Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug takers = Supporting Gang Land Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

a higher % of legal drug users die from their drug use than illegal drug users, thats %, not figures. In fact a higher % of alcohol OR nicotine users die than the % all of the illegal drug users combined.

So then does the precentage increase if we legalise drug use?

I would say 90% of the population drink. 50% smoke (IMO, but have been told it is alot less, I don't beleive it).

What precentage of Drinkers die from Drink related illnesses?
    What percentage of Heroin users die from heroin related illnesses?
    What percentage of Canabis users die from canabis related illnesses?

Also they didn't state % so they where miss informing their audience anyway.
    If the government made tobacco illegal then people would be supporting the gangs who would take up trading that. In fact the governments high tobacco tax already leads to tobacco crime, theft of shops and trucks and smuggling.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Elmo wrote:
    So then does the precentage increase if we legalise drug use?
    If heroin was legalised I would expect the % of user deaths per year to drop, most heroin deaths are caused by contaminants. Part of the reason alcohol prohibition was repealed was the health effects of people drinking contaminated alcohol, or industrial alcohol, also people turned to harder easy to smuggle drugs like heroin. The % of the population who use heroin would probably increase, but due to better product the actual number of deaths may drop. e.g. say there are 1000 users and 10 die per year, if legalised you may have 2000 users but only 5 may die per year due to better product. Heroin is a pretty safe drug if used correctly (addiction aside, I am talking of deaths).

Elmo wrote:
    What precentage of Drinkers die from Drink related illnesses?
    What percentage of Heroin users die from heroin related illnesses?
    What percentage of Canabis users die from canabis related illnesses?
    That was what I was getting at, I have seen WHO reports on it. I was talking about % user deaths per year. So if there are 1,000,000 drinkers and 1,000 heroin users then there are more than 1000 alcohol deaths for every single heroin death. What I was saying before was if you added the individual % user deaths for all illegal drugs combined then alcohol or tobacco would still have a higher % death rate.

That was what I was getting at, I have seen WHO reports on it

I know I was asking a question, what are the % of users that die?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Most shops that sell booze are unlikely to be selling e tablets. Maybe the reason cannabis is a gateway drug is because it is illegal.

And my fear would be that legalising Cannabis and taking it out of the current dealers domain wouldn't solve anything. Instead acceptance levels and classes of "bad" would escalate, so that Cocaine would be the new taboo that you can get from the local guy on the corner (though I know its fast becoming like that anyway).

Minister McDowells speech to the IPRT(Irish Penal Reform Trust)

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A02CF/vWeb/pcJUSQ6JCKSB-en

The IPRT's Responce

http://www.iprt.ie/press/1609

• Advertisement
Advertisement