Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connection issues

• 09-12-2005 7:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Netgear WGR614 router and am connecting my PC to it with a 3com usb dongle, but for the last day or so I've had loads of trouble with the connection.

It seems to be stable when I connect via ethernet, so the connection itself wouldn't be the issue, but even when I have the laptop next to the router it has trouble connecting, so it's not a range issue either.
    It's wierd, up until now I've had no trouble at all with it, could it be the dongle (given that a connection is going through the router, and the wireless light is on even though the pc cannot connect)? Or could it still be the router that's causing the trouble?
    I keep meaning to get a PCMCIA card for my laptop so I don't have the usb dongle sticking out, maybe it got damaged or something, although it seems OK.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can test to see which is causing the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Can you just clarify one or two things:
    - How many USB dongles do you have? (I think you're trying to say that you share the dongle between the PC and laptop..not clear..)
    - What is the actual problem? (The PC is not connecting? ..but the laptop is..?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sorry, I just have a laptop, by PC I meant my laptop, force of habit!
    So I just have 1 usb dongle, and while the laptop is connecting it keeps dropping, sometimes it stays for ages, and sometimes it drops after only a few seconds connection.

Have you tried running netstumbler for a while to see if anyone nearby is using Wireless nearby?

does the connect drop when it's in use, or during a period of inactivity?
    do you use static IP addressing or DHCP?

do you know someone that could provide you with a temp. loan of a PCMCIA or USB card?
    (if not, PM me on Monday and I'll dig one up and post it..)

For now:
    - disable power saving on the client and router (Set it to C.A.M. or similar)

It is a bit odd that it would just fail after it had been working..
    - change the channel on the router (to rule out interference)

- if it's still not working
    - do 3COM offer software that can test the dongle's functionality?
    - reinstall the driver for the dongle
    - remove the connection (Remove it from Preferred Networks) from your machine and set it up again..and if this still fails, reset the router as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks a lot for your help and kind offers, given that I'm new to wireless I didn't even know where to begin, but changing the channel seems to have done the trick so there must have been some kind of interference on the one I was using.

Would that always be a wireless network? I assume any kind of wireless signal (radio, even) could effect the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

cordless phones, microwaves are some things that can cause interference.

• Advertisement

other WiFi networks can disrupt the signal if they're close enough,
    cordless phones to a lesser (Yet conceivable) extent.
    I have never heard of a microwave disrupting a network connection. I couldn't imagine it doing so unless the microwave was right next to the computer... (IMO: it'd be worth it for the convenient popcorn!)

Aside: Has anyone ever experienced (and confirmed) a microwave interfering with their network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

not personally but its often cited as an interference source. But then again maybe thats only if ur router is inside with the pop corn. :p

Advertisement