Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunshop Reviews

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

scout wrote:
    this bis the gunshop review thread:confused:

its already been moved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

Hi Folks.

I am the recent owner of a new rifle and went for a look around a few gun shops to see what was available by way of accessories recently.
    I then went looking for somewhere to regester my disgust at what passes as customer service and bumped into this website.
    I have been looking through the threads and see that ive been beaten to The punch.
    Out in Tallaght Rod and Gun today---Never again!
    I felt (similar to others it seems) that I had been disturbing and annoying them by coming into their shop.
    I had my licence with me and baught some amo.
    Getting information out of them was like pulling teeth.
    The girl behind the counter didnt realy know much and yer man in the back would only shout answers to some questions.
    Thankfully they both disappeared after i paid for the ammo which left me to look around to see what else was there. Saw a gun case i had been looking for but hadnt the heart to disturb them any more.
    Avoid at all costs.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

Have to agree with ya about Tallaght Rod and Gun was there this morning Never again! Felt like I had disturbed them and wasnt at all welcome. Getting information was like pulling teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

hi,been an avid reader for while now and found boards to be a great source for all my queries ( even without me having to post a query ),my experience with rod and gun and with stephen has always been an ordeal,only for i live in tala area i would not shop in it,its local and handy for that last minute supply of ammo,its like walking into a funeral home,do be afraid to look around or disturb them from that cave they have at the back,they must take off their balaclavas when customers leave cos they are robbing f****ers,it does kill me to go to it,between them and the garda public office,im surprised rod and gun is still in business,cos every application they receive at the front desk goes to a special location,...........the bin,...........but credit to the district office and the f/o there,he is a gent and compared to his colleagues at the front desk extremely helpful, sorry if thread goes off on tangent,i seldom post on boards. HELP NEEDED* need name and number of a gun shop near carnew that i was in before,shop/pub owner was a star,its part of the pub named the station,its in camoline i think.tanxs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

ELP NEEDED* need name and number of a gun shop near carnew that i was in before,shop/pub owner was a star,its part of the pub named the station,its in camoline i think.tanxs

John Lambert
    Camolin, Co. Wexford.

086 2616907

(Details from ad in this month's Target Sports magazine. Great shop by the way.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

thanks for the prompt reply civdef...greatly appreciated,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

I have also delt with John Lambret and I can highly reccommend him. Top man and resonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Found the guy behind the counter great, got the first gun, Yildiz O/U, and now im getting a Brno rifle off him. He just threw in a slip, didn even have to ask and it wasnt bottom of the range either. Would definitely reccomend him, they are moving shop at the moment, not sure whether they are comin or goin from where they are now, so selection isnt that good at the moment.

Customer service was top notch, felt very welcomed...................

Where they moveing too?

Rew wrote:
    Where they moveing too?

Dunno Rew when i was over there last tuesday the guy said they were low on shotguns because they were moving!! Now i dont know whether they are moving into or out of where they are now sorry!!

Ive to go back over for a rifle on mon/tues so ill find out and clear it up alright!!!!

• Advertisement

Ill be in there for ammo during the week anyway so ill be talking to him.

Rew wrote:
    Ill be in there for ammo during the week anyway so ill be talking to him.

Fair enough no bother, if im wrong(was lookin at the guns while he was talking to me, he may as well have been talkin to a field of thistles)just tell him some g!mp told ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was in Courtlough recently,great selection of guns,was shown a number of
    models and price ranges,despite my greeness staff were patient and helpfull and threw in free lesson as well after i'd made my selection.Highly recommended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Went into to buy cartridges in Rory's temple bar on friday.I was in the shop over twenty minutes from start to finish.First they couldnt find teh keys to the safe,then they got me the wrong number shot,then they got me the wrong brand,then they got me an expensive brand,then the brought the right brand but the wrong shot and so on.I then asked about .22 ammo which they eventually admitted to having,couldnt find the price,found the price only to discover they'd sold out.

Was also in Courtlough recently, and they are a gerat bunch of lads.

Had a great days shooting and a good range of guns and gun perihperals present as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 baikal

another very helpful shop . 2 or3 boys in it working nearly always. knowlageable and helpful. if you ask you can look in gun room alright. prices alright for this area also

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Griffith Hawe in Athy is my local and have got to know John who is alway helpful so they get my thumbs up. the first time i set foot inside the door of Outdoor Hobbies i was made to feel welcome. but that guy in Kilkenny town(can't remember the name) did'nt want to know and i was standing there with a o/u i wanted to trade. if that was'nt establising my bonofides i don't know what is???
    yer man Steven, in Tallaght Rod and Gun isn't so bad when he gets to know your face. i used to get my ammo there for convenience before Dublin burnt me out and i moved back to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

your man in kilkenny is a nightmare i went in looking for ammo he waited a few minutes before he got up then was slow to find the thing ammo was well overpriced 15.95 and i normally pay 12 when looking for a rifle i noticed he didnt handle them paticularly well and didnt take good care of them

theres a local lad in kk who runs a shop out the back of his house (fully licenced) and will give me good deals on ammo and guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

Was in there for ammo the other day and he's going nowhere...Thankfully..:)

As i thought i heard wrong, thats what i get for lookin at the guns while someone is talking to me.......... Good anyway because thats going to be the only place im doing business for the forseeable future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

watch this 1!! if your going to buy anything from the butcher make sure you have your prices well researched. great selection. if he hasn't got it he 'ill get it but it ill cost you and arm and leg. this guy always reminds me of the asian shops in lanzerote selling electronics. any trick they can think off. this guy screwed me big time.

scully has quite a bit of stock he prefers to sell what he has rather than order anythin. but your gonna have to listen the war stories about iraq, secret service, cia, marines, tt races. he has a great imagination [/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 premier1

Rovi wrote:
    Best prices I've yet found for ammunition, and carries a very good range of calibres/loads.
    Sean likes his rifles and target shooting, so there's a great range of rifles (new and used), and lots of scopes and other goodies.
    Plenty of shotguns too, with a good range of competition/trap guns.
    Good selection of clothing and accessories.
    Free access to the gun room once you've established you're not a nutcase, and all the friendly chat you might want.

My favourite! :)

sean is one helpful lads in the shooting game will incourage young shooters and will help with little things a lot of other places wont bother with like getting stuff on order

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Plenty of useful information so far. I've always found that Athlone - Gerry Scully has a good selection as does Jim griffin in Rahan, Tullamore. The guys in Outdoor Hobby in Leixlip also can usually get anything you want to order (they are quite slow though)

One thing for consideration, my understanding (maybe wrong) is that Gun Dealers allowing people into their Gun Rooms is not looked at favourably in certain quarters. It might be a good idea to avoid detailing those that push the boat out in this way for their customers. (They are supposed to bring the guns out to the counter etc. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

dfaf wrote:
    watch this 1!! if your going to buy anything from the butcher make sure you have your prices well researched. great selection. if he hasn't got it he 'ill get it but it ill cost you and arm and leg. this guy always reminds me of the asian shops in lanzerote selling electronics. any trick they can think off. this guy screwed me big time.
    Humm,OTOH he must be quite a tolerant guy.I have a 2k SSG sitting in his store for the last two years awaiting a Super to put pen to paper with a quater of a deposit on it.Last dealer I had a situation with[now thankfully deceased] sold the gun from under me and then took my deposit for "storage charges for a year" of 400 Punts!!!!:mad:
    scully has quite a bit of stock he prefers to sell what he has rather than order anythin. but your gonna have to listen the war stories about iraq, secret service, cia, marines, tt races. he has a great imagination [/
    If U have been a member of three of those organisations,you wont have to talk about it .And if you did U would have to kill your listners.:eek: :eek:

Usually a disease that afflicts UK gundealers for some reason.They think the RFD gives them authorisation to go off equipping mercenaries going off to Bosnia,the local and international villian scene with reacted SMGs and handguns or puts them in appointment to supply MI5/6 with weaponary.:eek:
    Either busisness is dreadful in the UK,or being a RFD does things to your sanity.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

They have a new shop in Castlebar but I've dealt with them for
    a few years on and off in the old place. Great selection of
    shooting equipment and extremely helpful..... They do some fishing gear too....

smallfry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Humm,OTOH he must be quite a tolerant guy.

I have a 2k SSG sitting in his store for the last two years awaiting a Super to put pen to paper with a quater of a deposit on it.

or being a RFD does things to your sanity.:eek:
    :)
    as i siad anything for a sale
    boy you're unlucky with your firearm applications (2 years for your glock as well) if it was me i d have cracked up by now.
    which ssg is it sauer / styer? they are that very dangerous black colour aren't they?
    that has been suggested before:D
    none of that walter miity sh!t with mod: No names, no pack drill just relevant info (but watch him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

boy you're unlucky with your firearm applications (2 years for your glock as well) if it was me i d have cracked up by now.

Patience is a shooters and hunters virtue .That goes for all of us here.We only waited what,32 odd years to get our liscenses back.:)
    which ssg is it sauer / styer? they are that very dangerous black colour aren't they?

Steyr SSG mod P.Oh yes!:) ;) it is very black.A deadly SWAT black,that makes it deadly to anyone within a 100miles of it,who should catch a glance of it,they shall be turned to stone.:rolleyes: .
    none of that walter miity sh!t with mod: No names, no pack drill just relevant info (but watch him]
    Thanks for the heads up!Mind naming names here or Sparks might go off accusing you of libeling him, mod: No names, no pack drill and doom and the apocalypse will surely follow.:) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks might go off accusing you of libeling him
    Yeah, because that's my personal MO, that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Does anyone know what the story is with Outdoor Hobby in Leixlip? Are they moving locations or closed? I've being trying to ring them (on 01-6104426) all week but their phone isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Seamus357 wrote:
    Does anyone know what the story is with Outdoor Hobby in Leixlip? Are they moving locations or closed? I've being trying to ring them (on 01-6104426) all week but their phone isn't working.

Look back on this thread and you will find a number for George at Outdoor Hobby.... a gentleman who will be only too willing to talk to you!!

Advertisement