Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug takers = Supporting Gang Land Ireland?

Options
  • 09-12-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Minister McDowell has stated that he blams Drug takers for Gang Land Ireland. And that Drug takers are supporting murders according to one of the Tabloids. (I generally don't read tabloids, and in true tabloid readship I only read the headline).

A. Did he actually say this?

B. Should he legalise some Drug sales and use? i.e. Cannabis.

Personally if drug sales and use were controlled we would be better off.

In one of the Local Rages they have a page dedicated to Court proceedings 10 out of 12 were in relation to cannabis use. Is it not a waste of court time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The OP wrote:
    Is it not a waste of court time?

it is in my opinion, tbh, but I think you'll find this splits opinion. I think that Cannabis is a gateway drug because it's lumped in with all the chemical drugs. Kids hear horror stories all thier lives about drugs in general, and then one of the gang tries pot, eats loads and giggles for hours. He tells his mates "its cool, no problems", they all try it, and assume that, because hash is 'ok', probably speed, e, acid etc are ok - and they guy that got the hash will probably know a dealer, who they now trust more than the authority figures who told them hash would kill them. Whatever about legalising drugs in general, imo hash really needs to be treated differently than other "harder" drugs, because it is different.

All my own opinion, I know others will be diametrically opposed to what I've just said. fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He did say it and he is correct.

But it's a simplistic cop out.

Keeping drugs illegal is also responsible for drug gangs. etc etc.

The costs on society of trying (and failing) to prohibit cannabis are far greater than the costs of on society of legalising it. Keeping it illegal doesn't make sense even from a pragmatic point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Interesting that the device in the car at the centre of the M50 disruption last night seems to have been a continuity IRA bomb to be aimed at some hood in the drugs world.

The battle for the high moral ground goes on.:rolleyes:

It's Dr. Headbutt

I might have been unclear, sorry. Law should be decided in terms of societal welfare(in the economic sense). If it does not benefit society to have that law in place, it should go.

Even excluding that there a case in terms of natural rights could be made for the legalisation of cannabis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Interesting that the device in the car at the centre of the M50 disruption last night seems to have been a continuity IRA bomb to be aimed at some hood in the drugs world.

Minister McDowell will write something in the Times about that or else go on Pat Kenny. :D
    Mr Headbutt, are you trying to imply that laws of a state should be decided by the expense required to keep those laws in place?

They aren't apporaitely funding these laws anyway. If they want the laws then spend the money don't just use Drugs as a sound bite.
    25% of those progressed to cocaine and 25% of those to Heroin and 75% of those to prison or early deaths?

But sure Alcohol and Taboc are gateway drugs too. If your to go down that road. Let face Cigarettes and Beer are as illegal to a 16 year old as cannibis and other HARDER drugs

tortega wrote:
    Cannabis is a gate way drug to hell. Dark forces are at play when one tampers which such substances. Surely it wouldn't be good for societal (that even a word) welfare if everyone smoked cannabis and in turn, 25% of those progressed to cocaine and 25% of those to Heroin and 75% of those to prison or early deaths?

http://www.answers.com/societal&r=67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

they either take this activity out of the criminals hands and regulate it :D , or else let them kill each other and whoever else gets in the way be it a garda or passerby.

unfortunately i think the latter will happen before they make a move

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Elmo wrote:
    A. Did he actually say this?
    Dunno, but nothing from him surprises me.
    Elmo wrote:
    B. Should he legalise some Drug sales and use? i.e. Cannabis.

Personally if drug sales and use were controlled we would be better off.

In one of the Local Rages they have a page dedicated to Court proceedings 10 out of 12 were in relation to cannabis use. Is it not a waste of court time?
    Solving the drugs issue is more complex than a simple yes or no.
    It is true that a lot of crime is drug related as users need to raise money to be able to buy. Also when the gardai make seizures, it reduces the supply and therefore the users need to steal more to get more money to be able to buy.
    If drug use was legally controlled then you are removing the control from the dealers [and at the same time making drug use safer for users].
    Another point is that what the users steal neds to be sold. Who buys this? Are the people who call to my door every 2nd day selling things from toilet rolls to DVDs to couches selling stolen or counterfeit goods? Are these sellers somehow involved in organised crime? Its for this reason that I will never buy something that I believe to be stolen!

However, legalising drugs is not an option for a politician due to electoral fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drug takers = Supporting Gang Land Ireland

The answer must be yes as they are the suppliers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

caimin wrote:
    they all try it, and assume that, because hash is 'ok', probably speed, e, acid etc are ok

And whose fault is that? Maybe if people such as McDowell didn't have such comically ridiculous overreactions towards drugs, lumping cannabis in with heroin and cocaine as 'all evil drugs', maybe the curious youth of Ireland wouldn't feel lied to so much.
    caimin wrote:
    who they now trust more than the authority figures who told them hash would kill them

Spot on, this (IMO) why it's so common to see people experimenting with other recreational drugs after discovering cannabis. If people took a more responsible and realistic approach to classifying illegal drugs to adolescents, explaining that there is indeed a difference between cannabis and ecstasy for example, then maybe trying one recreational drug wouldn't feel like such a door-opening experience leading to further curiosity to other inappropriately scandalized drugs. The government is crying wolf without good reason, and young people don't believe them anymore.
    dublindude wrote:
    it's a simplistic cop out.

Keeping drugs illegal is also responsible for drug gangs. etc etc.

Exactly. If the only place people can buy drugs is from drug gangs, then of course they're supporting drug gangs. QED. If the government took a more responsible approach to e.g. cannabis, instead of the current bury-head-in-sand approach, this wouldn't be such a problem. McDowell is a dinosaur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭w66w66

Ian o'Dothery of the Irish independent claimed that if you read in between the lines about what McDowell recently said about drug user's supporting criminal gangs, you will see he was possibly advocating legalisation.

having said that, i have no proof that this is true.

Well then don't say it.

What is the % of alcholics in Ireland?
    What is the % of Drug Addicts in Ireland?
    however, you can't have the attitude, drugs are bad, but so is drink, but because drink is legal one must allow drugs.

Why not?

Again teenagers are the most at risk of actually using drugs, for the majority of teenagers Drink, Cigerettes and Drugs are equally as illegal. Therefore with in teenage cluture their must be a follow on from Beer to Smokes to Canabis to Heroin. Perhaps not in that order.
    Ian o'Dothery of the Irish independent claimed that if you read in between the lines about what McDowell recently said about drug user's supporting criminal gangs, you will see he was possibly advocating legalisation.

Well then why not just come out and say that legalisation needs to be changed. Sure McDowell says what he thinks. Of course only when it useful to him politically.

Most shops that sell booze are unlikely to be selling e tablets. Maybe the reason cannabis is a gateway drug is because it is illegal.

w66w66 wrote:

Does Ian O'Doherty remind anyone else of a fat over-opinionated taxi driver?

Most shops that sell booze are unlikely to be selling e tablets.

I was sure thats were you got e's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Prohibition simply does not work. When they banned alcohol in America
    back in the 30s the result was that the gangsters got rich and people
    kept boozing. People wanted to drink and banning alcohol didn't stop
    them.

Banning drugs now has had the same effect. The gangsters are making
    a fortune and people are still taking drugs. Lots of people want to take
    drugs - that's a simple fact! Having it illegal never has and never will stop them.

It is estimated that about 25% of folks in the UK do cocaine on a
    regular basis. if 1/4 of the population want to do it then it it is
    madness to try to stop them!

It is time to end prohibition - it never worked and it is not working now.

[Quote:]
    Well then why not just come out and say that legalisation needs to be changed. Sure McDowell says what he thinks. Of course only when it useful to him politically.

Because advocating the de-criminalising of drugs is politicaly taboo, you might think its common sense but the vast majority of housewives and golf club members would be horrified, and they are the ones who vote!

Mike.

Because advocating the de-criminalising of drugs is politicaly taboo, you might think its common sense but the vast majority of housewives and golf club members would be horrified, and they are the ones who vote!

That was my point. Thanks.

Anyone have a copy of what he said?

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Why do you go to the effort of typing "Mike." out after every post ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tortega wrote:
    indeed, i've never met a cannabis user who doesnt drink alcohol or a heroin addict who doesn't drink beer. However, the % of alcohol users (and abusers) what go on to abuse other drugs is low compared to that of cannabis users who go on to abuse other drugs.

having said that, i have no proof that this is true.

however, you can't have the attitude, drugs are bad, but so is drink, but because drink is legal one must allow drugs. I'd be in favour of proabition.

With respect, if you don't have figures, don't quote your assumptions. I know the point you are trying to make, but I could pick a million holes in your argument without really trying.

Are you saying you'd be in favour of a total ban on alcohol and tobacco?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cormhag

the truth is that i, or my friends may never have tried other drugs if we did not know dealers. we knew dealers from cannabis. if you had to go to a dealer to get yer drink the likelyhood is that you would be tempted to buy another drug as well. having said that, the only drug that seems to have caused problems for my friends is alcohal.

Why do you go to the effort of typing "Mike." out after every post ?

Sheer flipping habit!

Mike. oops.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

kbannon wrote:
    However, legalising drugs is not an option for a politician due to electoral fears.

But this will changes as the electoral demographics change.The majority of people under the age of 30 will have at least tried hash, with the death of the
    old relible votes who are 60 plus a lot of things will start to change.
    A push to legalise canabis could just be the thing to get more 'young' people
    registered to vote and out lobbying, that is if it is headed by someone sensible.

Legalising and taxing cannabis will hit the gangs where it hurts and bring in more
    revenue. It would be a good cash crop for a lot of farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

But if you legalise cannabis you take away a big source of cash from drug dealers. Cash which is useful in funding the more capital intensive cocaine "business". By allowing drug dealers to cash in on the black market for cannabis, the government could be said to be supporting gang land ireland. The goverment has proved to be nearly completely ineffective at stopping criminals from supplying this black market, so why no just get rid of the "black" element of the of the market. The "black" element being the element which allows the criminals exist in and control the market in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Can't a person grow cannabis for personal use with involving these evil 'drug gangs'?

No, it's against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You know, as someone who started smoking hash at age 11 (16 years ago), and who is reasonably experienced with drugs (again, in my teens) I want to say this -

The phrase "xxxxxxxx is a gateway drug" pisses me off.

WTF is this bull****? It's like another marketing phrase.

Why is there such a thing as a gateway drug?

When I buy Adidas shoes will I eventually upgrade to Nike?
    When I buy an Oasis CD will I eventually upgrade to the Beatles?
    When I start drinking beer will I eventually upgrade to Poitin?

It's a totally nonsense phrase used by people with no clue.

Gateway drugs. What bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sico wrote:
    And whose fault is that? Maybe if people such as McDowell didn't have such comically ridiculous overreactions towards drugs, lumping cannabis in with heroin and cocaine as 'all evil drugs', maybe the curious youth of Ireland wouldn't feel lied to so much.

Spot on, this (IMO) why it's so common to see people experimenting with other recreational drugs after discovering cannabis. If people took a more responsible and realistic approach to classifying illegal drugs to adolescents, explaining that there is indeed a difference between cannabis and ecstasy for example, then maybe trying one recreational drug wouldn't feel like such a door-opening experience leading to further curiosity to other inappropriately scandalized drugs. The government is crying wolf without good reason, and young people don't believe them anymore.

Exactly. If the only place people can buy drugs is from drug gangs, then of course they're supporting drug gangs. QED. If the government took a more responsible approach to e.g. cannabis, instead of the current bury-head-in-sand approach, this wouldn't be such a problem. McDowell is a dinosaur.

Yeah, this guy's got it :)

I'm sure the majority of hash users don't particularly want to use harder drugs, and they don't particularly want to fund criminal gangs -- but unfortunately the government's archaic laws mean that they don't have a choice. I think it's about time the country moved forward and legalised cannabis.

Advertisement