Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Rappers

• 09-12-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I was gonna make a poll but i wont bother cos i know i'll leave a few out, but who are peoples fav dead rappers, I'm guessing most people will say 2Pac but give others aswell.

Like:
    Eazy-E
    Biggie
    Big Pun
    Big L
    Jam master Jay (i know he wasn't a rapper as such)
    ODB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Biggie for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

Big L but Biggie isn't far off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

2pac is number one...kadafi 2.......big L or biggie 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Big Pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

My favourates are either 2pac or Eazy-E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Pac, Biggie, Easy E, not in any particular order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

2pac and biggie none of the others made the same impact as they did, maby jmj but only as part of a group not as a rapper. Pun is overrated imo good but overrated. Big l is a bit of a reach he never really made it big until he died and people tried to turn him into the next 2pac just cause he was dead. Eazy-E was pure garbage as a rapper and is only rememberd cause of nwa, again thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Bigge and Big L, i havent listened to much Big Pun at all, i have Capital Punishment, must give it a listen...just because someone didnt make it big doesnt mean they didnt deserve to.

ubu wrote:
    just because someone didnt make it big doesnt mean they didnt deserve to.

Well its good noone said that then isnt it.

No way is Pun overrated.Listen to Beware again,some of the greatest verses ever from any rapper.Lyrically he was a giant,better then Pac and yes even better then the mighty Immortal Technique.:D :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

eazy and ODB made huge impacts both in N.W.A and Wu Tang respectivley as well as solo projects. eazy was the voice behind some of the most influencial songs in hip hop and ODB's stlye was the voice of the clan for their first album.

big syke wrote:
    eazy and ODB made huge impacts both in N.W.A and Wu Tang respectivley as well as solo projects. eazy was the voice behind some of the most influencial songs in hip hop and ODB's stlye was the voice of the clan for their first album.

I would have said ghost face was the face of wu tang.

I'm inclined to agree that ODB was the face of the Wu-Tang,but only because of his continously odd antics.

But that doesn't change the fact that both ODB and E were weak MC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

i said he was the voice (not the face) behind the clan because he had the most original reccognisable voice. i agree that both ODB and eazy werent the best MCs. i only mentioned them because kristok said "none of the others made the same impact as they did" (talking about 2pac and biggie) but i felt they had huge impacts

Yes meant voice not face. Dont think odb made any impact with his music he was more known for his bizare going ons but he did have some good songs.

Kristok wrote:
    Eazy-E was pure garbage as a rapper and is only rememberd cause of nwa, again thats just my opinion.

Eazy-E is a fantistic rapper his unique vioce and lyrical flow was amazing, from a purely rapping point of view (not from production) he Made N.W.A.

And his solo stuff is Brilliant even the stuff that Dre had nothing to do with "It's on(DRE)187um Killa" was a brilliant EP. It's available in HMV for under 12 Euro i'd advise anyone to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

That was him basically having a go at dre, its not bad, as far as making NWA, Ice Cube wrote something like 80% of the lyrics and had the most presence on the mic so id go with him.

Ice cube could be seen as the "lead" of N.W.A but consider the album NIggaz4Life, no ice cube and still a great album.

Dont get me wrong Ice Cube is a great rapper but N.W.A were good for awhile without him.

And theres no need for anyone to say "they just had one more album when Cube left hence he made them" NO it was all over financial reasons, mainly between Dre and Eazy that they enevitably broke up.

Just as an ironic aside, the lyric in Gangsta Gangsta #it's not about the saloury it's all about reality# is funny because they broke up because of money reasons, hee hee:D :D

Well cube wrote the songs and dre did the beats. Cube left and they still had dre so even half decent lyrics would keep them sounding good but eventually dre leaving was what killed them. Easy e was the leader in a way but as far as music I see him as a bit of a puppet for dre and cube. I just dont see him as any kind of legend he was around legends but after nwa he was more known as a radio personality than a rapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Kristok wrote:
    . Eazy-E was pure garbage as a rapper and is only rememberd cause of nwa, again thats just my opinion.

i agree with most of wat u say but yr attack on easy man cant b tollerated easy was quailty listen to some nwa stuff man its quailty some of his **** is quailty 2pac and biggie are the best though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Easy-E was a great emcee, best in NWA imo

Klimseven wrote:
    Easy-E was a great emcee, best in NWA imo

Ice Cube followed closely by Ren.

The rest were blah.Straight off the streets was strong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Easy-E was the best in NWA

chiller wrote:
    i agree with most of wat u say but yr attack on easy man cant b tollerated easy was quailty listen to some nwa stuff man its quailty some of his **** is quailty 2pac and biggie are the best though!

I dont personally think he was any good, he was ghost written for by cube when with nwa and thats a well known fact he funded nwa he was the crazy little guy everyone liked but he was not anything more than someone reading cubes writing. Now im not sure of the situation if his own albums where ghost written but any of the stuff ive heard from his post nwa era I didnt like. But it dosnt matter really what I think if you liked him cool its all down to what everyone likes themselves I just dont think he was up there with biggie and pac, or even pun and big l when it comes to rappers whove passed on but on the other hand he was more well know then the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

only thing im going to argue with:

eazy was the face of nwa he was the main man of nwa, he had to be he was screwing them outta money he set the group up, no eazy e means no nwa pure and simple, he a good voice and all but he wasnt writing his own stuff so as a rapper hes not really that good :/ he'll always be one of my favourites tho, it was his voice that made me like nwa in the first place and it was becaue of that that i got into the music.

but i have to big L was a lyrical great some of his lines are pure class, best wordplay of a rapper imo.

big pun is amazing did he ever do any tracks with Twista? they wud sound amazing together!

someone try to remember the big L line about butthead, sumthing like "ask beavis i get everything butt-head" crazy line gotta go find the song he drops it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ask Beavis I get nuthin butt-head

Pen0s wrote:
    only thing im going to argue with:

eazy was the face of nwa he was the main man of nwa, he had to be he was screwing them outta money he set the group up, no eazy e means no nwa pure and simple, he a good voice and all but he wasnt writing his own stuff so as a rapper hes not really that good :/ he'll always be one of my favourites tho, it was his voice that made me like nwa in the first place and it was becaue of that that i got into the music.

but i have to big L was a lyrical great some of his lines are pure class, best wordplay of a rapper imo.

big pun is amazing did he ever do any tracks with Twista? they wud sound amazing together!

Im not trying to take anything away from easy e he was part of something big and without him it would never have happened, and without dre or cube he could never have made it happen with anyone else either. Im going to try find his album and give it a listen to see if theres anything I like on it maby ill change my mind.

Big L was great at times, ebonics gets heavy rotation on my mp3 player but I just dont see him as a great. He had potential and had some good songs but no consistant album just potential that he might have been big.

If there is a big pun and twista song id like to hear it cant imagine it being any good but would be wroth a listen. Theres a project for a budding remixer out there if i ever saw one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

you might not like easy e, but he was a strong front man for the group. he epitomised everything that NWA were supposed to stand for. i do prefer cube and ren myself, but he wasnt too bad.

big puns capital punishment is a super album. i haven't listened to it in a long time, will have to root it out and give it a listen again.

2pac did put out alot of good stuff, thug life, me against the world, all eyes on me and makavelli are all quality albums. i especially like the track pain, which was released as a b-side on the regulate single for the above the rim soundtrack. the track wasn't on the soundtrack album itself and i haven't seen it on any of his albums (it could be on one of the albums that have come out since he died, but i've given up on the whole 2pac thing at this stage). if you want to hear it, send me a private message with your email address and i'll mail you the mp3.

how about a mention for Cowboy from the FUrious Five, easily gave melle mel a run for his money.

and also Scott le Roc (no Scott le Roc means no Boogie Down Productions) and thats a hell of a lot more significant then there being now NWA in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

That song I think was just on the cassette version of the soundtrack. Its not on any of his albums but there is a remix on ja rules pain is love album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

2 pac because he was the best and biggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Yeh i agree with a few here. Im more of a fan of tupac then any of the other dead rappers..

Advertisement