Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban on referring to teams as 'us', 'we' ?

• 09-12-2005 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Can we have some sort of a ban on people on this board referring to professional sides as if they were a part of them.
    I am sick of reading
    We should win this one’
    ‘They beat us in the last round’
    ‘If we get so and so back we should win’ etc. etc.

It’s f**king annoying

And it’s even worse when posters do not make it clear who they support..
    E.g.
    OP: Liverpool v Utd is on this weekend, should be a good game………
    Reply : Yea we are going well the past few weeks, should be a make or break game ……

You’re not part of the team OK. You are just a fan or follower or whatever !!!!

The only place can see it being anyway remotely acceptable is when referring to national team.

Who’s with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I do not know if i am fully with you...

I think being a supporter of any team is being made feel part of that team. Being made to feel that there is somewhat of a bond that exists, when your team loses you feel like crap. When your team is winning you are on cloud nine.

How many people over the years have thought that their team lost today because they did not wear they jersey this morning? It is the same thing!

So personally this does not anger me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The only place can see it being anyway remotely acceptable is when referring to national team.

Why are you a professional footballer now ? Do you play for the national team ? Why is it ok for a supporter of Ireland to sayus while a supporter of liverpool is not allowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

seems a little stupid to ban it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Why are you a professional footballer now ? Do you play for the national team ? Why is it ok for a supporter of Ireland to sayus while a supporter of liverpool is not allowed ?

I agree that there is a contradiction there but the national team is a kinda identity thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The most ridiculous suggestion I've heard in a while

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

have to admit i have to kinda agree with benedict...but i'm an eircom league fan with a holier than thou attitude anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Can we have some sort of a ban on people on this board referring to professional sides as if they were a part of them.
    I am sick of reading
    We should win this one’

It’s f**king annoying

E.g.
    Reply : Yea we are going well the past few weeks, should be a make or break game ……

Who’s with me?

Hear the rotwiler GROWL, AAARRRRRHHHHH!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

benedict..get over it!
    who is to say that the people who refer to teams as "we" and "us" might actually be from that city?
    how about we ban people from following teams if they weren't born in that city.
    normally reading the thread title will give a good indication of what team someone is referring to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Roar wrote:
    have to admit i have to kinda agree with benedict...but i'm an eircom league fan with a holier than thou attitude anyway..

Bloody holier than thouers.. I live in England, do I get to call Ireland us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nobody is with you

You don't really understand how football fans think do you?
    You seem to get the idea behind national teams, because its part of an identity, so is following any football team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I am sick of reading
    We should win this one’

It’s f**king annoying

E.g.

Who’s with me?

ridiculous :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Calling a team us, and we always amuses me, but what gets me the most is when people refer to a friends team as ye, as if the guy plays for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I am sick of reading
    We should win this one’
    What about if one is a member of a football club? You are part of the club then in no uncertain terms.
    It’s f**king annoying
    So?
    How'd you work that out? Should a clubs board or manager in your opinion not be to refer to themselves 'we' either because they also don't line out on the Saturday?
    Why national only? It takes more time and effort to support a club than it does a country. In fact you don't have to do ANYTHING to become part of the 'we' National team other than to be born.
    Who’s with me?
    Hopefully no one.

I think you just have a chip on your shoulder about the EPL barstool brigade (which is good!) but you should have professed it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a tribal thing damn it!

As a rule try I to avoid too much "we" "us" but they slip in sometimes.

Only human.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

mike65 wrote:
    Its a tribal thing damn it!

As a rule try I to avoid too much "we" "us" but they slip in sometimes.

Only human.

Mike.
    Same as. I generally refer to Milan as "Milan" but the odd 'us' or 'we' does get in under the rader. It's different when I'm talking about Sligo Rovers though. ;)

So, nay to the OP's suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tis a tribal thing just some are a Man Called Horse in relation to their *chosen* tribe.

But sort of agree with OP but would prefer tagline or avatar of chosen club instead of a ban.

Like seriously who does Big Ears support?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think it's amusing to hear "holier than thou" quoted at a poster named after the Pope.

Maybe he's upset because you're all using the "Papal We". ;)

Thank you all for your reactions, I seriously do not think people can be banned from using Us and We, I just wanted to judge opinions.

I just find it annoying when people refer to teams that they may have only seen on TV or been to a game or two constantly refer to a team as ‘we and ‘us’ and even worse when they refer to others as ‘ye’ (Thanks ‘gimmick’)

I really have no problem with people from a city using it and obviously boards and management are entitled to use the terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Probably got on the forum the easy way following the recent bout of glasnost :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I really have no problem with people from a city using it and obviously boards and management are entitled to use the terms.
    What if you were an ex-board member who now lives in the surrounding suburbs of the city because you were retired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I only have a problem with it where its people who 'claim' to support a team. By 'claim' to support a team, I'm talking about the endless amount of people I've met, and sorry to single them out but United supporters especially, who claim they'd die for the team but can't name the starting 11.

In a few years though, I think all those people will be supporting Chelski anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It frustrates me too but I dont think it should be banned...

Lemlin wrote:
    I only have a problem with it where its people who 'claim' to support a team. By 'claim' to support a team, I'm talking about the endless amount of people I've met, and sorry to single them out but United supporters especially, who claim they'd die for the team but can't name the starting 11.

In a tribal sense of supporting your what was Sligos last starting 11 in a competive match ?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    In a tribal sense of supporting your what was Sligos last starting 11 in a competive match ?

kdjac

Haha, here we go on the Eircom League crap again. Let me begin, I am NOT from Sligo. I go to college there, and even then its only for my final year. I couldn't give a crap what Shelbourne's or Bohs' starting 11 is either, despite the fact that I lived in Dublin for three years.

As stated before, I grew up in Cavan. Where's my local team then? Monaghan United or Dundalk. Oh, I only have to do an hour and a half journey there and then the same journey back again to get to either of those. And who exactly was going to bring me when I was ten or so and couldn't drive?

I had one choice. To turn on the telly and watch the Premiership. Not all of us were lucky enough to grow up within travelling distance of an Eircom league team so leave your speeches about tribalness at the door please.

Lemlin wrote:
    Haha, here we go on the Eircom League crap again.

It was a question on the tribal sense of football, you can relax slightly. As the OP stated "us" and "we" and thats based on the idea of you support the club from the area you are in.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    It was a question on the tribal sense of football, you can relax slightly. As the OP stated "us" and "we" and thats based on the idea of you support the club from the area you are in.

kdjac

Yes, and based on your tribal sense, I'm in Cavan, where do I go then?

Perhaps I'm overreacting but I'm getting sick of Eircom League supporters on this board saying that people who support Premier League teams aren't proper soccer fans. Maybe it should be taken into account that some of us hadn't a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Perhaps I'm overreacting but I'm getting sick of Eircom League supporters on this board saying that people who support Premier League teams aren't proper soccer fans. Maybe it should be taken into account that some of us hadn't a choice.

Yeh well i'm sick of people who moan on about Man Utd fans who don't know the name of the team, when there is no man utd fan who uses this forum who is like that.

PHB wrote:
    Yeh well i'm sick of people who moan on about Man Utd fans who don't know the name of the team, when there is no man utd fan who uses this forum who is like that.

Check my post, I used the word "Met". And if you honestly believe that Man United don't have a majority of supporters, when compared to other clubs, who don't know a thing about the game in general, then you're in denial.

Its the cost of success. That's why I believe these people will soon move onto Chelski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Lemlin wrote:
    Check my post, I used the word "Met". And if you honestly believe that Man United don't have a majority of supporters, when compared to other clubs, who don't know a thing about the game in general, then you're in denial.

Its the cost of success. That's why I believe these people will soon move onto Chelski.

That is true. People will follow the most successful team so they can tell their mates that THEIR team won the league

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

weird post, never really thought of it, but I suppose if you support the same team year in year out it does become part of you. I cant see the problem. maybe you need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

seeing as im part of shamrock rovers and playing for on of their teams i guess i can actually refer to the hoops as we etc. lol,

Lemlin wrote:
    Haha, here we go on the Eircom League crap again.

Again? I just love this, whenever folk go on the defensive they seem to bring up the eL. Do you folk have a problem with people supporting their domestic league?
    Perhaps I'm overreacting

You are are.
    but I'm getting sick of Eircom League supporters on this board saying that people who support Premier League teams aren't proper soccer fans

Nonsense. Look at the eL fans on this board, and you will see that most can contribute to all sorts of topics, be it Irish, English, Spanish, Scottish, or whatever. Can the same be said of the 'non' eL fans?
    Maybe it should be taken into account that some of us hadn't a choice.

And, how indeed is one given a choice into supporting a team? Success? Geography? History? Politics?
    Yes, and based on your tribal sense, I'm in Cavan, where do I go then?

Did your being from Cavan influence your choice of support to anyone? Is the team you support further, and indeed, harder to get to than any Irish team???

Back to original point, us, we, ye - all nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

This is a totally off-the-wall suggestion! Off-the-wall and into-the-bin me thinks.
    Lemlin wrote:

Haha, they put a gun to your head did they? :p

Only joking, its a pointless argument really, you don't support an eL team - thats fair enough. I won't preach, just have a few questions.

To blame it on the fact that your local club is an hour and a half away is questionable, I don't think there are many places in Ireland that far away from an eL or First Division ground. I'm not having a go or accusing you of lying, please feel free to prove me wrong (i.e. - what part of Cavan are you from?). Its more likely that your parents didn't bring you to eL games, and that it wasn't covered much (if at all) by domestic television. Which is a totally understandable reason for not following it. There are hundreds of thousands of others in this exact situation in Ireland these days.

Plus there is the fact that the Premier League is easily accesible at home, is a much better marketed product, and certainly has a higher standard of football.
    Gimmick wrote:
    Did your being from Cavan influence your choice of support to anyone? Is the team you support further, and indeed, harder to get to than any Irish team???

Great point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

agreed recycle it up fishy

Originally posted by gimmick
    Again? I just love this, whenever folk go on the defensive they seem to bring up the eL. Do you folk have a problem with people supporting their domestic league?

Yes, great point here. Except I suggest you read the posts. The 'folk' here who brought up the Eircom league was Kjdac, not myself. I don't have a problem with it, I never referred to the Eircom League until I was questioned about it.
    Nonsense. Look at the eL fans on this board, and you will see that most can contribute to all sorts of topics, be it Irish, English, Spanish, Scottish, or whatever. Can the same be said of the 'non' eL fans?

Of couirse it can. The only nonsense is to say that people who don't support Eircom League teams don't know about football. Whether a person would prefer to watch a game between the likes of Bohs and Shamrock Rovers or Barcelona and Real Madrid is their own choice. I know which I'd pick.
    Originally Posted by gimmick
    And, how indeed is one given a choice into supporting a team? Success? Geography? History? Politics?

Geography I would think. Maybe if the FAI had sorted themselves out we'd have a decent national league with local teams for people. Just look at how GAA supporters support their local teams. I know if I'd had an EL team growing up when I was younger I would of went to watch them.

Nope, my being from Cavan didn't influence my decision, it didn't have the chance to. As stated, I had no local team.

Blackburn were actually easier to get to as you put it when I was growing up. Why? because I could flick on a TV and watch their matches. I couldn't do that with any EL team, could I?
    Originally posted by MrJoeSoap

Only joking, its a pointless argument really, you don't support an eL team - thats fair enough. I won't preach, just have a few questions.

To blame it on the fact that your local club is an hour and a half away is questionable, I don't think there are many places in Ireland that far away from an eL or First Division ground. I'm not having a go or accusing you of lying, please feel free to prove me wrong (i.e. - what part of Cavan are you from?). Its more likely that your parents didn't bring you to eL games, and that it wasn't covered much (if at all) by domestic television. Which is a totally understandable reason

I live beside Cavan town. Two hours in a bus to Dublin (or more) and about the same to Monaghan or Dundalk. If I had someone to bring me, it would of taken about an hour and a half. None of my family were in the position to travel for an hour and a half. So what choice had I but to watch the PL? You may not be preaching but others are. As I said above, they should take into consideration that not everyone lives within travelling distance of an Eircom League team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaC wrote:
    Like seriously who does Big Ears support?
    kdjac

Im a Newcastle fan who trys to stay away from the use of the word 'we' or 'us' simply because I know it annoys people . I am also a well wisher of Bray Wanderers but I wouldn't really call myself a fan of theirs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I am sick of reading
    We should win this one’

It’s f**king annoying

E.g.

Who’s with me?

we should have a ban because of your intolerance to other peoples referencing?

you know, thats just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

isn't this a really sh*te thread.

some fella(maybe girl) comes on and says he doesnt like the way we phrase how we support football teams.....and therefore would like to see people get banned

it then turns into a debate on "death to false football" and you are where you are born etc.

its threads like this which required the board to be changed to the current format of access nominations etc.

its going no where and will just escalate into a petty debate

The thread never suggests that we ban people from the board for using 'us' and 'we', it just suggest a ban on people those therms, there is a difference.
    I'd chage the thread title if I knew how, or could.
    As I said above , I just find it annoying.
    I also notice that it has just turned into the enivitable EL v eyerone else debate.
    I for one do not support teh EL but at the same time I do not support any other club team(s).
    The only teams I support are Republic of Ireland in soccer and Mayo in GAA. I sometimes find myself using 'us' and 'we' if both these circumstance from a sense of national identity with ROI and a local, tribal sense with Mayo.

What I can't understand how someone from a place like West Kerry for example can us thr same term whne refering to Blackburn Rovers or Lazio for example. And it's not that it just happens on Boards, it happens in everday conversation.

BTW for the few people who have questioned my right to be on this board I'd advise them to use the newly enabled 'Search' facility, you might be suprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This has been discussed before.

I try myself not to say "we" or "us" but sometimes I slip into the trap.
    Can understand why its annoying but get over it really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Wow, we have a guy who only supports a football team once every few months whinging about terms like "we" and "us". Maybe if you actually supported a football team weekly, went through the joy of winning weekly, the agony of losing weekly, you wouldnt ask stupid questions.

gimmick wrote:

You are are.

Back to original point, us, we, ye - all nonsense.

LOL, I have no recollection whatsoeevr of making the above post.

Is it possible that boards.ie could have a breathalyser for people before they make drunken, ranting posts??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I use we and us quite a bit and make no apologies for it. I,m a united supporter and until the Yank arrived I was shareholde, There are many other United supporters here in the same position. I feel that using we and us is perfectly acceptable.

I'm surprised it annoys anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

The Muppet wrote:
    I use we and us quite a bit and make no apologies for it. I,m a united supporter and until the Yank arrived I was shareholde, There are many other United supporters here in the same position. I feel that using we and us is perfectly acceptable.

I'm surprised it annoys anyone.

Another Utd fan with the same opinion I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Another Utd fan with the same opinion I'm afraid.

Care to elaborate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Muppet wrote:
    Care to elaborate ?

I'm pretty sure he just meant that he has the same opinion as the poster before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Season ticket holder at Spurs and I suffer from this from time to time.

Wouldn't ban it, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've been a Leeds fan for over 30 years. If I slip in the odd "we" it's because apart from my family, Leeds are probably the longest constant part of my life. Sometimes it's hard not to think in terms of "we" when you suffer the highs and lows (OK, mainly lows!) of supporting a team for that length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I thing its a ridiculous idea to ban people for this!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Banning is OTT but its laughable when Irish people refer to an english club as "we" or "us".

• Advertisement
Advertisement