Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunshop Reviews

Options
  • 08-12-2005 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

If I may just hi-jack this thread for a moment, the title fits my proposed subject.
    I'm sure a kind Mod will move it if necessary :D

Anyhow..........
    Does anyone else (and particularly the Mods, I suppose) think it might be a good idea to create a general 'gun shop' thread, so that we can give our thoughts and experiences of particular shops?
    I'm thinking of stuff like quantity and variety of stock, pricing, attitude of staff/owner, etc..
    For example, I like browsing in gun rooms, but not all shops will/can allow this. Guns shop stock tends to reflect the main interest of the owner, so there are places that are better for shotguns and places that are better for rifles, etc..
    Some places have good variety and pricing on ammunition, others don't.

I appreciate that gun shops get perhaps more than their fair share of 'tyre kickers' and they have to be careful about how much freedom of the premises they give strangers, so I'm not expecting to just walk in off the street and go straight into the gun room without establishing my bona-fides with the owner.
    I always carry my licences though, and I'll always buy a box or two of ammo in any new shop, just to show that I'm somewhat serious about this stuff.
    Using this method, I've compiled a little list of 'Good' places and 'Not so Good' places.
    The Good places are those where I can have a rummage through the gun room and the staff/owner are friendly and willing to have a chat without making me feel under any obligation to buy stuff.
    The Not so Good places are those who treat the contents of their gun room like the Third Secret of Fatima and/or where the staff/owner make you feel like you're an intruder and the sooner you're gone, the better they'll like it.
    Needless to say, the Not so Good places won't be getting any of my custom unless I'm truly desperate. Hasn't happened yet. :D

What do you guys 'n gals think? It might be a useful list to have. I'm not adverse to leaving extra time/mileage on a trip if I think there's an interesting shop to go to, but I've made big detours to find 'Not so Good' places over the years too. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

I'd like to see something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Yep Rovi, nice thought, would be helpful. S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i second that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Well since there's such a demand, why not just post it here?If the response is sufficient, it can be stickied if necessary.

It would be helpful if posters justify their reviews of shops - no use just saying "XX is crap", if they're crap say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, it's not a gunshop, but if we're putting up reviews, I'll put up Tom Watkins in the Trophy Gallery on North Frederick Street for prizes. He does the prizes for WTSC, DURC, CDPC and a fair few others and a nicer gentleman you won't meet; anyone who will tell you that a particular job is something he can't do well and then recommend one of his competitors to you who'll do a good job - that's someone worth keeping in the phone book. He's always had very, very good prices as well. We've been sourcing our prizes from him for the past decade or more in DURC, and he's just done a marvellous job with the WTSC medals. Well worth a chat to if you're looking for prizes for a shooting competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

great idea....but is there a chance of being sued for defamation if you slag off a shop or owner?

Anyway....Agree totally with being allowed to browse, and Stakelums in Kilkenny or Paul O'Hallorans in Tipp are two off the top of my head that will encourage it.

But a shop in Tallaght has the most unhelpful, surly staff I have ever met!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

yes those people in Tallaght are dreadfull, Scully in Athlone is well stocked and informative and very good at fairy stories! Trapper John in Roscommon is very friendly and keenly priced. Those people in Leixlip (Outdoor Hobby) are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

if they can sue you for stating the state of their shop you should be allowed to sue them for the bad service. Im pretty sure they cant freedom of speech and all that

Guy in kilkenny is an ejit thats the one in town guns are kept in a tiny closet and not treated well at all. I go to a lad that runs it out of his house (dont worry he's licenced) got good bit of room for guns prices are good but be warned he will try to sell you everything in the shop but hes grand good amount of guns

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Jeffers in Bandon is the best around Cork IMO.
    Fairly well stocked - allows you to view the gun room no problem.
    No pressure sales - at all.

Good prices for Ireland - but saying that I've got a few things that have been savagely over-priced - I'd say check prices on the net first.

Will order in what you want - you may have to follow things up though with a call or two.
    Fairly sexy new blond sales assistant - women handling and selling guns and ammo is always a turn on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Seeing as how I started this thread, I'd better add something to it! :D

(O.T.- In my defence, I've spent the last week giving my baby brother away to his lovely new wife, so I've been somewhat distracted. Normal service will now resume.)

Anyhow, Portlaoise Rod & Gun is one of the places that will let you into the gun room, accompanied if you're a stranger. Not the cheapest place in the world, but they have a pretty decent range of ammunition and 'stuff'.
    The owner is a clay pigeon/shotgun man so there are mostly shotguns in the gun room, but there are a decent number of rifles and airguns too.
    Pretty much all hunting rifles, nothing in target stuff.
    They also carry a lot of fishing kit.
    Only open in the evening, 7-10pm, Monday-Saturday.

• Advertisement

Best prices I've yet found for ammunition, and carries a very good range of calibres/loads.
    Sean likes his rifles and target shooting, so there's a great range of rifles (new and used), and lots of scopes and other goodies.
    Plenty of shotguns too, with a good range of competition/trap guns.
    Good selection of clothing and accessories.
    Free access to the gun room once you've established you're not a nutcase, and all the friendly chat you might want.

My favourite! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Portlaoise Rod & Gun

Top quality chips too, when yer there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Scully in Athlone has a pretty good selection

I've only been there once, and have no intention of going back.:(
    The young lady at the counter was pleasant enough, but didn't appear to know much about the items for sale, so there was a lot of calling to the bloke in the back room for instructions.
    The bloke in the back room eventually put in an appearance, and we played 'guess the contents of the gun room' for a while.

I suppose they get much more than their fair share of 'lads' who'd like to get a gun but who have no hope of persuading the local Super to issue them a licence (indeed, there were a couple of them there when I went in), so I can understand if they are a bit 'jaded' from dealing with this stuff constantly.
    I had, however, established my credentials as a legitimate shooter by buying a few flavours of ammunition and waving a handful of licences about, so I'd like to have been treated a bit more seriously.

Unless (for some reason I can't foresee at the moment) I'm nearby and need to buy ammunition, I won't be going back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

I have been dealing with Cecil and the long fella for the past three years and have to say service is superb. Friendly, knowledgeable and Gavin tells the odd lie or two.Having broken the odd gun or two and brought them back, had one complaint, had all fixed free of charge on the spot. Where do you get service like that. Wonder why they keep saying, here's that ejit comming in.??
    Full stock of firearms, no problem having a nosy in the stockroom, but have the bloody manners to ask first.
    Nothing is too much trouble for these guys although Gavin does go a little pink around the gills when I take liberties with his good nature on his pricing.
    Nuff said, excellant shop, wide range of sporting goods but do we have to pay for thon sick coffee outa the machine. yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

As there are now no gunshops in Limerick,I have to travel to either.
    Open Season in Nenagh,average selection,with a guess the contents of the gun room or order it from the catalouge attitude.Along with a I feel smartass attitude in the staff.
    Landers Tralee
    Since they moved to the new shop,parking is easier,getting around in the shop is easier.The gunroom are now a joy to inspect,except it is a one man entry with staff only.Deal with Tim directly,as some of them are clueless there.Trouble is since the move,the prices have skyrocketed.Will usually have somthing "wild" in the gun selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As there are now no gunshops in Limerick,I have to travel to either.
    Open Season in Nenagh,average selection,with a guess the contents of the gun room or order it from the catalouge attitude.Along with a I feel smartass attitude in the staff.
    Landers Tralee
    Since they moved to the new shop,parking is easier,getting around in the shop is easier.The gunroom are now a joy to inspect,except it is a one man entry with staff only.Deal with Tim directly,as some of them are clueless there.Trouble is since the move,the prices have skyrocketed.Will usually have somthing "wild" in the gun selection.

Isn't Steve's fishing and shooting store still open in Limerick on Denmark st.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

There's a gun store near Eniskellan , just over the border, I heard was the best for everything pistol. Anyone been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 froggie1

i see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Good man. Can you hear,taste,touch and smell as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Vegeta wrote:
    Isn't Steve's fishing and shooting store still open in Limerick on Denmark st.???

Yeah but he does ammo only.Usually 12ga and 22.Dont bother ordering from anything off him, he is hopelss,and more into fishing than shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

This is a very good gun shop with a wide range of new and second hand guns.
    Its is only opened for a few hours in the evenings but has always got customers. i would highly reccomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Pat Hayes Pet shop Mallow
    nice selection has no problem in browsing around and gaves good advice regaring laws and license application etc
    prices are dearer to rrp online but this is to b accepted really in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Outdoor hobby in Leixlip, were very helpful while shipping my rifle back from Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

very good selection of gear perhaps a bit pricee but you cant have everything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Was in Trapper Johns shop last Saturday. He built a new bigger shop recently - the new shop is by far the biggest I've been in. All guns are on racks behind the counter so theres no prob having a goo at everything. Seems to have loads of ammo and accessories too. Even has some pistol accessories even though pistols are practically non existent in that part of the country.

Paid a visit to Tallaght Rod and Gun a couple of years ago and was seriously disappointed.

The Gun Gallery in Drogheda is fine but they have no interest in pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Great service in this store, Have purchased everything I have with no problems. Nice selection of shotguns and large calabre rifles. My only problem is the lack of decent .22 rifles...Also cater for fishing, archery, horse riding and the like!

Great place:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 marku-allen

tallaght rod and gun, went in to purchase a new shotgun, but the owner is so grumpy and has no patience to deal with clients(the last owner btw was a gentleman) that i wont even go to get ammunition anymore . the guy has an attitude problem......he should leave it at home !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Anyone looking for kit in Limerick could do worse than visit Ray Sampson at Lazy Dog Shooting Supplies in Ballylanders.
    Both Ray and his wife are extremely helpful and carry a good stock of everything.Lots of hunting gear, stuff for clays.Excellent layout and if he says he'll get something in for you he will.
    Kinda fella you can deal with too.....willing to haggle a bit.

Seriously reccommend him!!!!

Vinniew

Advertisement