Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

space cadets... the great double hoax...

• 09-12-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

so it seems its all a hoax.... every one of them is an actor and its a big practical joke on the audience... some of the contestants have been in ads and some on other reality shows... the overacting as they arrived in the camp and the premature reaction of some of them as JV announced what they were about to undertake before they got on the plane are the first giveaways.... keep your eyes open for more...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

That would certainly turn the tables! That would be an excellent twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

ummm... well some of them are meant to be actors.. i dont think the show should end with, all of them were, yay... what an ending! whooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Its not wise to pi*s your audience off by making them feel like idiots.So i doubt thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Any source? Anything which backs it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

a lot of chatter on the offical site's message boards although most of the links to sources etc get removed by mods... you can find pictures of the curly scottish guy in a give blood ad and one of the girls was in a show called cruel summer 2 which was made by the same company as this one... and also by watching the show carefully you can see that the contestants reactions are a little over the top and also mis timed, as if they already know whats going to happen but aren't good enough actors to wait till the proper moment to react.. it is of course just a theory but one which makes this show a little more interesting again...
    in terms of pi$$ing the audience off well its a show about the gullibility of people and what better way to illustrate that than by taking in anyone who watches the show rather than just those involved.

• Advertisement

So feck all then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Maybe the dumbest people they could find happened to be actors too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Maybe the dumbest people they could find happened to be actors too?

Kind of like a Joey fan club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

a lot of chatter on the offical site's message boards although most of the links to sources etc get removed by mods... you can find pictures of the curly scottish guy in a give blood ad and one of the girls was in a show called cruel summer 2 which was made by the same company as this one... and also by watching the show carefully you can see that the contestants reactions are a little over the top and also mis timed, as if they already know whats going to happen but aren't good enough actors to wait till the proper moment to react.. it is of course just a theory but one which makes this show a little more interesting again...
    in terms of pi$$ing the audience off well its a show about the gullibility of people and what better way to illustrate that than by taking in anyone who watches the show rather than just those involved.

No sorry you're wrong.

They're just desperate to be on telly. Theres an article in todays guardian about people who sign up with talent agencys whose only claim is to get you on telly.

Most reality shows use these agencys to get their "cast" shows like "wife swap" "trisha" The kenyan nurse from last years big brother used one for example.

The journalist signed up with one of these agencies, got asked to do a bunch of reality shows and a couple of adverts.

So there you have it, they're not actors they're just gagging to get on telly.

C'mon it would be a pretty p*ss poor hoax to go "ha ha how you think that they think they're in space, but in fact they're all actors, ha ha aren't you all dumb"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It'd be a sh!te twist if it was a double-hoax. The supposed hoax is a vey good one as is. I can't wait to see these dopes 'in space'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Funny this thread started, as I was thinking about it being a double hoax already. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

the guy with the big hair was in a give blood ad, it was on during the break of the show

p~b wrote:
    the guy with the big hair was in a give blood ad, it was on during the break of the show
    Really? Playing an ad with the same actor in it as the show is a big no-no in the UK. Are you sure it was him?

Also, I CAN'T stand that guy. Or the twirp with the greasy hair. Or any of them really. Watching such a bunch of dum-dums is shockingly mind numbing. Much more so than normal tv. Reality show idea to the max i suppose. Just thought i'd let that out. I feel much better now :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Maybe it's a triple hoax. They're all really actors, but they're ACTUALLY going to get sent into space. The fame hungry twats.

corblimey wrote:
    Maybe it's a triple hoax. They're all really actors, but they're ACTUALLY going to get sent into space. The fame hungry twats.
    And leave them there? I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

send them all in a rocket into the sun.... hooray!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

byte wrote:
    Funny this thread started, as I was thinking about it being a double hoax already. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.
    I was thinking this too the other night strangely enough - but would Channel 4 be that smart though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I know one thing for sure, it's ****.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I caught the repeat on More 4 Sunday afternoon and was thinking the same thing. It's probably some social study on the stupidity of people who watch 'Reality' t.v. programs on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jip wrote:
    I caught the repeat on More 4 Sunday afternoon and was thinking the same thing. It's probably some social study on the stupidity of people who watch 'Reality' t.v. programs on a regular basis.

Agreed,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I just say Astrid, mmmmmmmmmm! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's probably some social study on the stupidity of people who watch 'Reality' t.v. programs on a regular basis.
    If anything I think this show is being watched by people who detest Reality Tv.
    I hate reality TV but I am watching this show as it is going to humiliate the fameseeking plebs who want to be famous by any means possible.
    This show is not Reality TV.
    It has no aspects of reality,that is the beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I watched a bit of it this evening... they seem far too dimwitted and dull to be planted there.. the producers seem to be trying their hardest to make the show interesting.

I REALLY wish they were actors though... as thinking there are people walking around who are that stupid really makes me worry about the future of humanity.

When taking off for space is'nt there a bit of business with thrust and 17,500 miles an hour? I can't belive they did'nt feel something was amiss.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    When taking off for space is'nt there a bit of business with thrust and 17,500 miles an hour? I can't belive they did'nt feel something was amiss.

Mike.
    Yeah... even taking off in a plane there is a good deal of g-force and it is hard to raise your body forward from the seat with out putting effort into it.. They were swinging their arms all over the cabin.

Well, to be honest if they swallow the line about there being "70% gravity in a near earth orbit, the remaining 30% being made up by the Artificial Gravity Generators" then they'll swallow anything. Even a 'take-off' like that uneventful one.

I'd like to see them scare the sh!t out of them with some tale about burning up on re-entry or something, anything to animate them a little!!

I was watching a bit the other day and the guy with the Russian accent was telling one of them that recent studies have shown that smoking is good for you and stops several diseases.

Judging by what Johnny Vaughan said last night the programme makers are going to do thier best to get the 'crew' to discover the hoax for themselves bit-by-bit.

I guess it would be cruel to whip the curtain away! "Ta-darrrrrrrrrrr!" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Think the double hoax is pretty much true.. one of the non-actors is currently acting in an add running on ... wait for it ... channel 4 !!!

Idiots

Its in some add about blood donors... and he is prominantly featured in it...

Tried to watch this program... far too painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

So there's 3 'real' people and 1 actor, right? Think it would have been a funnier show to actually send them into space with the actor thinking all along that they were in a shed in Surrey.

robbie1876 wrote:
    So there's 3 'real' people and 1 actor, right? Think it would have been a funnier show to actually send them into space with the actor thinking all along that they were in a shed in Surrey.
    Well.. the two pilots of the ship are actors as well. So it's really 3 actors.

Well.. the two pilots of the ship are actors as well
    :eek: Actors??? But who's gonna land the....oh yeah, almost forgot :D

They should show them a massive meteorite slamming into crapscom Krimsk on the big simulator screen :D then tell them there's no way to get home and they'll have to wait until the oxygen runs out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Maybe it's a double double double triple hoax with a caramel and nougat centre...... delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I reckon its the patented double triple hoax where you think the con is coming up but in reality its not even that imaginative or interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If it was a double hoax I could see the funny side of it. :)

However in the show itself they checked with every entrants closest person they trusted and told them the whole premise of the show to see if they could take the joke.

Alienating your audience, especially those who watch reality TV to begin with isn't going to bode well for later. If its shown to be a prank then people will be thinking the same about BB when it comes out.

Although the Double Hoax itself could be a hoax to see if people will believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

send them all in a rocket into the sun.... hooray!!
    But they'd burn up if they done that! Oh wait.....they could send them at night!!
    mike65 wrote:
    Judging by what Johnny Vaughan said last night the programme makers are going to do thier best to get the 'crew' to discover the hoax for themselves bit-by-bit.

I guess it would be cruel to whip the curtain away! "Ta-darrrrrrrrrrr!"

Mike.
    I've only watched one show and I've found it to be quite boring.

The one that I saw was were JV had close relatives of the Low I.Q.'ers on and he seemed quite concerned about the "Space Travellers" giving JV a good thumping when they found out it was a hoax.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to let the 'tards try to find out for themselves. Although if that's the case we're in for a very long running show!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They should fabricate some sort of crisis in space and see how they cope...

They are only in space for 5 days, so the hoax will be revealed over the weekend (or sooner if one of them cops it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It is quite possibly the most boring show ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tusky wrote:
    It is quite possibly the most boring show ever.
    I started the first thread for SC here and was really looking forward to it.
    TBH, I lost interest just into the 2nd night.
    I suppose I should have known what to expect.
    Ratings in the UK started at 2.6m and are averaging 2m... well below what C4 expected I'd imagine.
    It had so much potential, but they've done very little with it IMO.
    I couldnt be bothered watching the end now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

apparently it dropped to 1.2 millions viewers on tuesday ... so when do they head up into space?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What were the numbers like for that 'stay awake' show they had a couple of years ago? Better/worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Pigman II wrote:
    What were the numbers like for that 'stay awake' show they had a couple of years ago? Better/worse?
    oh god that was sh1te

Cactus Col wrote:
    apparently it dropped to 1.2 millions viewers on tuesday ... so when do they head up into space?
    They've been in "space" since monday.... it's really, really boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah did you see the guy last night - OMG my apple is still white - if this was earth it would be black etc etc..some of them are going to take it better than others...if they aren't all actors i mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ok. it's not a double hoax. the thought did cross my mind for all of 5 seconds and then i came to my senses.
    the pilots are actors. the rest of them are just idiots trying to get their 15 minutes.
    what cracked me up was the song that woke them up. duran duran's planet earth.

it's the same as any reality show. just a bunch of wannabe's trying to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It had its moments but its basically a trainwreck. The only thing keeping me interested in the highlights was to see how stupid they could be.

Russian Actor: Did you have good sleep?
    Girl: Yes
    Russian Actor: Did you have any Dreams?
    Girl: No, I didn't.
    Russian Actor: [serious] There are no dreams in space!
    Two of them wondering out loud if they could have sex in the room, the girl pointing out it is soundproof and you can't hear anything in space anyway.
    Telling them the ship has gravity plating to help stop people floating around. US actor mentions "It is just as well as it would be very messy in here if you peed".
    Giving them a phrase to easily remember the planets, the last word being X-Ray. The other actor says "Whats the X for", the other actor thought fast though and said Pluto was being downgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Doubt enough people are watching it to give a fúck what kind of a hoax it is.

So thats that. No double bluff, no fights! Just 3 nice gullible people who pocketed 25 grand and get a visit to Star City....well thats what they promised!

Mike.

The looks on their faces while being shown the clips in the capsule was quite funny. Still, as mike said, they are coming out pretty well out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Clips in the capsule? That was the biggest letdown for me.

What should have been done was to have the door explode open and a giant fan blowing air in at them. Then a lot of jeering and laughing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement