Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gold+ebay

• 09-12-2005 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

is it legal/illegal?

i am aware of the "not property but time invested argument"

has anyone had an experiences with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

against terms and conditions in any case

afaik it's not illegal in the UK, dunno bout other places.

no posting links to sites! have no probs with this thread being open if we're discussing the legalities or "in theory" but don't want to have any more gold spam links up here.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its a violation of the EULA and could get your account banned. I wouldn't risk it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

I guess there are so many arguments for an against it.

ah well. thanks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You'll never get caught so well worth it. When I reach 40 I might spend 10 yoyos on 100 gold so I can buy a mount. I don't have the time to farm that kind of gold.

Not used a gold exchange yet tho.

Inqui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

most half decent guilds will lend u the money np's:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I dont have the game installed any more so i cant check, but as far as i remember, the terms of use only covers the sale of in game items or cash, not the purchase of it. As to actual legality, i doubt it's against the laws of any country. Theres not a whole lot of point buying gold for anything other than a mount though, all the good loot is soulbound, and you can farm cash for stuff you might occasionally need to buy, like bags or tradeskill ingredients easily enough.

Edit : found it online
    Remember, at the outset of these Terms of Use, where we discussed how you were "licensed" the right to use World of Warcraft, and that your license was "limited"? Well, here is one of the more important areas where these license limitations come into effect. Note that Blizzard Entertainment either owns, or has exclusively licensed, all of the content which appears in World of Warcraft. Therefore, no one has the right to "sell" Blizzard Entertainment's content, except Blizzard Entertainment! So Blizzard Entertainment does not recognize any property claims outside of World of Warcraft or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything related to World of Warcraft. Accordingly, you may not sell items for "real" money or exchange items outside of World of Warcraft.
    from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html

Its pretty clear about not selling stuff, slightly more vague about buying though, although i suppose exchange would cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

ask drake for a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Drake already owes me 100 Gold...

......he's a robbing theiving bastad :)

Inqui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

buying gold isnt illegal, selling your character is illegal however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Caliden wrote:
    buying gold isnt illegal, selling your character is illegal however

can you back this up with some more info/proof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

abccormac wrote:
    Its pretty clear about not selling stuff, slightly more vague about buying though, although i suppose exchange would cover that.

Well in another MMORPG I have seen on ebay that you are buying "time it takes to generate the gold" and the gold is just free in game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Just saw this on the US boards:

It looks like they wont ban you, but if they ban a gold sellers account, they will take back the gold you bought from it along with the items you purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

You want to be careful who you buy it from if you do take that route. Alot of the sellers are Chinese sweat shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Provided you don't go crazy getting thousands of gold I don't think it would be a problem. I haven't seen or heard of people being banned for this in any serious way (hax are a different matter).

One of the WoW interviews suggested a possibility of Sony Stationexchange-like type system (http://eq2.stationexchange.com/) in the future, so they obviously don't have a big issue with it...

Advertisement