Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from IBB finance department to increase charges

• 09-12-2005 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just received a call from Paula in the finance department telling me that I've been underpaying for the service for the last 12 months. Clearly something is wrong and the keyword in the first sentence is service!

But apart from that, when I signed up, I took out a contract for the 512K service, it's not my fault that they gave me the faster equipment and 1MB speed, so to say that I've been underpaying is untrue. I'm paying the correct price for the service I requested.

Depsite that she then explained to me that I've been running at 2MB since last October, I had to correct her on that too, what with no service at all last weekend and dial-up comparible speeds since, and it's not my first time to tell them so. Last time I dealt with service it took nearly a full four weeks to get it fixed.

So, I explained to Paula that she could send me her details in writing after which I'll review the document, and respond back in writing attaching my original documentation requesting the 512Kb service.

I had to laugh when she told me that I could elect to have my service downgraded!! haha, what would that be like? Carrier Pigeons?

I'm very peed off right now, I am so close to telling them where to put their 'service' but I'm also determined not to get a home phone line and pay rental.

Anyone else get a call like this?

Cheers
    Howard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Not yet but when they do i`ll be ready. I`ll be looking for my refunds. I signed up for the 1 meg this time last year and got uped to 2 meg so they may well ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I also signed up for 1mb and then got 2mb after Eircon upgraded their exchanges to 1mb but I got a letter telling me it was a free upgrade and everyone on 1mb would get 2mb soon.

I think I still have the letter somewhere, I'll have a look.

/Kone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

but sure youd have a case, because afterall id say you wernt getting your full speeds.
    Maybe IBB is going down in finances and their quick way of getting money is to ring up people they reckon got speeds they shouldnt of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The most they can charge you for the service specified in your contract. You as the customer cannot be expected to realise that you are getting a faster service or pay for their error.

I'd go along with what sparky-s is saying and suggest that you watch your account for transfers. They are probably trying to get customers to agree to paying them so that they can take the money from the push overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Give them a ticket number and advise them that their issue will be dealt with in rotation.

Then just ignore them. Configure your email client so that any future emails they send you get auto-deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Ask for a refund for all the time your speed was below 512 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

JimmySmith wrote:
    Ask for a refund for all the time your speed was below 512 :)

Or for all the working time you lost due to their sh1tty service... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

originaly posted by hshortt
    But apart from that, when I signed up, I took out a contract for the 512K service, it's not my fault that they gave me the faster equipment and 1MB speed, so to say that I've been underpaying is untrue. I'm paying the correct price for the service I requested.
    Did you know you got "faster equipment and a 1 mb speed" when it arrived on the first day? You seem to have realised this pretty quickly and seem to have some technical knowledge of broadband. Why didn't you return it immediately and correct the mistake there and then? Or was it that you thought you'd take advantage? no such thing as a free lunch my friend ;)

For starters, what's the name of the 512K package were you signed up to firstly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts guys.

Tomohawk. I'd say I'm qualified to talk about technology including internet access and methods of doing so, does that mean I should pay for something that's not in my contract? IBB have explained that it is in fact their problem but that they need to do something about it.

Whatever they provided above the service level I was expecting was done without me asking for it. Not sure I remember exactly the name of service, Breeze lite, or home. I'll be digging out my documentation for my formal reply to IBB, and am happy to let you know then. The cost of my service was 35 Euro including vat per month. Apparantly I'm on a 40 Euro per month service.

I'll also add that my connection speed is currently hovering between 22-25kbs, does this indicate 2Mb broadband speeds to you?

If I was actually getting a fair service I'd be more willing to discuss the charges and come to an agreeable solution, I'm not a push over and I'll stand my ground but I'm also not stupid enough to think I'll continue eating a free lunch. I am after all, paying for a 'service'.

The bottom line is this is their mistake, not mine. I'm not going to suffer because of it.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

hshortt wrote:
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts guys.

Tomohawk. I'd say I'm qualified to talk about technology including internet access and methods of doing so, does that mean I should pay for something that's not in my contract? IBB have explained that it is in fact their problem but that they need to do something about it.

Whatever they provided above the service level I was expecting was done without me asking for it. Not sure I remember exactly the name of service, Breeze lite, or home. I'll be digging out my documentation for my formal reply to IBB, and am happy to let you know then. The cost of my service was 35 Euro including vat per month. Apparantly I'm on a 40 Euro per month service.

I'll also add that my connection speed is currently hovering between 22-25kbs, does this indicate 2Mb broadband speeds to you?

If I was actually getting a fair service I'd be more willing to discuss the charges and come to an agreeable solution, I'm not a push over and I'll stand my ground but I'm also not stupid enough to think I'll continue eating a free lunch. I am after all, paying for a 'service'.

The bottom line is this is their mistake, not mine. I'm not going to suffer because of it.

Cheerio
    Howard

Here, Here,

You are 110% correct, The IBB shower of muppets have fecked up and under no circumstances should you or any other customer pay for that. After NTR had to repay the 2 million to the goverment, they are obviously attempting to re-coup the money by this scam :D lol

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it's IBB's problem if they gave too much. imagine if i bought sausages in superquinn/tesco and they put the wrong sticker on it and then called around to my house demanding payment. ibb made you an offer you accepted and then they chose to do over and above that - their problem my friend! enjoy that free lunch, would you like chips or boiled potatoes with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I signed up for BT Broadband today. Got fed up with Irish Broadband. As soon as the modem arrives I will be sending off a hand written letter to IBB to collect their mast.

I complained about the connection 2 months ago. They sent out someone to have a look. He did nothing and promised to move me to another mast, I was to receive a phone call. I did not get the call, and hence cancelled the direct debit. Still not phone call.
    They have been down twice in the last 2 weeks, one of the times I was in the middle of a certification exam, and had to spend 60 euros to repay for that exam.

Completely fed up with their shoddy service and I refuse to pay for the service anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Does anyone know if the Eircom first time phone line is still free to connect?

Thanks
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

hshortt wrote:
    Hi guys,

I've just ...

I had to laugh when she told me that I could elect to have my service downgraded!! haha, what would that be like? Carrier Pigeons?

...Cheers
    Howard

Can't remember what the act is but its something like "Unsolicited sales of goods and services act" unless you explicitly requested the upgrade or the increase in service you can not be charged with it. It's completly illegal what they are trying to do.

I am having issues with them myself however cancelling the direct debit means that I am waiting for them to come to me rather than visa versa.

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

hshortt wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Eircom first time phone line is still free to connect?

Thanks
    Howard
    Yes, until the end of December I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Give them a ticket number and advise them that their issue will be dealt with in rotation.

Then just ignore them. Configure your email client so that any future emails they send you get auto-deleted.
    :D:D:D Love it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

"I didn't know that, whats a 2 meg????!!11??!!!??"

Once and for all clearing you of any problems what so ever.
    Remember it's their fu*k up not yours.

On the 1MB to 2MB bit, the prices dropped and instead of giving everyone cheaper BB they just upped 1mb customer to 2mb for the same price since last summer. This was also around the same time they oversold what their network could handle and absolutly killed my lovely connection.

They may be the cheapest but they have YET to make a profit and they don't have the cash to support a propper support desk. I think the engineers are so demoralized at this stage they just don't care anymore.

I take pride in my workplace & I know if I was in support for this company I would have slit my wrists by now.

Advertisement