Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Fastlane" Closed on M4

Options
  • 09-12-2005 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Travelling inbound on the M4 today...noticed a sign saying that the "fast lane" was closed ahead.....Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a driving lane & overtaking lane on motorways and no such thing as a fast lane...
    What hope is there for us if even the authories can't get it right! :confused:
    The term fastlane opens up all sorts of arguments because everyone's perception of what fast is can differ greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I noticed this before and you are right but
    a) it looks like there isn't enough room on the display to spell out "overtaking lane"
    b) even if there was room to spell it, clueless drivers wouldn't know what they were on about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

BrianD3 wrote:
    I noticed this before and you are right but
    a) it looks like there isn't enough room on the display to spell out "overtaking lane"
    b) even if there was room to spell it, clueless drivers wouldn't know what they were on about
    They could write "right" lane closed or something

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They don't need to use words at all, there's a perfectly good symbolic road sign for that specific purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Alun wrote:
    They don't need to use words at all, there's a perfectly good symbolic road sign for that specific purpose.
    Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

There is a sign on the Cork south ring road - Warning adverse camber ahead -
    it's ignored along with all the other signs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

it's ignored along with all the other signs.
    A lot of the time the signs are "crying wolf" anyway. Yesterday on the M4 (eastbound) I saw the signs which fletch mentioned. For good measure there were also the symbolic signs that alun mentioned. But was the overtaking lane closed? Nope, it was open all the way.

But here's a better one. There is a sign on a pole in Kinnegad that warns of delays due to roadworks in January. You might think that its talking about January 2006? Nope - it was put up in December 2001 for roadworks in January 2002.

Advertisement