) and had a look. Investigating peoples' scams is a hobby of mine.

Also this one

*shakes head*

How has this not been noticed before?

Incidentally, googling the site name shows he's tried the same thing elsewhere...

Can we have a 'Scams' forum? Please? :)

Wonder if the banning stick will get an airing tonight? :v:

Another: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1184298

This guy seems to be the Bubbles of spammers.

The worst of it is, apart from mildly deceptive marketting practices and the customs issues, the company doesn't seem to be too horrible. There's at least one genuine satisfied customer (or else he's being very subtle. There's one who has 33 posts, only two of which relate to the offending site).

• Advertisement

You did it again with the search link! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

As I said, rsynnott for mod.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

will sort it out

Here he is. Note that there are some real posts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=48480

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thanks rsynnott :)

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

imaginary good rep sent to rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

careful now

Sorry to drag this up again, but is it at all appropriate that the person in question is STILL advertising his website in his sig despite being warned about it by SIGPO and despite having advertised that website in a misleading and deceitful manner? (TheWaterBoy)

Advertisement