Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes appropriate to a womans age.

• 09-12-2005 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

So when should a woman stop following fashion trends for fear of looking stupid?

Have noticed that a lot of women of a certain age seem to wander around in their daughters clothes.

Recent example, there was a woman who must have been 30 wearing those skin tight jeans tucked into her boots yesterday when I went to lunch.

There should be guidelines in place methinks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Wear what ever suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's all about a woman body rather than her age.
    If a woman in her 30s can look good in skin tight jeans, go for it!
    I know some girls in their 20s that should stay well clear from them... but dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

[QUOTE=I know some girls in their 20s that should stay well clear from them... but dont.[/QUOTE]

Yeahh that is so true!

Definatly depends on the figure of the woman! My friend's mother is around 48 and she looks fantastic, she would look brilliant in a brown paper bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peterl

i think it's a mistake for either gender to follow fashion. better to try to attain a sense of style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Ekk, 30 is not old, why should someone in their 30's dress any different from someone in their 20's? We are not all mothers in our 30's either. OK, so I am 31, but I wear mini-skirts etc. The only reason why I do not wear skinny jeans is because they do not suit my body shape (am a size 8 but am curvey). I feel far happier about my figure in my 30's than in my 20's, my boobs are bigger, I have a curvey figure and I am about a stone lighter. My mother dressed according to her figure not her age and looked amazing - she also only started to wear any other make up than lipstick and eyeshaddow when she was in her 50's...I plan to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

also there's the case of youger girls dressing too old for their age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Raiser wrote:
    So when should a woman stop following fashion trends for fear of looking stupid?

Have noticed that a lot of women of a certain age seem to wander around in their daughters clothes.

Recent example, there was a woman who must have been 30 wearing those skin tight jeans tucked into her boots yesterday when I went to lunch.

That's just an insane remark to make. 30 is by no means old and personally I would find an older woman who dressed like that sexier than someone in their 20's.
    As has been said, whatever is good with their figure. And in fairness, isn't fashion all about choice. A woman should be free to wear what she wants, even if it makes you cringe! Afterall, your not the one wearing it.

(Or are you???? Just kidding!!!) :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

mutton dressed as lamb tbh all fur coats and no knickers
    my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Scraggs wrote:
    mutton dressed as lamb tbh all fur coats and no knickers
    my 2c
    just wait til you're 30 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It definitely depends on the figure and the way a woman wears the clothes. Age doesn't mean that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My mum wears some gorgeous clothes that look really great on her and suit her figure. She'll buy what's in fashion (I mean real fashion, not skinny jeans tucked into uggs) and make it look good on her. I only hope I look that good when I'm in my 40s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

whiskeyman wrote:
    just wait til you're 30 ;)

hey!!! i can assure you that i am a classy lady that dresses appropriately and will continue to do so in my thirties! [:eek: thats only 12yrs away!!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Scraggs wrote:
    hey!!! i can assure you that i am a classy lady that dresses appropriately and will continue to do so in my thirties! [:eek: thats only 12yrs away!!]
    The years will fly by, trust me. When you get to your 30's your brain is still 18, sometimes your body will show wear and tear, sometimes it will not, it partially depends how you live your life in the inbetween time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Raiser wrote:
    a woman who must have been 30

Jesus, ancient, she should be wearing a headscarf and a nun's skirt! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Well im only 4 years away from 30 and i plan to keep the figure i have and wear whatever i want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't like it when women try to dress younger than they are, I think it looks kind of desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

~Leanne~ wrote:
    Well im only 4 years away from 30 and i plan to keep the figure i have and wear whatever i want!

Thanks for that reminder of how old I am. I hadn't realised that I was so close to the dreaded 30 :s

I'll admit that there are people who don't wear clothing appropriate for their age, but I don't think it's as big a problem in Ireland as it is in other countries.

Another reminder to OP - 30 isn't old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Ha ha im looking at the number "30" and cringing!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Raiser wrote:

Oh no! I've seen Kate Moss wearing skin tight jeans tucked into her boots recently and she's nearly 32!!! Quick, someone force that woman into retirement! :rolleyes:

What suits one person at a certain age may not look as good as another person of the same age. Everyone is different.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are a few vague guidelines on clothes, but emphasis should be on the word vague. For example in terms of tops I know the vague guideline is avoid strapless tops after 40, avoid sleeveless tops after 50 - but then again, there are a fair few teenagers with flabby arms who'd do well to avoid anything sleeveless, and there'd be older women with toned arms who'd look fine. It really depends on your figure I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Depends entirely on the person.

And 30 isn't old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I can kinda see what the OP was trying to (but failed to) get at. It looks desperate when an older (I dont mean 30's either!) woman dresses in clothes more suited to younger people. If they have the figure for it, they should flaunt it, however many dont and it looks terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dress for your shape and appearance, not your age. Your age has nothing to do with it.

The cast of desperate housewives are a far cry from 30, I'm pretty sure nobody's about to tell them they can't dress how they want. Why? Because they're all pretty stunning women.

The trick is to offset your appearance against your age, and figure out when to stop dressing 'fresh' (with the innocence of youth) and start dressing 'classic' (for the beauty of age).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dress to be comfortable, not for what others will think. Well that's what I do anyway.

Advertisement