Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 months post-break-up

• 09-12-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

About 5 months post break-up.

Have to say it still gets me down a lot.

Any hopeful advice?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tommyboo

hey, one of my mates is the very same, his brid went to america for the summer and he stayed faithful and she broke it off when she came home. oach! he's fairly gutted still.
    if you still miss them it means ye must.ve had something pretty special, but theres always more fish in the sea. i hate to sound soppy here but the best way to get over him/her is realising that its probably the feeling of having someone thats mad about you that your missing rather than the person!
    get me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DontKnowMuch

lololo wrote:
    About 5 months post break-up.

Have to say it still gets me down a lot.

Any hopeful advice?

cheers

That´s perfectly normal, mate.
    I strongly advise you to read the thread " I can´t get over her" in this very same forum. A lot of people, including myself, are going through the pain of a breakup. You will find some good advice there.

Best wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

god, dont read that thread. its depressing how many people cling on to someone after they are gone and refuse point blank to move on with their lives.

its hard to stop thinking about what you had, but thats what you have to do.
    whatever you do, get closure. if that means meeting up one last time and telling the person they rioned your life and that you hate them, then jesus, do it. if it means telling them they broke your heart, then do it. but you have go to let it go.

it fades in time.

hell, i had a crush on my first love for 2 years. and we finally went out and broke up a whole 2 months later,, it took me about 3 years to get over her.

looking back, i was a muppet. i had some sense of honour thing going on. that i had to remain true to her and her memory, and all sorts of crap that goes through your head. and everyone does it.

and it doesnt get easier everytime, but hopefully you learn from each relationship, and you make less mistakes until you finally find someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with.
    or not. who knows.
    were all different unfortunately. but time does heal all. just make sure you start getting on with your life, and stop thinking about the past. you wont get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

lololo youre not alone.

Although Im over her and have long since moved on, I still think of my first and only love, who dumped me all of 5 years ago. Im not ashamed of that. Ive learnt not to feel bitter towards her and I hope you wish your x the best in the future.

I dont think there is a way of making closure happen, but definatly the pain will ease over time, especially when you meet nice girls or get some random confidence-boosting snog.

Theres nothing wrong with being a bit too romantic, or feeling a bit sorry for yourself, but I suspect the sooner you take a fancy to someone else the better. Even though some people think Im the king of cynicism I do actually believe there are plenty of great girls in this country, and at least one for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Some people you just never fully get over, it is like the death of a loved one but at least they are still alive. My first boyfriend and I broke up great, we parted as friends and still are but the third guy that I dated (my first love) took over 5 years to even half get over (even though I only dated him for a week (but we had been friends for over a year), am still email friends with him but when I found out that he got engaged I was devastated, it is his birthday tomorrow and I still think about him now and it was over 8 years ago! Having said all this, I went into a long term relationship 3 weeks after the relationship with my first love ended. You have to move on, it is not easy but...

• Advertisement
Advertisement