Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happend to the local area MAN's

• 09-12-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Remember when we put up with a month of digging up the streets in Clonmel, Kilkenny, Dungarvan etc ??

So they could lay this sooper dooper fiber optic MAN??

Well at this point, the phone numbers dont work, and the emails bounce...

Another waste of money?

Anyone heard any different?

Man, if anyone of us worked the way ministers do, we be f##ked out of our jobs quick smart....

Fed fan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Dont you mean WAN's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they are called VAN s in them places :D

In cities they are called MAN s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They are still used. I think mainly by satelite providers but the crowd who run them are trying to get more people to use them and trying to join them all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Thats right all those fibre rings are not connected yet are they , what a pile of pish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are used quite a lot actually but not to supply direct to the customer, there would be no Smart or Magnet LLU strategy without the MANs and the ESB fibre ring .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They are used quite a lot actually but not to supply direct to the customer, there would be no Smart or Magnet LLU strategy without the MANs and the ESB fibre ring .

I didn't know Smart and Magnet were using the MANs. NTL use the ESB fibre also if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

There you go
    Magnet News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

paulm17781 wrote:
    I didn't know Smart and Magnet were using the MANs. NTL use the ESB fibre also if I'm not mistaken.

Magnet are definitely using them and there's an advertising campaign just started selling connection to the MAN to large corporate companies.

They are up and running, just not a lot of interest in companies selling their services to residential customers over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

The MAM's are used everyday. and are linked to each other by the ESB fibre network, also by other national fibre networks, i.e CIE,(railroad) eircom, (under the roads),and again ESB.

Check out enet.ie they manage the MAM's esbtelecom.ie are the fibre rings and masts, which some are connected the MAM.

Smart telecom is on some MAM's they can provide up to an OC3 or T4 (272Mbits) fibre connection.
    I have priced them before and it worked out at 1Mbit leased line 1:1 @ €400.
    very price!!

Unfortunately if the MAM happens to pass by your house and you want to connect to it there has to be a POP (point of presence) near by to connect into it.

All the MAM's provide are data transport up to Dublin. And then you have to pay another company to link you into the Internet; it’s very very pricy like starting at €35k per annum for 50Mbit bandwidth, not forgetting a link to the Internet up in Dublin about another €6500 to €8000 for 10Mbit of bandwidth.

These prices would have to seriously go down just for the cost of broadband to drop.

My mam doesn't do any of that. :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

"Link to the Internet up in Dublin" I dont think that the only link to the Internet lies in Dublin, AFAIK there is one in Waterford that is located somewhere in the Industrial estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

paulm17781 wrote:
    My mam doesn't do any of that. :D:p
    LOL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

The MAM's are used everyday. and are linked to each other by the ESB fibre network, also by other national fibre networks, i.e CIE,(railroad) eircom, (under the roads),and again ESB.

Check out enet.ie they manage the MAM's esbtelecom.ie are the fibre rings and masts, which some are connected the MAM.

Smart telecom is on some MAM's they can provide up to an OC3 or T4 (272Mbits) fibre connection.
    I have priced them before and it worked out at 1Mbit leased line 1:1 @ €400.
    very price!!

Unfortunately if the MAM happens to pass by your house and you want to connect to it there has to be a POP (point of presence) near by to connect into it.

All the MAM's provide are data transport up to Dublin. And then you have to pay another company to link you into the Internet; it’s very very pricy like starting at €35k per annum for 50Mbit bandwidth, not forgetting a link to the Internet up in Dublin about another €6500 to €8000 for 10Mbit of bandwidth.

These prices would have to seriously go down just for the cost of broadband to drop.

Not Really. If I get you right.

35000 for 50 Mb bandwith
    6500 x 5 for 50Mb connected to net
    24:1 Contention ratio
    2Mb/s Speed for each person
    12 Months in a year (Seriously)

Then

(35000 + (6500 * 5)) / ((50 / 2) * 24) / 12 = 9.375

So €9.38 per person per month would cover it. €4.69 for 1Mb/s

Advertisement