Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 gCéist

• 09-12-2005 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey lads,
    after hearing that the PS3 is going to have linux pre-installed on the HDD i am very curious.

Does anyone know or can comment on the following ?

1. Is this going to be a standard distro or something akin to ms media centre ? (i.e > Mythtv (with much more functonaloity) or ... what ? )

2. Isn't 256 mb of RAM (I realise its "fast" RAM) not too little to run a linux distro with any decent interface ? Gnome 2.10 is slow enough on my AMD 64 3400+ with a gig of RAM AND its Gentoo so it should be faster then other distros.

3. Is this going to be in essence a "Sony Linux" distro which won't allow you to do .. well anything you want :)

4. Is the PS3 now a gaming machine primarily or a home entertainment centre primarily ?

5. Anyone know if you will be able to record tv, write dvd's ?

6. Will you be able to run third party software ? i.e > Is sony going to allow or is it going to be possibe for Open Source projects to recompile their code to run on this system ? Such as Open source games ?

7. Is the PS3 in essence a high end PC ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

1. well ps2 runs off a *nix system as it is, using openGL etc. rumours are that ps3's linux system will be opened up a bit more (with firefox and such things) to make it more alluring to turn on

2. yes, but it's not really a PC. if it happens the idea is just to open it out a little. i imagine it'd be like the xbox360's dashboard... you click on the firefox logo and surf the internet etc. not a fully-fledged desktop idea

3. absolutely not, no.

4. from what i can tell, a gaming machine. certain "groups" of gamers are pissed off at the idea of consoles becoming media centers/PC's

5. dunno. writing dvd's may not happen. dunno much about it, but blu-ray's laser is smaller then dvd/cd's red-ray, so i'm not sure if it can physically write to dvd's (it can read them though, so i'm not sure)

6. judging by the psp, no

7. the architecture isn't x86 but basically, it's a high end pc in that it has a fat processor, gpu, ram, rom, bios and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I remember the first thing i read about it about two years ago was that it would have a dvd rewriter so you could record off tv.

Advertisement